Thread: a petrol lurker

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a petrol lurker

Name:  petrolurkercopy.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  66.1 KB
    'ello, name's chris. first post ever. i've browsed and admired the oozing talent around here for quite some time. a bit intimidating, but criticism is a necessary teacher right?
    thanks for takin' a look. thinking about doing a series of industrial junkyard types...

-ck
    www.sketchboy01.blogspot.com

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to CA.

not a bad piece.

here's some things that wrinkled my brow and made me say "hmmm":

-the background isnt working for me. i get a sense of grungy dark atmosphere, but it doesnt seem to go well with the stylization that the figure was drawn in. whereas the figures shadows are crisp, the grainy texture of the background doesnt feel to pair well with the foreground.

- the texture is a bit inconsistant, the brown metal has a nice quality to it, but the cloth of the figure is painted in an entirely different method.

i think i'd like this piece in just black and white (but then again i'm a junky for stark contrast)

sounds like a fun series of images to make, look forward to seeing how they progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool piece. It could make an interesting series. I think that you could make the values work better for you. At the moment, if you turn the image grayscale in photoshop, you'll see what I mean. There's no strong contrast and the figure gets lost. Tweaking the highlights a little more would help you resolve this.

Also, I think a lot of the texture is working well, but the smoke doesn't seem to fit. If you could find a way to stylize it so that it fits in with the rest of the image, it'd work a lot better.

-Karen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm, thanks for the quite valid points~
    i suppose i should be making a more distinct decision whether to go with graphic or rendered elements. originally i had thought the cloak could just be a black shape.
    wonder if i should just go without the linework at all?
    karen- i agree with the smoke. i need to avoid the temptation of using some photoshop brushes just because they're there...sacrifices the cohesion eh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice illustration, is that ink resist for the that texture you got with the black ink? Looks like it but I could be wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome aboard Chris.

There is a big splotchy part of the background that's between the tubes on the guys back. Getting rid of that would show off the shape of the character more I think. I can't tell if I'm looking at the back of his (shredded?) coat or if it's part of the background texture.

Also I keep looking to see if I can see a right hand holding onto the torch thingy, which the perspective looks off a little too. I think showing maybe a bit of forearm/hand grasping the device could help.

And why is his feets cut off? You could draw them in with this character considering you have the space...but over the characters head.

Very interesting looking character I think.

Check out these artists if you don't know them already...

Alex Maleev

Mike Mignola

Alberto Breccia

You are a level 8 ninja and even though you have a lot of weapons sometimes your ninja moves are your most powerful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks fig. its a distress pattern usually used for shirt graphics. i dig some of your concept work you got on yur site
    silvertone: thanks for the artist recommendations. definitely a mignola fan. the back part of his coat is supposed to be shredded or..maybe burned. i'm working on a version with some better siloutte properties to pull it together...and yes indeed, showing the bottom part too. any sugessions for the feet? cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  petrolurkercopy.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  64.0 KBstill a WIP, but trying to figure out a more coherent environment+boots, trying to go for some different material.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good, definitely an improvement. The colors are cleaner and everything feels more coherent. I know you mentioned that you're still working on the boots, but just make sure you check the perspective on his right foot. Instead of being a straight line, it looks like it might need to be at more of an angle.

-Karen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think a more open background would be better for showing off the sillouhette of the character. maybe a dirty polluted skyline with rubble behind. (I'm particularly fond of Alti's painted sketches. Maybe check his stuff on the forums if you like. i think he does a good job of creating forms without getting hung up on precisely rendering stuff)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

this is ooold--

Name:  petrolurker1.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  77.8 KB
    -- but i found it and thought i'd like to share the last incarnation

------------*Optimistic Prime!*------------
    site: www.chriskawagiwa.com
    blog: www.sketchboy01.blogspot.com
    -------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would stick with the first background and add some kind of graffitti on the walls to give it some more functions and give some more clues about the story you are telling with this pic ... also adding some random debris on the ground and against the wall would add to the theme ...

Sedas

"Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking the rules, making mistakes and having fun."

My Sketch Book
    My Art site

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I don't know...I really like the latest version. It 'pops' in a way the earlier one didn't. That's a nicely rendered skidplate.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How did you go about creating that ground in the last pic. Is it a brush, or taken from a reference picture? I have seen some really good looking things like this in various industrial pics and wonder how people do detailed meshes and tiling and things like that. its not free hand is it, because I may go and cry if it is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the latest version. Like someone above said, it just clicks the way the previous ones didn't andI think the new background is much more inspired, personally. Very nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks everyone for your input, it's been very helpful!
    now tis time to finish the next guy in the series-- I'll be thinking more about the environment they live in...

PS: the skidplate indeed is a manipulated photo, from mayang's texture site. i'm faaar too novice with digital painting to being able to do that by brush... one day..one day, we can all be like a Mullins~ =P

------------*Optimistic Prime!*------------
    site: www.chriskawagiwa.com
    blog: www.sketchboy01.blogspot.com
    -------------------------------------

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.