Thanks

New to zbrush and looking for crits...

Evening!

I've always been a clay, plaster, wood etc. etc. sculptor (not that great, but always trying to improve) and I have always been pretty interested in digital design and modelling, so when I found out about zbrush and programs like it I was eager to try...so I did and this is one of my first attempts at modelling from a sphere primitive (not sure it it's worth using zspheres for something basic like the head). It is a self portrait bust (minus hair) and I worked on it using a wacom for about three and a half hours I think...any and all crits more than welcome, as I'm looking to develop this field, and my modelling from life in general, further in the future.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my work!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    well now that you have a good grasp on roughing out the visual land marks of the face its time open up those anatomy books and just lay them all around your desk and go to work. If you spend at least 4 hours day doing practice heads every day you should see some quick inprovements.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice mate. Yup, I agree; the time for heavy anatomy practice is indeed at hand...would you suggest focussing on a single piece daily, or roughing-up some quicker studies, say four hour-long pieces?

Thanks
    yeah you can isolate what ever part of the figure you want to focus on just keep the refernence close by.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    I agree with noshadowmaster End, also you might consider creating a base mesh in a 3d program and bringing it in to help you with topology. Though it definetely is fun seeing what you can get from a geo primitive. Good luck and keep up the work

Bspark
    www.bbriley.com

Thanks
    Cheers for the comments Bspark: creating the basemesh would definitely cut down the working time for each piece. I have a copy of Silo 2 (is this compatible with Zbrush?) but I'm still shaky on creating forms in it...I will try and get the hang of it though and use this technique for my next set of busts and post the results when they're done.

All the best

Thanks
    Ok; really getting the hang of basemesh modelling now and it does seem to be helping me with getting an accurate form to begin with. This little guy here has come from a two hour modelling session where I decided to have a bit of fun and lay down a character with a bit of expression from my imagination, keeping my trusty anatomy books close by. I have been spending more time latley drawing the head and figure and can already see it paying-off in the improved overall form of the head (fair enough the guy has a massive jaw, but that was part of the powerful, predator look I was aiming for).

Anyways, there's still a long way to go with my modelling but I'd welcome any crits or suggestions you may have

Thanks
    Here is my most recent pieece from Zbrush, this time a two hour study from reference (and a good deal of checking myself in the mirror to be sure). There are still some issues, but I feel that there is definite progres, both in terms of how much I understand what the software is doing and how well I can model what I want in 3D.

Also, can anybody tell me what the hell these two spikees are emerging from either side of this character's nose: I know it must be a problem with the geometry, as the things suddenly start growing from nowhere and can not be smoothed back, but I am unsure how to aoid the problem in the first place. Any help would be greatly appreciated (also crits of the model in general are welcomed, as ever).

Thanks for your interest.

Thanks
    I know you'll probably think of this as irrelevant as you've obviously been concentrating on the features a lot, rather than how the neck joins the body. But ...

Effeminate rounded shoulders contradict the wide thick neck
    The chin to shouldersocket drop is too much
    If you're going to keep going with the bruiser-look, make sure you beef up the neck at the back aswell rather than just sideways, and I think the depressions in the neck between the muscles are too deep.

Impressed by how you've done the wrinkles on the forehead and below the eyelids.

*punches alan in the crotch*

Thanks
    @bloop?

Cheer for the response (though not the punch in the crotch ) mate: all fair crits about the neck and shoulder areas of these pieces and now that I actually look at them they do all look neglected. To be honest, I have only been focussing on the head and little attention has been paid to the shoulders etc, which is probably the reason that they are poorly formed. I'll spend some time working on that for future sculpts though, so cheers.