New works: constructive crits welcomed
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: New works: constructive crits welcomed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile New works: constructive crits welcomed

Hi, I'm rather new here. I'm 14 and well, I'm not the BEST artist in the world, but, for my age, I suppose my art is acceptable. My biggest issue right now is shading, I can never tell where the light is supposed to hit by just looking at where it is coming from, so if I can have a little help in that area it would be appreciated.

I would like to get into drawing humanoid beings and eventually get into realism. I dabble in that a little but so far I haven't really managed anything of any significance but I'll keep on working for that and hopefully I will be able to dproduce some nice human characters after awhile.

here is a litttle of my current art, hkope you like it, and please crit

Last edited by Elwell; October 22nd, 2007 at 09:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad. In the second, your placement of features seems inconsistent, assumiong it's the same chraracter (eye different distances aparat) and there seems to be some perspective issues. The biggeest problem IMO is the lack of any defenite lightsource.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the second picture they were meant to be different styles of the same character, so I didn't really want them all to look alike. Yes perspective IS another of my problems, but I am trying to work such things out as we speak. As I said before, lightsources always have posed a problem for me, an innate flaw it seems -__-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff for your age...if Id been this good at 14 I'd be wayyyy ahead of myself right now In terms of lighting/shading, you seem to have a pretty good grounding in understanding form, you just need to translate that into thinking a lot more 3 dimentionally about your 2D images, basically when you draw a leg, you know that its intended to be a 3D object, so picture that in your head, then decide (and draw an arrow if needs be) from your light source and decide where the light would directly hit the leg, the closests part to the light will be, urm, lightest, round the back things will be in shadow, its not much more dificult than that, just takes practice and lots of observation (Its repeated a lot around here "draw from life, study life", but theres a reason for this...its important!)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Check out Seedling's Perspective 101 thread; you'll find good info there. Nice stuff, though....
    Why not start a sketchbook here, if you haven't already?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daveneale: Lol, everyone has always said that to me but it's hard to imagine that when I'm like, say 20, I'll actually be as good as people say I'll be if you know what I mean XD. I try that but I'll put the little lightsource where it needs to go and I'll think the light should go in places it really shouldn't but I'm getting better, practice DOES make perfect...In time...lots of time

Alesoun: Okay, I'll do that. I do, I meant to put it in my signature =D

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Killasandra View Post
    Daveneale: Lol, everyone has always said that to me but it's hard to imagine that when I'm like, say 20, I'll actually be as good as people say I'll be if you know what I mean XD.
    So, twenty is six years from now. And those are big years. To put things in context, six years ago you were eight.
    You're doing well. Keep at it.

Last edited by Elwell; October 22nd, 2007 at 09:50 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah these look pretty good.

drawing from life (a lot) will help tons with getting down your lighting issues.
    and at only 14 you have plenty of time to develop your life drawing. so keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Elwell: Very true, now that I look back to last year I see that I improved a lot just over the summer, so yeah, it is easier to think of it if you put it that way

Rsoffar: Thanks, yeah, I know I do, and I plan to keep at it^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The white outline on the second image, though it separates the BG from the characters, totally does not help the composition. I would think working in color rather than white could not only give you the contrast you need, but it'll look a hell of a lot better in the process. Pure black/pure white is not anyone's friend it seems.

-dan pv.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    knowyourenemy: Yeah, I noticed that after I did the picture but I didn't feel like going back and fixing it, so yeah...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are doing very well! hopefully you start doing some studies. will keep an eye on you keep at it!

for some reason I get the "furry" feeling off of the first..

J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JL.Alfaro: Thank you^^ I've started some basic anatomy studies, bought myself a nice little anatomy book and all that mess.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by alesoun View Post
    Check out Seedling's Perspective 101 thread; you'll find good info there. Nice stuff, though....
    Why not start a sketchbook here, if you haven't already?
    Thanks Alesoun! Killasandra, the link is in my sig if you are interested.

Since you like drawing anthropromorphized animals, you should spend time drawing animals - either sketching pets from life, or go to the zoo with a sketchbook, or use photographs. Or some of each. Cheers!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ha, I missed the part where you said you were only 14. Yeah, study up and there's no question you'll go far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seedling: I checked out the perspective thread, nice informative stuff you got there!

LI try to when I can, I sketch my dog and the flora and fauna around my house, it does help a lot^^

Rhineville: Thank you, I hope I do, I want to persue an art or acting career. The only problem is my mom might not let me when we get down to it, she's scared I'm going to end up poor =(

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your mom won’t get to pick your career for you, Killasandra. Ultimately this is the rest of your adult life we’re talking about. She can only help you or not help you.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.