Thanks

Noob! Goblin model

Hey guys n gals.
    New here and new to modelling/sculpting, This is my Goblin model (well about a quarter of a way through!) Its made out of air dry modelling putty (eiberhansen or something along those lines) been lurking here just after i started it and realised i made a mistake of not making any wire frame to build a body around (so im doing it all bit by bit and sticking them together ) I'm a BIG fantasy fan so thought i'd have a crack at a goblin.

My desired image is a goblin with a skinny yet defined body, Hunchback yet ape-ish stature (long forearms and short legs...oh and notice the pot belly)
    Anyways i'll post progress pics as go along.

Crits welcome
    Rokr

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Rokr,

Good piece mate: especially like the quizzical , cocked-head pose of the character in the second photograph...not sure if this was what you were aiming for, but it has a good feel to it all the same. Also, nice initial work on those facial textures, as they definitely add to the sense of age that's implied by those sunken cheeks. I reckon surface textures can really make a piece come alive, so some work of taking the smoothness away from the fabrics of the creature's clothes would be great to see...smellybug's tutorials on the main 3D page have some super sections on texturing methods (which I found really inspirational).

If I had a criticism, it would be that the interiors of thsoe eye sockets seem a little too uniformly curved, and that the eyeballs appear to float on the surface, rather than sitting within the head...maybe try something narrow but blunted like a knitting needle to push the eyeballs into the sockets and build up some mass around them to suggest the fat that surrounds the eye in its socket (I know this is a WIP, so sorry if you were going to work on these things later on anyway

All the best and please post more WIP shots as this one develops; it's shaping up to look like a strong piece.

Thanks
    ok almost two years later and i still havent bothered much with the lil guy!
    I think i just added the arse and thighs on him...lol.
    Anyways here's some updated pics taken today...overall i'm not feeling his arms....i do want to go towards the sketch posture but am finding it difficult with the wire technique (as i said this was made without armature in the beggining. Just today i drilled holes in him and mounted him to the stand)

Any tips would be much obliged!!
    Once stance is complete i hope to brush down with turps to smooth some areas out a little, then i shall basecoat it grey then prob ruin it by painting it!

Quick question, I used air dry putty but am thinking of now trying sculpey with this, Will it ruin if i ovenbake sculpey along with the air dry stuff??

the sketch:
    Noob! Goblin model

pics:
    Noob! Goblin model

Noob! Goblin model

Noob! Goblin model

Noob! Goblin model

Noob! Goblin model

Noob! Goblin model

Thanks
    Well over the past few days i've bulked the lil guys legs out and today managed to work on his arms. I think its coming along ok...Just need any tips on hands as i've decided on a pointing stance now to match his quizzical look.
    Hoping to smooth him down some too.
    What do you guys reccomend for this? white spirit (turps) or Rubbing Alcohol?
    do you water them down?
    ANY responses are welcome.

Noob! Goblin model

Noob! Goblin model

Noob! Goblin model

Noob! Goblin model

Noob! Goblin model

Noob! Goblin model

Noob! Goblin model

Noob! Goblin model

Noob! Goblin model

Noob! Goblin model

Thanks
    does anybody have any input????????????????????????????????????????????? ????

Thanks
    I like it. Curious to see the fished model.

Thanks

Unhappy

i think im gonna run into probs with the feet..........

Thanks
    I like the design,and the proportions,although extreme work really well, Like a charicature

What makes you say you are gonna have problems with the feet?
    Earhole Bongsplat

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongsplat View Post
    I like the design,and the proportions,although extreme work really well, Like a charicature

What makes you say you are gonna have problems with the feet?
    because of the way i tied it down to the stand i dont know if it will come away easy.

Also i dont have much confidence in doing the feet or hands for that matter.

Any tips on making these?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokr View Post

Hey man, love the sculpt so far. I'm pretty much a noob myself, but I would say just go for it with the hands and feet. They arent as hard as you may think. I'm terrible and drawing hands and feet, but the hands and feet of my very first sculpt were some of my favourite parts. Just use yourself as reference. If the rest of the piece is any indication, you'll do just fine

Thanks
    If you are uncertain about the hands and feet I would suggest working out the bony anatomy first and build up muscles, tendons skin, nails/claws on that foundation. Drawing this will help too. Maybe even practice sculpt them on their own rather than immediately going for the finished sculpt on your final piece.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokr View Post
    because of the way i tied it down to the stand i dont know if it will come away easy.

Ahh I see In the pictures it looks like a baking tray its tied through, If it is a tray is it possible to just cut the wires from underneath so it just falls off?

Hands and feet are not my strong point either, Have a look at my good friend "Dreamsorcerers" thread about his werewolf theres some excellent pics of how he makes his hands.

heres the link:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...109738&page=20

the only technique I have is patience,and some times that ends up failing and I have to go with my second choice......A fist!
    Earhole Bongsplat

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongsplat View Post
    Ahh I see In the pictures it looks like a baking tray its tied through, If it is a tray is it possible to just cut the wires from underneath so it just falls off?

Hands and feet are not my strong point either, Have a look at my good friend "Dreamsorcerers" thread about his werewolf theres some excellent pics of how he makes his hands.

heres the link:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...109738&page=20

the only technique I have is patience,and some times that ends up failing and I have to go with my second choice......A fist!
    Its actually an old bonsai tree drip tray.
    Yeah it is tied through but i dont know how tough it will be to pull the sculpt off...i can only try i guess!

got myself some surgical spirit too to brush down. will post updated pics of his arms which i managed to fill out a little!

regards

Thanks
    ok had a bit of a nightmare with the surgical spirit.
    tried smoothing down the legs with it and it did absolutly nothing even felt dry when applying

What do i do? his body is complete and good to go for smoothing.

Just a little annoyed as i cant get that smooth finish on this guy!!

HELP

Also tried turps on his foot and still nothing smoothed!

Is it the fact it's an air dry clay, and i'm attempting brushing down a dry model?

Doggy is offline Doin´it for fun, hoping to get better...
    Thanks
    Brushing it now will do nothing... What you can do is go over it with a fine grit sandpaper.

Looks cool though):