Sketchbook: Sketchy McSketcherton - shiny and new (sort of)! 02/01/2011 - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Sketchy McSketcherton - shiny and new (sort of)! 02/01/2011

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Geez. Louise. pld:

Makes me wish i had a mentor to give me assignments... but then, you make 'em look easy

You go, girl.

Look, see! Nifty art! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99803

Hey! Check out my blog here
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wait, what?
    More boobs?
    Out of sight.
    You fail my expectations

Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

GiantRibot is offline FOR A BARELY ACCEPTABLE AMOUNT OF JUSTICE!!! Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

fantastic

how do you people get so damn good?

*sigh*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the used car lot of doom What a great concept

I have a question, I'm asking everyone whose technique mystifies me. I have not gotten a straight answer out of ANYONE yet, but I keep asking.

I'm asking not because I want to copy, I'm asking to try and riddle it out. I can't just dumb into doing that I'm just trying to figure out HOW.

I can't seem to manage it on my own, so, I ask. Like I said, it's been a horrible failure. No one seems to want to tell how they do anything, but.. Anyway.

I'm just curious how people get different results from the same program. What brush(es) do you use? What opacity levels? Flow levels? Do you ever use any of the layer options (overlay, soft light, etc)....

It's so mystifying to me, whose been using Photoshop since 5.5 (well, admittedly for graphic design stuff, the painting I've only been doing 2 years) that people can sit down at the same program and completely come up with entirely different results.

The weird thing is, it's not like everyone has massively different styles. They can be collected into a number of categories.

I'm just sitting on the shore with my bamboo stalks, trying to make a raft - and everyone else is laughing on a cruise ship just off shore. :/

“It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work in here, I like your linework on these. Looking forward to seeing more stuff of yours around chow. Nice fishy face self portrait too :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ammmm...updates,please?

zephyri is offline professional guacamole maker Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was aware of your work before I started posting here when I use to lurk in the CHOW threads and seeing your pencil work here is a real treat, there's a definite Mucha sense about your control of lineweight, though your pics seems to be crisper overall, which I really admire. And gorgeous colour work too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice, love your style.
    Keep drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

(Just had to use the new smiley.)

I really like both your Squirrel Mage and the Apple Gatherer. You have a talent for just plain fun images.

I see what you mean about drawing from life vs. not, and the stiffness that can result. I'm doing a mini-comic right now and can clearly see the difference between the panels in which I had my wife take a picture of me to use as reference and the ones where I haven't.

On these two pages, can you tell which panels were from reference and which weren't?

Page 1: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1194641552

Page 2: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1194967657

I don't know if you're at the stage to be able to do it, but I'm sure there are life drawing sessions in the NoVa area. I go to one in Rockville on most Sundays from 10 - 1. (Not this Sunday, tho.) They do five 5 minute poses and then one pose for the rest of the time. Also, see this page: http://www.figuremodelsguild.org/drawing.htm

Take a look at my series of in-depth critiques, like this one of Salvador Dali's hidden portrait of Lincoln.

Scott's Sketchbook: Check out my sketchbook. Will swap C&Cs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, so beautiful sketches!

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    after looking through your sketchbook,i can safely say i'm glad i don't have to go against you in the last man standing thunderdome (yet). lovely,lovely sketches. i think my fav is still the "gangster and his moll" piece from awhile back,because of the character interaction. i'll be looking forward to the next updates

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I've been neglecting my SB. I'm so sorry, baby! I love you! And not just for your body, I swear.

Carnifex - Thank you! If we do meet in the TD, it'll be an honor to trounce you, as I've been a fan of yours for a while
    joaKimArt - Why thank you!
    ScottMcD - Hey, thanks for the tip on the drawing sessions, I would love to swing by. Are you meeting the Sunday after this one? Also, will pop by your SB for crits when I have a moment.
    spookybabydoll - Thanks!
    zephyri - well nice to finally meet a stalker I really appreciate it, Mucha is a BIG inspiration, I adore his work.
    Camara - I know I know! I'm working on it! (Thank you! )
    peter_john - Thanks! The fish face usually goes over well... as does the finger up the nose.
    Nerahla - I usually use the standard round brush, just changing the size and the flow/opacity as I go (I usually prefer my flow to be greater than my opacity) - I just started experimenting with some of the sponge brushes in my new piece (below), but I don't really mess with the custom stuff too much yet. I also use photo textures and layer those in either my setting the layer to multiply or tweaking the opacity/hue/saturation to get the look I want. I'm also trying to work on fewer layers which forces me to be more painterly, which is what I want out of my work - painterly but still incorporating my linework, which is one of my favorite things about my own work (I like the idea of juxtapositions of graphic elements and softer ones - usually why I like the textures added to my painted things). It's a struggle and a learning process, I think the more you experiment and look at other people's techniques, the more you'll learn. I've been oogling Aly Fell and Trevor's work trying to figure out how they paint the way they do for a while -- don't copy, per se, but try to assimilate the bits you like.
    GiantRobot - a healthy diet of pixels, stewed babies and practice. (Thank you)
    Diphallia - The comment at the bottom is for you.
    AmontilladoAg - you should get a mentor! hey, if you want, I'll forward my assignments on to you, always good for some practice
    Suisei - Thank you!
    daveneale - well I hope you do some back. Muchas gracias.
    lefran - Thanks alot!
    dark_maggot - I do try, thank you!
    gluck - thanks!

