UK Illustration courses - Page 18

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    does anyone here go to NUCA? (Norwich University College of the Arts)

>>> GALLERY <<<
    <<<SKETCHBOOK >>>

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well. I just finished the Influences brief from UWE. At 5 in the morning. And I'll be setting off for the interview in just under 3 hours... Cutting it a bit close, perhaps? Probably...

@Sulphur: we have to wait a whole month till we find out? As if my nerves weren't scattershot enough already...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by E.Silva View Post
    Well. I just finished the Influences brief from UWE. At 5 in the morning. And I'll be setting off for the interview in just under 3 hours... Cutting it a bit close, perhaps? Probably...

@Sulphur: we have to wait a whole month till we find out? As if my nerves weren't scattershot enough already...
    Nah, I was interviewed on the 30th of March and the interviewer said everyone will get responses at the same time, which will have to be once all the interviews are done, so he said it would be around the end of April.

So you will probably only have to wait about 2 weeks or something - lucky! I'm going mad here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I re-applied at NUCA (Norwich University College of the Arts) for illustration to repeat year 2 (I failed by a margin) .Then I got an interviewer, and my results show unsuccessful. Is this normal?

I mean what are chances of not being accepted straight into year 2? :/

>>> GALLERY <<<
    <<<SKETCHBOOK >>>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hope everyone's been doing dandy with interviews and stuff!

had my animation interview at Bristol UWE on Monday. I thought it went well at the time, I was interviewed by a student and a tutor. They liked my work and were pretty friendly (I was cheeky and asked them, if I was offered a hypothetical place why should I go to UWE instead of Manchester? the student said, "it's the best course ever!" and proceeded to list its many joys and the tutor leaned forward and said in a mocking voice, "And WEEE LOOOOVVEEE YOOOOUUUUUU!")

Now with retrospect I'm worried that I should have said one thing or another or I forgot to say this or left too early without chatting more and I'm picking over little bits and pieces. Owwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm sick and worried, mostly because I reallyreallydesperatelyfervently want to go. The course is mega!

What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had my UWE Illustration portfolio/interview day today - and actually got to stay for the interview! YAY! Now to wait and see... I really liked both Bristol and the Bower Ashton campus. I thought the two teachers interviewing me were very nice. Now I just hope that they liked me. I think I might have blabbered a little too much occassionally as I was quite nervous. Oh well, we'll all find out in two-three weeks, won't we?

And when I got back home I had gotten a conditional offer from Camberwell on the fdA Illustration course(!). All I need for that is to take the IELTS and get a good score. So a very good day in all.

Sketchbook

[Blue Delirium] - personal website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that's brill Mirre! hope you do well

just heard back from UWE, I'll be going there in September for animation! woohoo! maybe I'll see some of you there.

What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HAJiME View Post
    And with regard to the whole realism isn't essential, on MY course we're actually persuaded out of it as if it's a wast of time. The first time I wanted to do a project to produce concept art, one lecturer continually tried to get me to make collages... Why? I kept asking why, what is the purpose. His excuse was that it's "quicker and more interesting".
    Bingo. I had a very similar experience at the uni I graduated from too (The Arts University College at Bournemouth, Illustration), where concept art was basically seen as 'pointless'. The course went through many changes while I was there since we had different course leaders but it appears to have settled now.

One word of advice: If you're into concept design and digital painting, DON'T study Illustration in Bournemouth - check out the Animation course instead. Kinda wish I'd transferred within the first year.

Website | Blog | Sketchbook

UK Sketch Group (FaceBook) - Check here for details on upcoming meets!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    One word of advice: If you're into concept design and digital painting, DON'T study Illustration in Bournemouth - check out the Animation course instead. Kinda wish I'd transferred within the first year.
    Yeah, quite! As I might have said in a previous post, I was totally unimpressed with the illustration department, from the staff and course structure to the work lying around; it just seemed annoying and "artsy", I can imagine why they'd take that stance toward stuff like concept art. A lot of people were saying similar things about it, so I was pretty wary before I even interviewed. I can't respect any course that doesn't consider drawing skills an important part of illustration and design, and that one clearly didn't.

