Selling your work in a Gallery?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Selling your work in a Gallery?

Hey guys,

This question is for the experienced fine artist who has artwork in galleries.

My question is. Is it wise to submit and sell artwork in an Art Gallery??

Because i remember a while back i approached a gallery. The owner told me if i put my work in the gallery i couldn't sell to friends or through cafe's anymore, i could only sell through the gallery.

So that made me think twice. Is it better to just do lots of self promotion constantly to sell your paintings, even know you want it to be at least a part time, if not full time job?

Thanks,

~JB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These types of policies really depend on the individual gallery. Some want exclusivity, some want 50%+ of the sales it all depends on the agreed contract terms.

That being said, I've yet to have my work in a gallery, but I would not be opposed to the idea as long as the circumstances are favorable to you. read the contract, if there are issues you have concern with, rewrite it and try and come to a fair agreement. If they aren't willing to negotiate fairly, move on. There are plenty of galleries out there that you can come to good terms with. and remember gallery owners NEED artists in order to exist, not the other way around!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seedling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
    Seriously, is this book worth to buy? If you did read it tell me if it is worth to read

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bhrazz, i think considering he posted it, it must be a good book. And by personally looking at it and reading the contents and the first 4 pages it seems like a great investment of approximately 11 dollars to me.

Seedling Thanks mate, looks great!! I shall pick this one up.

~JB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhrazz View Post
    Seriously, is this book worth to buy? If you did read it tell me if it is worth to read
    Yes, I have read it, and highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinBeckett View Post
    Bhrazz, i think considering he posted it, it must be a good book.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. (By the way, I’m a girl. )

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seedling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Seedling, got a good read for the lunch time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, selling in a gallery is wise, but not necessarily the best option. If you go through other avenues like ebay, fairs, or competitions then you're going to have to be fairly agressive about self-promotion, as well as incurring all the other costs like advertising and shipping. A gallery has constant exposure of people walking in, and hopefully good advertising, location, other perks.

Galleries have exclusivity clauses that limit you to a certain region, within that city or even that state depending on the agreement details. You can still sell to anyone, but they must go through the gallery who takes their cut. Sometimes the agreement lets you exhibit in other local galleries or shows(group shows for example) if you get their approval. Many artists exhibit in multiple galleries, as well as on their own, just don't be sneaky about it. On the few occasions that I've sold my work through my site, it's not required that I notify my gallery, since I don't operate within their region. If the work being sold happened to be work exhibited in the gallery, it would obviously have to go through them. I have a good relationship with them and we trust each other well.

David B. Clemons
    Website
    Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    2nd that, it's one of the best business of art books I've seen.

Showing in a gallery has certain ethical implications, but they should not exclude you from making private sales to people who already know your work. If you make a sale from your studio to a contact who you had through your own efforts (which ought to include family and friends, anyone who wasn't first exposed to your work through your gallery) it should not concern them. What does concern them is making private sales with gallery customers and people who would not have been able to find you without the gallery's help. They make their commission for a reason, and theoretically they are actively working to bring you business. To expect you to hand over any previous buyers' commissions is, in my opinion, unreasonable because they did not earn them.

If, however, you have a piece in a show and your mom wants to buy it, there's no getting around that. Can't cut deals once it's in the gallery's hands.

Is it wise to work with a gallery? It is if you have little or no sales and need to be exposed to a larger audience. A gallery can be a great help in alot of ways. If you start feeling that your gallery isn't earning their keep though, time to move on.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, awesome book link Seedling! I know where my lunch time walk will find me (Borders).

Seems like an awesome resource. Cheers!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.