Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Nintendo DS / Colors! – Setup Tutorial

After I have been asked by several people about how to set up the Nintendo DS (lite) to work with colors, I thought I'd rather post a HOW-TO here. I'm not an expert and had to work myself through a lot of Google pages and forum archives to make it work, so I'm not taking responsibility if you nuke your DS

Nintendo DS Lite

For those who do not know what the buzz is all about: The Nintendo DS (lite) is a portable gaming device that comes with 2 screens (DS = dual screen), WiFi support and a stylus. But you can use it as a painting device as well, something like a Wacom Cintiq, just smaller, cheaper and with a computer build in. You can use either the original DS or the DS lite, but I recommend using the DS lite. The LCD screens are brilliant, while the DS screen is rather dull and dark. And hands down, it looks hot, while the old DS looks as if a toaster mated a blender.

Colors!

Selfmade, free appz for portables are called "Homebrew". There are about 5 painting applications at the moment, the best so far is Colors! It is equipped with the basic functions you need to paint digitally.

• 1024px wide document
    • color-picker
    • 2x/4x zoom
    • a colorwheel
    • hard/soft brushes
    • pressure-sensitivity for both, opacity and size
    • horizontal/vertical image flipping
    • PLAYBACK function (see the whole process of a picture)
    • Saving to up to 8 slots
    • Uploading your pics to the official Colors! gallery via WiFi

Accessoires you'll need to get Colors! running on your DS

M3 DS Simply / R4 Revolution adapter cartridge

The DS has two slots that hold game cartridges. A big one at the front for old Game Boy Advanced cartridges (Slot-2), and a smaller one at the back of the device for DS games (Slot-1). It doesn't connect to a computer tho, as there's no way to plug it in via USB. The M3/R4 is an adapter cartridge that holds a microSD card to make the transfer from your computer to the DS. M3 and R4 are the same device, just by two different companies. I use the R4, it works fine.

microSD card

This one stores the data. The microSD is tiny. I mean, TINY! It's hardly the size of my little finger's nail. You can connect it to your computer either by a capable card-reader, by converting it into a normal SD-card via adapter (first pic), or via USB-stick with a slot for the card (second pic). Make sure you have one of these. Most microSDs come with an adapter or USB-stick.

How to set it all up

1. M3/R4 Kernel
    Plug the microSD into your computer. Download the "operating system" for either R4 or M3 and follow the instructions. Basically, you just put them onto your microSD.

2. Test Kernel
    I was skipping this step and the programs didn't work. Put the microSD into your DS and turn it on. You should see the M3/R4 menu with 3 selection on your touchpad (Games, Multimedia, Slot-2 or derivates). Turn it off and put the microSD back into your computer.

3. Download Colors!
    Ai Caramba!

4. Install Colors!
    Copy the .nds file to the root of the microSD. Put the card into your DS and start.

5. Patch Colors! Only if the step above doesn't result in a functioning application!
    Usually, you can skip this step. If the application doesn't work, you need to download a so called DLDI-tool to patch all downloaded applications before copying them onto your card. Find them in the second list on the Official DLDI website. The file that has to be patched is the .nds file. It's the only file you need to copy to the card later. When you're asked for the medium that the application will be patched for, select M3/R4 or similar.

6. Run Colors!
    Power-On. Select "Games" or "Applications" and choose the colors.nds. Press "A"-button to run the program.

7. Calibrate the stylus
    I was shocked to find out that Colors! wouldn't let me paint with full opacity. Press the "Start"-button, choose calibrate!

The eMail function

It seems like Colors! uses the .drw file of the image as a base for the image that is created. It saves the strokes made and that data can be used to generate an image. With the build in eMail function, you can send a copy of your image to yourself. Why would you do that when you can actually just transfer the data via USB? Pretty simple: The eMail function uses a 1024px wide image and redraws your painting, while you can only transfer the 512px wide image from the microSD. You'll receive an non-interpolated 1024px wide image instead of the usual low-res .png file.

1. Set up WiFi on your DS
    First you need an original, WiFi-enabled Nintendo game as there is no other way (of my knowledge) to set up WiFi on your DS. So get a cheap game that has a WiFi-function, e.G. for multiplayer mode. Most of those games have a "WiFi"-button in the main-menu or options-menu that lets you connect your DS to your local WLAN-network.

2. E-mail it to yourself
    In Colors, open your painting, press the "Start" button and select "WiFi" in the lower right corner. You will be connected to your WLAN-network and you will be asked if you want to connect to the Colors! gallery. Accept, wait, and you'll receive a message that says that the gallery is not yet ready. Tap the screen and you will be prompted to type in an e-mail address. Enter your own and you're done. Enter a friend's e-mail to send love-letters made in Colors!

Frequently asked questions

Where's the f*** colorwheel?
    It's mapped to the index-finger buttons on the back of the DS!

Credits

yAdam for pointing out the DLDI misunderstanding
    donkeyslaver for telling the world that the images are actually 1024pixels wide.
    sparth and again donkeyslayer for the email-function hint.