Luckily I had an interview for animation scheduled for that afternoon (interviewing illustration was really more of a fallback in this case), and that went great. I loved the department and course and I got a place, so all being well i'll be going there in Sept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anscenic: Sweet, congrats! The Ani folks are ace - I used to hang out with them a lot. Enjoy the annual welcoming house party. ;P

As for the Illustration course, it was different when I started it 3 years ago, which is why I stayed there but it quickly went downhill and drastically changed after my first year when the original course leader left. It was shaky anyway but the priorities of the course now are so messed up. Glad you saw through them when you were interviewed (believe me, you're saving yourself a lot of stress!).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HA! I forgot about this thread, suffice to say good luck to all the applicants at UWE. With regards to 'in house' style, I don't think its 'in house', more 'in country'. I personally went on ERASMUS in my second year and whats popular in the UK is different to other countries. We aren't pushed in any direction but if their is a group of students interested in the same diaspora then it inevitably happens. I find my own work quite different from whats happening here in the UK with regards to popular choice. you can find it here

http://kylesmart.co.uk/

PS I was one of the people doing the interviews

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    HA! I forgot about this thread, suffice to say good luck to all the applicants at UWE. With regards to 'in house' style, I don't think its 'in house', more 'in country'. I personally went on ERASMUS in my second year and whats popular in the UK is different to other countries. We aren't pushed in any direction but if their is a group of students interested in the same diaspora then it inevitably happens. I find my own work quite different from whats happening here in the UK with regards to popular choice. you can find it here

http://kylesmart.co.uk/

PS I was one of the people doing the interviews
    im waiting now far an answer from UWE. Its my number 1 choice..i got unsuccesfull with kingston and bournemouth...i hope i get in to UWE so does people there accept students with wide round of ambitions and styles and stuff like that???? or they have sort of criterium system there?

MY SKETCHBOOK
    HTML Code:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184529

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A wide range is a good starting point to go on and develop your own preferences and way of doing something. I don't see that being an issue at this stage. The course takes you on a massive tangent doing a massive range of things. I've only really started showing some consistency with visual language myself in the second semester of the third year. Now I'm just cherry picking the best of everything I like and making it my own.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you know when can we expect to hear the answers from UWE?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can anyone recommend me any good places apart from UWE and Plymouth?
    I've made 4 choices already, I need a 5th final choice.

yeah I know it's pretty late, it looks like I would probably be applying through UCAS extra, mainly the because the uni I wanted to back into was unsuccessful....

>>> GALLERY <<<
    <<<SKETCHBOOK >>>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mine was too. Heck, I didn't even get to the interview stage. Which was a bit of a kick in the teeth.

I did get a place at Bournemouth tho, and it seems like I'll be going there. Although Quicksilver's comments don't fill me with confidence in that regard....

But I've kind of taken the view that ultimately, whether or not I 'make it' will be down to me, personally, and in the end the location isn't the be all and end all. In the end, it'll be down to how I apply myself.

Well, that's what I'm telling myself, anyway. Obviously, it's a very hard choice to make. And it's a horrendous gamble.

I assume you're going to reapply next year Sulphur?

Quicksilver: Some more information about your time at bournemouth would be really valuable. Just more depth on what you've already said would be great. Is there still space within the course to forge your own path, if you're keen enough? Or are the tutors hellbent on making you follow their own path... What would be you consider, for someone in my situation? Would you sincerely recommend waiting another year (and thus facing far greater tuition fees) to reapply to UWE? Any info or opinion you could give would be invaluable. Same goes for anyone else with relevant experience/interests/opinion/whatever.

Last edited by Ed Savage; May 5th, 2011 at 06:44 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I-I just got an Unconditional offer from UWE!!! HOLY. CRAP. I did not expect that. @ _ @

Now I have to pick between Camberwell fdA Illustration and UWE Bristol BA (Hons) Illustration. Halp?
    One one hand I like the idea of Camberwell's fdA course because it's two years with the availability for a 3rd year and a BA degree should you want it. And it's focused on working in the field of Illustration - you get assignments and work with them as if they were real paid jobs. So for experience about how to work as an illustrator it seems quite ideal. The class is quite small as well, 25 students. But it's very expensive to live in London.
    On the other hand I really liked Bristol, and it's cheaper to live there than London. I also really liked what I saw of their BA Illustration course's teachers and equipment (loved the printing facilities). I'd get a BA degree from my three years there and it seems like many of the graduated students go on to neat jobs. Many people in this thread seem to have applied for this course as well. I don't know too much about the different universities' reputations though since I'm not from the UK. So, what made you guys apply for this course?
    Fee-wise I'm thinking I'd probably do the bridge year at Camberwell anyways to get the BA degree. So the tuition fees would be about the same no matter which course I choose in the end.
    Well, anyone have any advice for me? I'm quite torn.

gutss: Thank you! Maybe it was your wellwishings that helped? : D I guess you might see me there in September depending on what I decide to do.

Sulphur: I honestly don't know which my first choice is. As I wanted to get into these two courses just about as much. They both have their advantages and disadvantages to me... but it seems like UWE is the more popular course among applicants?
    Sorry to hear you didn't get in though.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey E. Silva, obviously I can't speak from experience like Quicksilver, but first of all (to get the bad news out of the way) I have to say i've heard very similar things about AUCB's illustration course from several people, and I dunno about you but it showed when I interviewed there! If you look back through the thread you can also see some info on that course from Zilrion (who transferred to Animation Production after a year and evidently made a great choice); from what I can tell, and what i've heard (from Quicksilver and others), their course is quite "artsy", and they don't really like or value realistic/conceptual work. My (very) personal opinion is that AUCB's illustration doesn't look or sound to be very fitting at all for someone wanting to do conceptual work, and going on it might just be going to uni for the sake of going to uni, which for £x-thousand is possibly not the best idea.

