Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast
    Thanks
    does anyone here go to NUCA? (Norwich University College of the Arts)
    >>> GALLERY <<<
    <<<SKETCHBOOK >>>

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well. I just finished the Influences brief from UWE. At 5 in the morning. And I'll be setting off for the interview in just under 3 hours... Cutting it a bit close, perhaps? Probably...

@Sulphur: we have to wait a whole month till we find out? As if my nerves weren't scattershot enough already...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by E.Silva View Post
    Well. I just finished the Influences brief from UWE. At 5 in the morning. And I'll be setting off for the interview in just under 3 hours... Cutting it a bit close, perhaps? Probably...

@Sulphur: we have to wait a whole month till we find out? As if my nerves weren't scattershot enough already...
    Nah, I was interviewed on the 30th of March and the interviewer said everyone will get responses at the same time, which will have to be once all the interviews are done, so he said it would be around the end of April.

So you will probably only have to wait about 2 weeks or something - lucky! I'm going mad here

Thanks
    I re-applied at NUCA (Norwich University College of the Arts) for illustration to repeat year 2 (I failed by a margin) .Then I got an interviewer, and my results show unsuccessful. Is this normal?

I mean what are chances of not being accepted straight into year 2? :/
    >>> GALLERY <<<
    <<<SKETCHBOOK >>>

Thanks
    hope everyone's been doing dandy with interviews and stuff!

had my animation interview at Bristol UWE on Monday. I thought it went well at the time, I was interviewed by a student and a tutor. They liked my work and were pretty friendly (I was cheeky and asked them, if I was offered a hypothetical place why should I go to UWE instead of Manchester? the student said, "it's the best course ever!" and proceeded to list its many joys and the tutor leaned forward and said in a mocking voice, "And WEEE LOOOOVVEEE YOOOOUUUUUU!")

Now with retrospect I'm worried that I should have said one thing or another or I forgot to say this or left too early without chatting more and I'm picking over little bits and pieces. Owwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm sick and worried, mostly because I reallyreallydesperatelyfervently want to go. The course is mega!
    What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen

Thanks
    I had my UWE Illustration portfolio/interview day today - and actually got to stay for the interview! YAY! Now to wait and see... I really liked both Bristol and the Bower Ashton campus. I thought the two teachers interviewing me were very nice. Now I just hope that they liked me. I think I might have blabbered a little too much occassionally as I was quite nervous. Oh well, we'll all find out in two-three weeks, won't we?

And when I got back home I had gotten a conditional offer from Camberwell on the fdA Illustration course(!). All I need for that is to take the IELTS and get a good score. So a very good day in all.
    Sketchbook

[Blue Delirium] - personal website

Thanks
    that's brill Mirre! hope you do well

just heard back from UWE, I'll be going there in September for animation! woohoo! maybe I'll see some of you there.
    What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HAJiME View Post
    And with regard to the whole realism isn't essential, on MY course we're actually persuaded out of it as if it's a wast of time. The first time I wanted to do a project to produce concept art, one lecturer continually tried to get me to make collages... Why? I kept asking why, what is the purpose. His excuse was that it's "quicker and more interesting".
    Bingo. I had a very similar experience at the uni I graduated from too (The Arts University College at Bournemouth, Illustration), where concept art was basically seen as 'pointless'. The course went through many changes while I was there since we had different course leaders but it appears to have settled now.

One word of advice: If you're into concept design and digital painting, DON'T study Illustration in Bournemouth - check out the Animation course instead. Kinda wish I'd transferred within the first year.
    Website | Blog | Sketchbook

UK Sketch Group (FaceBook) - Check here for details on upcoming meets!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    One word of advice: If you're into concept design and digital painting, DON'T study Illustration in Bournemouth - check out the Animation course instead. Kinda wish I'd transferred within the first year.
    Yeah, quite! As I might have said in a previous post, I was totally unimpressed with the illustration department, from the staff and course structure to the work lying around; it just seemed annoying and "artsy", I can imagine why they'd take that stance toward stuff like concept art. A lot of people were saying similar things about it, so I was pretty wary before I even interviewed. I can't respect any course that doesn't consider drawing skills an important part of illustration and design, and that one clearly didn't.

Luckily I had an interview for animation scheduled for that afternoon (interviewing illustration was really more of a fallback in this case), and that went great. I loved the department and course and I got a place, so all being well i'll be going there in Sept.

Thanks
    Anscenic: Sweet, congrats! The Ani folks are ace - I used to hang out with them a lot. Enjoy the annual welcoming house party. ;P

As for the Illustration course, it was different when I started it 3 years ago, which is why I stayed there but it quickly went downhill and drastically changed after my first year when the original course leader left. It was shaky anyway but the priorities of the course now are so messed up. Glad you saw through them when you were interviewed (believe me, you're saving yourself a lot of stress!).
    Website | Blog | Sketchbook

UK Sketch Group (FaceBook) - Check here for details on upcoming meets!

Thanks
    HA! I forgot about this thread, suffice to say good luck to all the applicants at UWE. With regards to 'in house' style, I don't think its 'in house', more 'in country'. I personally went on ERASMUS in my second year and whats popular in the UK is different to other countries. We aren't pushed in any direction but if their is a group of students interested in the same diaspora then it inevitably happens. I find my own work quite different from whats happening here in the UK with regards to popular choice. you can find it here

http://kylesmart.co.uk/

PS I was one of the people doing the interviews

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    HA! I forgot about this thread, suffice to say good luck to all the applicants at UWE. With regards to 'in house' style, I don't think its 'in house', more 'in country'. I personally went on ERASMUS in my second year and whats popular in the UK is different to other countries. We aren't pushed in any direction but if their is a group of students interested in the same diaspora then it inevitably happens. I find my own work quite different from whats happening here in the UK with regards to popular choice. you can find it here

http://kylesmart.co.uk/

PS I was one of the people doing the interviews
    im waiting now far an answer from UWE. Its my number 1 choice..i got unsuccesfull with kingston and bournemouth...i hope i get in to UWE so does people there accept students with wide round of ambitions and styles and stuff like that???? or they have sort of criterium system there?
    MY SKETCHBOOK
    HTML Code:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184529

Thanks
    A wide range is a good starting point to go on and develop your own preferences and way of doing something. I don't see that being an issue at this stage. The course takes you on a massive tangent doing a massive range of things. I've only really started showing some consistency with visual language myself in the second semester of the third year. Now I'm just cherry picking the best of everything I like and making it my own.

Thanks
    Maybe you know when can we expect to hear the answers from UWE?

Thanks
    can anyone recommend me any good places apart from UWE and Plymouth?
    I've made 4 choices already, I need a 5th final choice.

yeah I know it's pretty late, it looks like I would probably be applying through UCAS extra, mainly the because the uni I wanted to back into was unsuccessful....
    >>> GALLERY <<<
    <<<SKETCHBOOK >>>

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast