Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Working in the states.

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Working in the states.

Hey CA,

There has been ongoing discussion as of late around my peers about needing a bachelor to work in the states (if your from outside the US). I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this lately?

All I ever hear from people on CA and several peers and teachers is that you dont need a bachelor to land a job, and that a piece of paper doesnt matter. But in this case, DOES it matter?

I am a canadian citizen, who would love to work in the US at some point, but have no desire to finish art school whatsoever. (costs too much, i learn faster on my own, etc etc) What does my future hold? Should I grind my teeth and get through another 2 and a half years of pure bullshit? Anyone with thoughts or suggestions? Or experience on the matter?

EDIT: Im not actually sure if this is the appropriate section for this topic? I thought about employment discussion, but it looks like no one ever goes there.

Last edited by Amazing Action Ape; October 29th, 2007 at 10:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your mixing up 2 different issues, no you don't have to have educational qualifications to get a job, you 'just' need the talent and ability, but to work legally in another country usually requires a work permit of some kind, and these mandate certain requirements such as work experience and educational achievements. Coming from Canada is easier than most, it's been a while since I had to deal with this issue so I'm not up to date with the latest info, I'm sure you can find out from other sources.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's rather difficult to acquire a work visa for the U.S. without a bachelor's degree or experience, as I understand things (reinforcing what sogbad said). I was at ADAPT Montreal, a conference for artists (I'm also Canadian), and after speaking to a Disney recruiter they were quite upfront about that. Now, I don't have anywhere near your drawing skill man so you may qualify as an "extraordinary talent", which I believe is a category reserved for (mostly) entertainment people, bands etc.

I am sure there are ways around it, but you'd have to be excellent and the company hiring you would certainly have to go to bat for you with U.S. Immigration. From what I see in your sketchblog you are well on your way. Give it a try, apply wherever you intend to work and see what happens. Hopefully someone far more informed than I will be able to shed more light on this. Good luck my fellow Canuck!

Cheers

*edit* I didn't really answer some of your questions! Sorry. If you can stomach the time, I would say to stick with it. Even though you may already have the skill to get work as an animator / concept guy somewhere, the degree opens the way legally to work abroad and will certainly make you more appealing, especially to the lawyers of whatever company you apply to! If they like you, they will go to bat regardless, but having that piece of paper will make things much easier with immigration.

Last edited by Shaolin7; October 31st, 2007 at 08:18 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shaolin7 For This Useful Post:

Zaxser is offline Steph Laberis Fanboy Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of artsts (Gez Fry for example) have jobs in one country while living in another country. If Art School is really bullshit for you, you must have alot of time on your hands. Here's what I'd do: Go try to get a job in the industry. If you get the job, and find you can support yourself, consider getting out.

A caveat, though: I don't necessarily have more experience than you do.

Do you Mentler?

Booting up a new sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the responses guys. It would probably be best to stick it through and finish all 4 years if I think about it intelligently, its just god damn expensive!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.