HOWEVER, though that may suck, you really hit it on the head with "the location isn't the be all and end all". Education is just a resource, and especially when it comes to uni, you'll get out what you put in; there are guys on really crappy courses that come out great artists because they know what they want and they have the will to succeed. I have no doubt that if you do illust at AUCB, regardless of their biases, you'll be able to steer it to something that interests you, and get something out of it. Even if you don't, and the course really just slows you down, there's probably a good chance you'd be able to transfer to Animation or something in the second year (I dunno how easy that is, you should ask Zilrion if you're interested), and AUCB's animation course has a really good reputation (I should be joining Zilrion and Gualtieri there after summer, really looking forward to it).

Something worth bearing in mind is that if you got in, it obviously means they're probably going to be receptive to whatever it is that you're already doing (I have a very conceptual portfolio and -didn't- get a place on illustration; take a look at my blog below for some examples of work in that very portfolio... luckily I was only interviewing illustration as a backup).

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't go, i'm really just looking at both sides and seconding your evaluation that in the worst case scenario, the uni you go to isn't necessarily going to hamstring you. Conversely, if you end up pretty sure it'll be no good for you, it is worth asking if you'd be going just for the sake of going.

Dunno how much use i'll be in specifics, but if there's anything I can help with let me know!

Hippies will walk through fire to get to my blog.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a super quick addition to the above - you don't have to be going into your second year to transfer over to animation. Theoretically, you could request to do so in the first couple of weeks. I know people in the past have done so, and a friend of mine swapped over in the first term. It means a bit of a wait, and another interview, but if you started illustration and decided it really wasn't for you, then the hassle is worth it, I'm sure. We tend to lose/gain a couple of people as a general rule.

I'm also friends with a few illustration students that love the course, but are very much into children's book illustrations and editorial illustration... so yeah, if you're interested in doing entertainment art, it might not be the smoothest ride, and swapping is possibly your best bet. I personally can't attest to how artsy or not the course actually is, so I'm not the best person to talk to, but as someone who is more interested in concept art than in animating (at this stage), thanks to the transferable skills, I can say I still feel like I've made the right decision in picking AP. Sorry to hear you didn't get onto the course you wanted though!

And if you're very keen to go to university, I'm really not sure I would risk waiting another year when you bring fees into consideration. Not unless you can afford it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh i got an unconditional from UWE ))) so what do i do next???? ;D

MY SKETCHBOOK
    HTML Code:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184529

23. The Following User Says Thank You to EpicKey For This Useful Post:

P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by E.Silva View Post
    Quicksilver: Some more information about your time at bournemouth would be really valuable. Just more depth on what you've already said would be great. Is there still space within the course to forge your own path, if you're keen enough? Or are the tutors hellbent on making you follow their own path... What would be you consider, for someone in my situation? Would you sincerely recommend waiting another year (and thus facing far greater tuition fees) to reapply to UWE? Any info or opinion you could give would be invaluable. Same goes for anyone else with relevant experience/interests/opinion/whatever.
    Like Gualtieri said, you can transfer to another course at the beginning if you wish. Personally, I highly suggest that since the Illo course is now run by a Fine Artist who thinks very little of concept art. I had it tough there and wouldn't wish it upon anyone if they had the same goals as me. As far as I'm concerned, that course is a lost cause. The only real benefit I got from it was learning loads of software but I think the technician who used to teach those classes has been moved or something.

Sorry if I've worried you but believe me, you're better off joining a course that welcomes and accepts you than wasting your time fighting your way through one. The lecturers are nice but they have their strong opinions (which they're entitled to, obviously, though they can get in the way) and have a habit of going back on their word.

Best of luck with whichever path you choose. If you're serious about a transfer then if I were you, I'd contact the Animation course and make them aware of your decision and maybe arrange an informal visit to their studio. If you can secure a place there, THEN inform the Illo course. Lisa might try to convince you to stay otherwise but stick to your guns if you're sure of what you want.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm back home in Sweden for the summer and have managed to make up my mind! I guess I'll see EpicKey, Tadas and gutss in September? : D
    If any of you guys want to get together and talk before then feel free to PM or mail me (mirrew[at]gmail[dot]com).

I kind of feel sorry for my family because I constantly move out of the country... but I am sooo looking forward to this course and living in Bristol!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey! I'm a Canadian student looking to widen my experience. I am currently enrolled in Illustration at Sheridan Institute. I really do want to give study abroad experience a shot.
    I'm very interested in these programs: LCC (London College of Communications) BA Graphic Communications - Illustration pathway or UCA(University for Creative Arts) Maidstone - BA Illustration.

