Penguin Warming
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Penguin Warming

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Penguin Warming

This is a for a fantasy painting i am about to make. Let me know what you guys think. I want to make this the best i can make it.

Last edited by Nike Samothrace; October 28th, 2007 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Picture didnt post right
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The figure is GREAT!!! But the rest of the piece, I'm sorry to say, really doesn't hold up too much against it in terms of perspective. The railings are out of perspective with her,and I don't know where she would be that close and high-up to the Statue of liberty. But the lighting is great, the forms are great- I kind of tried to find the vanishing points of the figure, and applied them to the raling, if you want to change it;

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is very close to being wonderful. I don't think I would have read that as a penguin without the title. Wonderful job with the girl, the statue, and the lighting.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Justin, I assume she's that close and high to the statue because it's supposed to be submerged in melted ice-cap water. Unfortunately, as thing stand now it just looks like a painting of the Statue of Liberty on a wall behind her.
    Also, the penguin is hard to make out, and unconvincing once you do. Neither its anatomy nor the placement of her arms around it look right. Nike, you've run up against the problem with using reference and working in a tight, realistic style: Every part of your image has to be up to the same level as your best piece of reference, in this case the figure.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks guys

Thanks for all the comments so far!

Justin: Thanks for the encouragement on the figure. How did you get perspective lines from looking at the figure? Not that I'm challenging you, i just think that would be a useful thing for me to understand how to do. I will take a look into fixing the railing.

Seedling and Tristan: The penguin comments have come up a couple times now. I'm going to need to really work that out before i move on. This is a project for a Sci-Fi class at SVA, so ill talk to my teacher about how to remedy that, but if you guys have any more input in that area it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again guys, I'll work on it some more to fix these things, ill probably have to do this in the next step. Keeping my drawing flexible until I'm ready to go to final was something i really learned on this piece. I had spray fixed it to bring to class a week ago which was obviously a big mistake, but im sure i can work things out in Photoshop.

Hit me with more comments everyone!

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike Samothrace View Post
    This is a project for a Sci-Fi class at SVA, so ill talk to my teacher about how to remedy that...
    Cool, who's teaching that?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SVA Teacher

Donato Giancola on Mondays at 6 pm. Its a great class. I know you teach a sophomore painting class at SVA, do you teach any others? I am a junior this year and id like to survey as many teachers as i possibly can before i graduate.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.