IDW #48: Heavy Lifter - Voting

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW!

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • D-Holme

6 27.27%
  • Zutaiola

16 72.73%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #48: Heavy Lifter - Voting

IDW #48 Topic: Heavy Lifter

Deadline for voting: Tuesday, November 6 2007

No voting for your own entries!

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #48: Heavy Lifter

Last edited by yoitisi; October 29th, 2007 at 05:06 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artist: D-Holme

Artist: Zutaiola

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some notes on this round:

Only two entries this round...was it the topic, deadlines, personal life?? They do not count as excuse Anyway,

GusTheRobot: Since there were so few entries yours almost made it to poll, but when I compare it to your entry for last round I think you can do much better than this. The rendering is a rather messy, and the two extra views are only a few strokes of the brush.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for my colleague D-Holme, I therefore would like to see a little more render. I think the design is really nice but some more sharpening shapes and some more detail with lights and color would have been amazing.

Last edited by Zutaiola; October 30th, 2007 at 09:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by yoitisi View Post
    GusTheRobot: Since there were so few entries yours almost made it to poll, but when I compare it to your entry for last round I think you can do much better than this. The rendering is a rather messy, and the two extra views are only a few strokes of the brush.
    yes i agree with your decision. i didn't finish it plain and simple.

as for the entrants:

D-Holme: Good overall design, mechanically it's quite sound and i don't doubt that it can lift and transport heavy loads. It's extremely easy to understand what's going on at a glance and that's what's important. However, some minor points being the perspective on the cars is a little wierd, and some of your brush strokes seem a little unfinished. It's a good concept but as with everything else the drawing could benefit from a bit more polish.

Zutaiola: It's a good design, more designed for specific uses instead of general purpose moving but my one concern with this particularly is its fuel consumption. VTOL requires a large amount of fuel so it might not be the most efficient method to lift a heavy load. Otherwise it's cool, good job on the rendering.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zutaiola – I like the effect of the canopy glass and the hints at the internals without being consumed with detail. The shell rendition looks nice but maybe it is a little too flawless – some more splits, some distortion or dirt might help bring it out. I think the dark band at the bottom and large font overly dominate the image and my eye is drawn there before the craft itself, not sure but this might be exasperated by the directionality of the wheel struts and exhausts.

My own image – struggled to capture any of the feel I hoped to have with the image. I originally wanted to go for a lower more human point of view but felt the design of the craft would have been lost. My original thoughts were for a lot more of a distorted craft with a stronger ‘unrealistic-pulpy’ influence but I seem to have lost that in the process. More than usual I am not happy about the rendition but even whilst working on it I couldn’t put my finger on what was the crux of the problem.

Thanks for the comments,

Have the time at the end of the day (and not being overwhelmed by entries to crit):
    Gus-the-robot – as it is unfinished it seems un-helpful to crit the rendition so I’ll stick to the technical side. I like the concept of a speciality crane but feel that perhaps it doesn’t match for the topic too well, the nature of the design doesn’t suggest anything that would lift beyond the normal capacity of a small crane. I think the main image could have been stronger if it had shown the arm extended and operating rather than in the ‘travel’ mode as I earlier missed the true extent of the design and only now reviewing it do I fully see it.

Shame that there were so few entries this round I’d have thought that the option of heavy lifting robot etc would have captured peoples imaginations.

MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Members who have read this thread: 1