Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Illustration courses

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EddTQ View Post
    Scriar : Plymouth is AWESOME! hahah - when was your interview? did ashley interview you?
    Being a mature student wont be frowned upon at all! (To be honest in illustration first year 21 is about the average age.. )
    Yeah I think it was Ashley that interviewed me, the interview was on the 29th of April. The interview went well, he said he really liked my Photoshop work, as well as the Loomis and Bridgeman studies I showed him as well.

He wanted to see more traditional work, specifically life drawing and painting that I mentioned I had done for a short time in the interview I was unable to bring them down though due the size.

And some written work which admittedly it had not even occurred to me to bring, I was on an IT course previously we did no written work. So I sent him a 3000 word essay I did for Falmouth to try and make up for it. Seems to have worked

Its nice to hear that the average age is 21, last courses I have been on were mostly 16-17 year olds with the occasional adult. I was a bit worried when I was the only one without a parent on the day. lol

Smarty: Sorry I must of come across wrong in my response, I get that is what you meant. I was trying to say in my response that I feel that if the illustration course also had a strong traditional background that it could only help to produce better work.

I agree completely that you don’t need a teacher to teach you traditional work, or any art at all for that matter, university I believe is 90% all on your shoulders to make it work for you.

I think part of the problem I had with trying to find courses is that I have not come from an art background so only had this site to go by for most of my information about art courses.

I was trying to find a course like the ones they seem to have in America that have a strong focus on traditional skills and then put that in the context of illustration, game design, entertainment design etc which I had thought were the meant to be the recommended choice of art students. I guess I found out thats not really how it works here.

-----

Anyway, cant wait to go to university now, although the amount of hoops Im having to jump through to get funding is a pain. Seems getting a place in university is only half the struggle
    Last edited by Scriar; May 13th, 2009 at 10:16 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Recently got accepted into UWE to do Animation! very close 2-month long shave.

If anyone else is doing the Animation course PM me. It'd be cool to already know at least one person before term starts

Thanks
    Hey got conditional from UWE for Illustration .

Thanks
    well done rob! all wokred out in the end then

Well done Yther too, will have to say hello next year.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob!T View Post
    Recently got accepted into UWE to do Animation! very close 2-month long shave.

If anyone else is doing the Animation course PM me. It'd be cool to already know at least one person before term starts
    Much respect to you for not letting your previous bad experience there get you down. All the best for when you start.

Thanks

Thumbs up well well well....

Yo guys. LONG time no post, cool to see everyone is doing well with applications and current courses!

didn't get into UWE or Plymouth which was a shame as they were some of my top choices. however got conditionals from Swansea met and De Monfort (game art design).

Had my Portsmouth interview yesterday and he told me in the interview that they would deffo be offering me a place on the illustration course. So Portsmouth it is for me!! just gotta wait for the official offer and try and sort out some accommodation.

Good to be back, even if it's momentarily.

Thanks
    Bournemouth for me next year

Thanks
    which Bournemouth are you going to, the arts institute one or Bournemouth university one. im going to the arts institute one to do animation.
    'Education is our passport to the future,
    for the future belongs to the people who prepare for it today.'
    Malcom X

God is love.

Sketchbook

BLOG

Looking for work

Thanks
    I guess it's the arts institute, even though they're becoming a University College next month. Doing illustration

Thanks
    Hi everyone -- my name is Michael, I'm 17, just finishing my first year of ND visual communication in Eastbourne, and since they've abolished route B, I'm looking to apply to a BA illustration by the end of this year. I have lurked this site for a while without making any major posts. I'd like to soon get productive and scan some work to show some work on CA.

So far I've been to the Kingston open day, which I liked, but seems not entirely up to my hopes. I have heard good things about Portsmouth, UCA Maidstone (a few others) and obviously since reading this thread lots of good things about UWE, which (predictably) has become my favourite. I don't have any good examples of work online, though a few bits and pieces on an old DeviantArt (mostly things from my induction to the ND) digital-mage.deviantart.com.

So yer... Not that anyone REALLY cares but I just thought I'd like to join the discussion.

Thanks
    Thought I would do a small update, I have just been informed my place at Plymouth is now unconditional.

I found out a couple of days ago that my grades were no where near what I thought they were so I was expecting to be turned down.

p.s It was Tom not Ashley that interviewed me, just remembered ;p

Good Luck to everyone, I hope you all find a university/course you like
    Last edited by Scriar; June 27th, 2009 at 04:52 AM.

Thanks

Red face

hi to you all!
    Where are a lot of questions i wanted to ask you all, but first probably i talk about my situation. Im living in Lithuania and studying Multimedia Art( BA 4 years) in Siauliai University ( i know what does not make for you big scene but still i need introduce myself, also my name Arunas) okey getting to business, as i said im Multimedia Art student so basically i working with video,effects,photography design and illustration too so basically all stuff i touched little, and now i know whta i want to do for my life draw and im really in digital painting, traditional drawing,digital art,design and illustration think is the best thing where i feel myself comfortable( so i know because i tried in my studies everything from editing movies to creating projects) So next year its gonna be last year in university and after what one thing i really know i will go abroad, and i decided to go to uk,because i love people,i love cities a love beer and football to i been erasmus too, i was in summer in Ireland as street performer,drawend people in the streets and get some money) so i hope have so experience in being abroad and my english isnt so bad and i be able to pass english exams to study abroad.
    So what is my motives to study in uk, basically i want knowledge, alot of what, and high quality of learnin, smart lecturers other things isnt so important,because i know what feels to be student and how system works, so really looking for seriuos unversities with experienced lecturers who can beet shite out of me,as person im really determinated and hard working,so not sleepin and drwaing or doing works to university is the way i living.
    So folks what i really want from you is to hear solutions,guides to universities,how and what they teach, what to expect me from apply as international student, how system works to EU students, i hope i will have more easier because i allready ended studies and i know something about art.
    ( i have possibilty to go straight to Norwitch to do MA but i dont wanna go where because its realited with my unversity and i will meet same people as in Lithuania). So i hope i get help from you i know i want study illustration, i hope in kind big city with high level of studies, i wish was last and worst student of all when i have to push myself hard as i can. Probably i said what i want and now i leave with my works just to have idea what i do and what im looking to learn,maybe you have suggsetions to me from my working style witch universities like what style and i can improve where so here is my - deviantart works - http://yellowcardas.deviantart.com/gallery/ sketches and doodles - http://yellowcardas.deviantart.com/g..._browse/scraps
    and maybe some movie stuff as i hope one option to combine illustration with animation - http://www.youtube.com/user/Yellowcardas and work done to Norwitch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QYeLkIPoAE

So guys i really appreciate your help in all questions and solutions have nice summer days and be ready for university! good luck lads sry for my english

Thanks
    wow heh, just wanted to say, had a look at your art and all i have to say is, amazing.

ive been looking for a course that is exactly as you described 'a little bit of everything'. so trying to find a multimedia art course in the uk.

ill message you back when i find a few colleges you might be interested in.

Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast