Digital Painting Process: Tips and Tricks for Character Design in Photoshop
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Digital Painting Process: Tips and Tricks for Character Design in Photoshop

This is how I currently work, well, most of the time. I change how I work every now and then, and some artists would probably not be comfortable working like this at all. Still, I hope this little documentary is of some use.

Notes:

By working with lines and masses early, and gradually increasing the 'resolution' of the design (note: not res. as in pixels) I do not have to deal with render stuff too early. I want to be unconstrained in the creative stage. One problem I've been having is going into details and rendering too early. Sometimes I felt that since I had spent time rendering a detail, I should keep it despite not liking it a lot. Also, I never quite got the hang of doing design with solid strokes of light and shadow. Some people might be more comfortable throwing strokes on the canvas and gradually refining those into details, but I've found out rather recently that working with gradually refined lines gives me better results. I follow up quickly with grays or some color to make the silhouette read, which brings me to...

Coloring inside lines takes precious time, so I just use the Magic Wand (my I make sure my silhouettes have no leaks). I want to spend my time being creative, not doing machine labor. If you notice crisp edges, it's because I have no aliasing on the wand selection. Not sure why, I haven't experimented with that yet. When rendering (painting over the whole thing) I sometimes give the edges a little attention.

Keeping colors and shadows in layers is good, because I can change them separately. However, I tend to flatten if I'm doing lasso+transformation stuff (like fixing placement and proportion).

I may have neglected to say:

Rendering (as in painted with a sculpted look) can bring some issues to my attention which I could not see in the line art with color block in. Apples and oranges those two can be. With lines and color I can get a good feel of the masses of a design quite early, but when it comes to details... rendering can give me a new angle. I just want to make sure that I at least have something sensible before getting entangled in rendering and polish.

It doesn't actually take that much time rendering stuff up when I have the colors and shadow blocked in adequately. Kill some edges, add extreme shadow and highlight, work with the edges between light and shadow (which might have some saturation and hue shift), hues in general, etc. Got another tutorial for that (recently updated a tiny bit).

I use Photoshop 5.5. Because it's all I have, and I fear the newer versions are bloated.

Split the image into two (attachment size limit). I also have it on my site. These are 1:1 work size. Most of the time, I usually work so I can scale down to 50% (or 40,30,20,15 etc). General pinups can be some 500-2500 pixels X or Y. Unless I do stuff for print, then I go higher.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Sepulverture; November 24th, 2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: try and try again - prometheus; clean up and reorganizing - sepulverture
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

2. The Following 82 Users Say Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Prom, this is a great tut. You make things seem so effortless. Thanks for the tut!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOOO! Thanks Niklas!
    Comparison between visual communication and verbal communication on the last image is brilliant!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely to get a new tutorial from you, it very clearly explains your working process, I found it to be enlightening many thanks, prom.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    oh yeah, thank you prom!!

sorry this took so long, but more
    people should appreciate your awesomness!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wasai, this is some nice stuff here man! Thanks for sharing

Have a nice day!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    u should get the best tutorial ever award for this one. me loves it so much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I'm glad someone necro'd this post. Very very cool! The technique is great, but it's the bug warriors you did for the tutorial that really impress I want a whole line of bug warrior action figures!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hell ya! i have a bug fever now(in a good way). I love how easy to follow this tutorial is! well done sir, well done.

The greatest reward for me is when people look at my stuff and feel inspired enough to help me learn by harsh critiques, they will never fall on deaf or defensive ears and will be applied post haste! thanks in advance!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=134240

rattsang is offline i am destructor bahhhhhhwwwaaaaaaaa!!!!!! Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome stuff as usual..... thanks so much for this and of course for your other tut on rendering such invaluable info

Last edited by rattsang; January 14th, 2009 at 04:51 AM.
    its time to knuckle down and really lick boot!
    LOOK MOMMY! I laid a sketchbook!
    My Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice tuto pRometeus, really helpfull.

cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't seen this tutorial before. Wow. Really nice.

I like the idea of keeping the technique simple so you can focus on design. I don't know if it would work for me but it's definately valuable lesson.

Thanks for positng.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow those caterpillar worm things are awesome heh loving the designs..great tutorial

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks! I can't wait to try out some of this stuff (starting with solid silhouettes looks difficult to adjust to, but incredibly useful to master)!!! But first, I'm off to your rendering tutorial, then to dig up some of your other artwork!!

Members who have read this thread: 44