Art: Best ways to self educate to become an artist
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Best ways to self educate to become an artist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Best ways to self educate to become an artist

Hi everyone,

I wanted to start a thread for all those who want to become artists but haven't had the chance to get education yet for whatever the reason. I'm in a situation in my life where I want to learn as much about art but cannot attend school because of my current work. I'm having trouble finding the most efficient sources to learn like good books, sourcefull internet sites and such are hard to come by.

This forum is obviously a great place to learn but I'm sure there are other sites, books, videos etc as well.

I'd also love to welcome everyone who are going to school to share the techniques, subject, lessons whatever you've learned in school to help us who want to learn outside school.

This thread is open for anyone to share experiences of self studying art, how and what ways school has helped you, the technicues, books, internet sites, whatever that has helped you on your way to becoming an artist.

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA. One place you can start is with the link in my sig called "Concept Art 101". Cheers!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    seedling always does that...

well an education isnt by any means needed to be successful at art. instead it merely guides people in the right direction and accelerates the process faster than they most likely would have come to on their own.

if done properly, an education in art will aid and feed your passion and take it to where you want to go. you get what you put into art.

its debatable about what sources are the 'best' for starting out, but there are people who will openly give advice for where to begin. i advise a fairly generic path, start simple and focus. being passionate and determined are two skills which are invaluable. ive seen alleged 'art' majors who barely do the required work, complain and moan all-the-way, have no conceptual reasoning or idea of thematic motifs which they are interested in exploring, and they pass art classes just fine. passion and determination are fires which burn in all of us, education helps stoke those flames, while others seem without the spark entirely and it reflects in their shallow work.

what i'm getting at is if you take the time to read some threads here on CA, you'll get a good idea of how to establish the foundation for your artistic pursuit. there are endless supplies of books on every aspect of art. perhaps you should share a bit more about your intentions, interests, and goals (do you want to draw figures, landscapes, architecture, vehicles, non-representational kitten splatter painting, photography, graphic design,sculpture, video, printmaking, fabric design, etc.)

draw everyday. its a wonderful habit to get into, and for me personally its a theraputic calming activity of focus that balances all the morons i deal with in the daytime. but more than that, you should make art something you enjoy. what is the point of pursuing a career that doesnt interest you right? and keep a sketchbook with you at all times, in the car, at your desk at work(?), in the living room, in a backpack. you never know when or where inspiration will manifest itself.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Why not start a sketchbook on here?

I say that every time, too; but it helps. Honest!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One of my first art professors gave some simple advice in an early drawing class that still holds true today. Draw what you see, not what you know. He stressed really looking at what your subject is, not what you think it is.

All the best on your adventure into the art world.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll echo what Grief said.

DRAW DAILY it canbe anything. If you love pineapples then draw them, start by drawing things around you, landscqpes, still lives, portraits, using oils; acrylics, pens, pencild, markers and even Photoshop! Get a small wacom tablet (Bamboo recomended) to start out.

Draw anything daily and you will improve. And that is a true statement.

Luis Felipe Ocampo

Portfolio
    Sketchbook | Sketchblog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some online books that might help you--good luck on your journey.

Art Books Online:

The American drawing-book ---"The American drawing-book: a manual for the amateur, and basis of study for the professional artist: especially adapted to the use of public and private schools, as well as home instruction." written by John Gadsby Chapman in 1870

www.applepainter.com ---"The Munsell Color System: A Practical Description With Suggestions for Its Use" written by T. M. Cleland, published in 1921

www.scienceofdrawing.info ---"Practice and Science of Drawing" written by Harold Speed in 1913

www.painting-technique.com ---"The Practice of Oil Painting" written by Solomon J. Solomon in 1914

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.