HAVE FUN
    Last edited by Jabo; February 14th, 2010 at 09:08 PM.

2. The Following 45 Users Say Thank You to Jabo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 625 Posts

Thanks
    Nice one dude. Sketchling introduced the uk to colors and it's awesome... I tried to do the DLDI stuff first of all, but all you actually have to do is download the latest firmware for the m3 (not sure about the r4) and then all you have to do is add the latest version of colors to the micro card.

Here's a link to the firmware...http://www.kiwiclx.com/nds/
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    *Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

• The Following User Says Thank You to yAdam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Also, if you have a Pocket PC there's a program called Pocket Artist that is around $50 and has direct compatibility with Photoshop. You can also set the resolution of the image pretty high (I haven't tried the highest settings but I made a 1024x768 sketch once).

It's another alternative to drawing tablets but if you already have the DS it might be cheaper to modify it as Pocket PCs run about $300 and up.

24-bit color editing, including transparency support and 23 blending modes
    Open and save your PSD, JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP, TGA, J2K images
    Painting tools, such as variable-opacity Paintbrush, Pencil, with sketch mode
    Batch JPEG Processing: scale/rotate many images at once
    IPTC/EXIF Support, Caption Editor: tag your JPEG images with metadata
    Layer, masks, channels support
    Gradient, Paintbucket, and quick shape tools
    Color, Brightness, Levels adjustment, with grain reduction and color retouching
    Pluggable Image Filters such as Noise and Unsharp Mask
    Floating selections, Grids, Guides, Ruler, and Snap-to support
    Pluggable brush packs and gradient packs
    Animated GIF Wizard, with full palette support: HSB, Gray, Web-Safe color picker
    Multilevel Undo, Virtual Memory Swapfiles Engine: load and edit large images

Thanks
    Thanks guys. Glad to hear it's useful.

yAdam: Thanks for pointing that out. I did a little research and it seems as if some applications, especially the ones that consist of just one .nds file, work without patching. Others need the patch to work, especially older ones.

Joshua Fountain: Nice to see that there are alternatives. I wonder, tho if there's a Pocket PC available with pressure sensitivity?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    I use colors on my ds-xtreme 4gbit, and it works like a charm. Just thought i'd mention that as an alternative. It comes with a usb cable for easier transfer, if thats important to you.

Thanks
  • Jabo :

"New features of Pocket Painter 1.50 :
    •Support pen pressure simulation "

So I think it does have penpressure support.

Thanks
    and just in case ppl missed it...this screen shot helps pretty damn intuitive button mapping i must say

Thanks
    its not working on my SC Lite.
    Ill spend some more hours on this later today.
    Thank you for making this thread and reminding me!

Thanks
  • homebrew doesn't work well on ds lite red...
    So if you bought the ds together with mario kart or something, and got a red one.. Then you have limited chance to get colors working on your ds..
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    Hey, totally random question.

I heard that the DS lite's power button is on the right side of the syestem, and it slides on and off.

I'm left handed, and I'm worried I'm gonna get my new syestem and keep shutting it off with the hand I'm holding with!

And thanks for the Heads up Dile! For those of you who do have and run Colors, on your DS, what kind do you have so I can make sure without a doubt that what I order will work.

Thanks
    HOLY FUCK IT HAS ZOOM NOW?! *scuttles of for ds*

Thanks
    Cool Jabo, thanks bro.

I ordered my R4 card yesterday, and asked for a DS lite for xmas. Ya, I'm 32 and still ask santa for presents. Nothing like getting a new game system xmas morning. Ya gotta stay young at heart yo

-c
    chris steingart

ca sketchbook 2
    blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dile_ View Post
    Jabo :

"New features of Pocket Painter 1.50 :
    •Support pen pressure simulation "

So I think it does have penpressure support.
    "Simulation" often means it's a fade effect like Photoshop has. Still better than nothing, but it doesn't mean it's actually pressure sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by paperX View Post
    and just in case ppl missed it...this screen shot helps pretty damn intuitive button mapping i must say

Yeah, although I'd really like to switch the hand-tool and colorpicker. I use the colorpicker more often and would like to have it on the left-button.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhan Juju View Post
    Hey, totally random question.

I heard that the DS lite's power button is on the right side of the syestem, and it slides on and off.

I'm left handed, and I'm worried I'm gonna get my new syestem and keep shutting it off with the hand I'm holding with!
    I wouldn't mind the power-switch. It's a spring-button, so you really have to push hard and long to turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by csteingart View Post
    Cool Jabo, thanks bro.

I ordered my R4 card yesterday, and asked for a DS lite for xmas. Ya, I'm 32 and still ask santa for presents. Nothing like getting a new game system xmas morning. Ya gotta stay young at heart yo

-c
    Hah, nothing wrong there. My family was never into christmas, actually. We haven't celebrated it for... five years or so. Miss the days when I was all curious about what I'd get. O Well...

Thanks
    Awesome, sparth got his DS apparently!

http://colors.brombra.net/author.php?page=1&id=342

/Waits for review..

Getting mine at monday.. !

• Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast