Art: OMG Antonio Lopez Garcia

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

OMG Antonio Lopez Garcia

My favorite living artist finally showing in da US...

Antonio Lopez Garcia will be showing several paintings at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, starting April 13th. The show continues through July 27, 2008.

http://www.mfa.org/exhibitions/sub.a...15&subkey=5339

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to David Kassan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wow...I like him already!

I found this site: http://www.timlowly.com/a/lopezgarcia.html

Look at the drawing he did when he just 13.

Another living artist I like is Andrew Wyeth.

Thanks
    Whoa... hes paintings look superb.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    He is one of my all time favourite artists. There is a wonderful, wonderful film called 'The Quince Tree Sun' by the film director Victor Erice (also made 'The Spirit of the Beehive) which is a feature film documentary of Garcia Lopez painting the quince tree in his garden. It records the progress of the painting from stretching the canvas, setting up the plumline, watching him making little white marks on the tree itself, the actual painting and the people that come to visit him while it is all going on, and finally the abandonment of the work because of long periods of cloudy weather. It sounds as exciting as watching paint dry, in fact it is an indescribably beautiful viewing experience that is a deeply poetic work in its own right.
    I highly recommend getting a dvd of this if you can.

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

Thanks
    Yes Lopez Garçia is one of my favourite living artists as well, although I must say I 've never seen any works in real life.

His cityscapes are jawdropping, packed with emotion and atmosphere.
    It just takes my breath away.And the bathroom scenes with the window view outside are too much for words. I would love to see that show.

My painting teacher Timothy Stotz went on a fulbright to Madrid on Garçia's recommendation and said that the first time he met him he had tunnel vision on him , haha So inspiring.

www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Art_Addict View Post
    His cityscapes are jawdropping, packed with emotion and atmosphere.
    It just takes my breath away.And the bathroom scenes with the window view outside are too much for words. I would love to see that show.
    Absolutely right. The remarkable thing is that it is all done with extremely modest means - whatever happens to be outside a dreary, plain window and painted with a severly undemonstrative 'handwriting'. Yet so strong is it's emotional force it puts to shame the rather gestural, overblown, melodramatic and glib productions we see so often.
    There was a show of a couple of his landscapes in London a few years back - the big cityscape with the pink sky and the sign on the horizon. The whole thing up close is a series of smudges and little getstures that coax the form into being relentlessly. The form is never greedily snatched at but patiently 'aquired' and understood yet at the same time its fragility is allowed to breath as well.
    It just reminds us that it doesn't matter what face it wears, if the artist has something to say it will be there.

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

Thanks
    First time I've heard about this artist, and I've gotta say you guys are definitely right about him! His work is simply amazing.. jaw-dropping, Hopefully I'll be able to see his art live one day.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    That should be a great show. Kind of a funny side note.... If you're at the museum and looking for that sink painting, it's in the strangest place in the museum. It's located by the bathroom (I think), near the bookshop, away from everything else. My friend told me the work was there and I had the hardest time finding it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.