Have a new assignment from me mentor - 10 figure drawings, due Friday. Hoping I can crank those out over Thanksgiving (woo, holiday!) And I am frantically planning and studying for my LMS3 entry (eep!) So in the MEAN TIME, you get some CHOW! This week is one of my favorites so far - Minos, King of Crete, stepfather of the Minotaur, Judge of the Dead in the Underworld. Totally excited about the progress on this, I'm *trying* to push myself. C&C ALWAYS welcome nyah.

Sketches > Progress > More Progress (close to done, I think)

Name:  minos_wip05.jpg
Views: 3219
Size:  127.4 KB

Oh, and for those that miss the boobs, they're coming. And I posted some in the What Does Everyone Look Like Thread to tide you over.

Last edited by JessiBean; November 21st, 2007 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    coming along very well.

~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    this seems like it will turn out really nice. are you going to add mosaic texture on the bg wall? (i think it would work well)
    also,my body's kinda tingling after being called a favourite

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is another guy who loves your clean lines with that Mucha feeling of yours. Just needed to tell you that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks cool. Great feel on that armor. Great that you're stacking yourself with exercises AND doing CHOW.

The left knee looks a little funky at the top. I think it's not so much the contour but the intensity of the light makes it look pointed in an odd place. Like he's got a tumor.

Right now both thighs are on an even horizontal plane, tho the feet are dif distances from the bod. This would give you a way to raise one knee or lower the other. I'd at least take out that warp or liquify tool and see if it helps. Just to get a bit more dynamic gesture in that area that might compliment the line of the shoulders in some way.

Pushing=progress. Keep going!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oregano - Thanks, doll
    Carnifex - Awww, I like the tingling! The wall is sort of a fresco dealy, inspired by Minoan painting and artifacts: http://www.usask.ca/antiquities/Coll...ctopusjar1.JPG
    http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Arts/M...ullJumping.jpg
    Sort of like a mosaic, but painted.
    Iudex - Well thanks, fella.
    abo - THANKS for the crit, and duly noted. Gonna see what I can do about that knee, it and the feet I've been putting off because I don't know how to resolve them.... good looking out.

One more! Because I can't help myself... yeah, the feet are bugging me, gonna stare at it on here for a while and see if an epiphany comes.
    So much work to do, so little time...

Name:  minos_wip06.jpg
Views: 3162
Size:  190.3 KB

monstertree is offline They look so good that's why I keep 'em in the front Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Minos is coming along nicely, I like the richness of the red robes and the gold - they really set each other off nicely! I don't think the chair/throne reads easily, I found it hard to see what he was sitting on and the piece of long clothe gave me the impression he was perched on a pole for a second

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nice.....

Hey, thought I'd write in your thread! Liking the Minos concept! Also digging the loose painterly approach to your painting! Very nice.

Now.......for me to get to my canvas!!!

Linguini is offline (n.) pasta in long, slender, flat strips. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think...I'm going to bow at your feet. *worship*

You are definitely an inspiration of mine. I love your style, and the way you render hair and fabric.

♥♥ SKETCHBOOK ♥♥ BLOG ♥♥ PORTFOLIO ♥♥ dA GALLERY ♥♥

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.
    - Albert Camus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good stuff! I like the way you render your characters. I also think that the line one one of the most strongest features in your work. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like that last one a lot, could use a bit more contrast though. on the guy at least

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...hei dude ... thanks for the help ... on the chow ... your work whit "MINOS" is awesome ... i like a loot the chest piece ... verry cool .... keep it up ...

and keep them coming ... cheers

mouser

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm planning to be at the session a week from tomorrow. It'd be cool if you come by the drawing session. Here's the location: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...wloc=addr&om=1

Despite what the link that I posted earlier says, it's actually on the 3rd floor of the art building.

Take a look at my series of in-depth critiques, like this one of Salvador Dali's hidden portrait of Lincoln.

Scott's Sketchbook: Check out my sketchbook. Will swap C&Cs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    blah blah blah great work blah blah.
    Honestly though, I really like all of your work, you deserve the praise you're recieving on here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great updates!!!!!

pld: NEED CRITIQUE! But BEWARE your Eyes might BLEED OUT of YOUR eye SOCKETS <---cause I really suck and haven't done shit pld:
    My Sketch Book!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow - this is shaping up to be your best piece yet. And that's saying a lot! I love the palette , the pose, design and the background. I know it's not done but the lighting/anatomy of the figure's right arm looks odd to me. The light source looks like its dropping straight down on the character but the lighting on the arm doesn't read quite the same. Good luck with LMS - not that you need it!

"It's worth the grief." - Greg Manchess

--SSG #46--
    Blaz | MarkWinters | petitemistress | sfa | Shmaba

SketchbookWebsiteBlog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am surprised that this is not a 5 star thread. Really stellar work. You have good control of you're line work and very clean paintings, which is very admirable. You gets the pimp cup for the day. Keep it up and keep posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont understand how everyone is soo crazy at coloring, rendering what ever you want to call it...i freaking suck! lol i like your colors though their freaking AWESOME! cheers! keep up the beautiful work

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2