My deliema isn't in choice but in timing. I would go to any of these schools if they approve of me and my school recognizes their programs. I've read on the LCC website that study abroad options are only available during the 1st and 2nd year of their program. Durations are available from one semester to a whole year. The credits earned from the UK courses go back to my home institution and will appear on my transcript as being complete. Sounds super alright?

I'm entering my first year of illustration here and regretting not applying for a bachelors in England at the start.
    I want to know is it practical at all to take a semester abroad in year 2 OR should I complete year 2 of my program (in canada) and then transfer to a university in England to complete the degree instead?

You might be wondering why I go through all this trouble?
    It's simple and complicated at the same time. To put it simply, I'm trying to build international credentials so I can gain a competitive edge to find work in England or the EU. I am not attached to my Canadian identity and I'm not making plans on staying there.
    Also it has been my dream to attend LCC or get the chance to study, work and explore England in general.

I realize I need to do a bunch of research on this so I figured any of you students enrolled in the schools I mentioned can help me if they like... about any school policies that may or may not ruin my hinder awesome idea. The schooling system is totally different in Britain so please correct me if I am wrong in my logic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Cloverbell, i'm afraid I don't know much about those courses specifically or indeed the complications of transferring universities etc., but if you do a temporary exchange, is the funding already taken care of at your end? I mean, if you did a year here then went back to Sheridan, would you need to pay for the year by the UK fees or is it already included in your fees at Sheridan?

If not, as you may or may not know, university fees in the UK are skyrocketing next year, and will equate to around $14000 (canadian) per year.

I realise you may already know, but you didn't mention funding in your post so I figured i'd better check; I have no idea how well this issue has been covered outside the UK!

If you know already and are still considering transfer then I respect your determination... you may have picked a tricky time to come study in the UK, haha.

Hippies will walk through fire to get to my blog.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Swansea Metropolitan University

I've just finished my BA(hons) in general illustration at Swansea Metropolitan University and thought I would write a bit of a review for any students looking for unis. I must say I personally could not recommend Swansea enough, I've learnt a huge amount in the past three years not only art related but also general life and business skills. But of course it depends on what exactly you want from a uni so i'll try and give an impartial breakdown of what I went through over the past three years

General If your looking to go into children's book illustration, this course is ideal, concept art and fine art is also well represented. For editorial work the skill development is there but the projects tend to be strung out so you can't get a real sense of the pressure of a real editorial brief (the average project is 1-3 months as apposed to the 3-5 days for a real brief. You get a good base in art history and life drawing and regular contact with tutors (something you should always ask about with uni's)

First Year General build up of art skills, One day a week of basic art history, One day of life drawing (additional classes available), One morning doing electives (2 electives in a year) in various other art related areas (photography, printmaking etc, this was cut down a lot in my last year due to government cuts so I can't say what happens now) And two days in studios working on various projects. There is a large emphasis on trying different artistic styles and techniques.

Second Year Very similar to the first, the art history is focused more on illustration. Your final project of the year is completely self written. Other project work looks at the different areas of illustration as opposed to simply trying out different art styles as you did in the first year. There is also a module doing business studies with some incredible teachers who really know their stuff

Third Year 8000 word dissertation and final major project/s (two or three is recommended), one of which must be a live project or have external feedback/liaison. Students also have to arrange their graduate exhibition (more work then some may realize) No mandatory art history or life drawing but other life drawing lessons available. There is one elective module and one module doing self promotion (corporate identity and how to run your own business- self assessment tax etc)

Work from the graduate show from my year

List of links to the websites of my fellow students

If anyone has any questions on swansea I'll be happy to answer them, just drop me a PM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cloverbell - you dont want to be in Maidstone for three years. its fucking shit. one of the most depressing town in the south of england

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Raffix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya, the UWE illustration degree shows are coming up really soon

Bristol Gallery show - 10th-16th June
    Bower Ashton Campus, Bristol

London Gallery Show - 12th-17th July
    Gallery on Redchurch Street, Shoreditch, London

We also have a stall at the D&AD new blood exhibition at the Truman Brewery if you happen to be there.

Feel free to stop by if you're in the areas!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to lefran For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone applying through UCAS Clearing?

>>> GALLERY <<<
    <<<SKETCHBOOK >>>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm planning to go to an intensive foundation course at Middlesex uni in January. I plan to go into illustration... I've looked through the thread a bit; can anyone tell me what middlesex is like?

I know that they're moving art & design to Hendon campus as opposed to Cat Hill. I hope it'll be awesome...

my sketchbook
    I upload to Flickr more than I do to my sketchbook.
    You can go there by clicking here.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2