UK Illustration courses - Page 15

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got a conditional for DMM so im pretty sure I will get in
    Well done guys!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arrrr well done every one! and thanks for the comfort blanket and support through the agonising process of finding and applying!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm in. sudden relief washes over me. the conditional is 240 points but i have various other qualifications to make up the weight if i don't get MMM on the nat dip.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woooo I might be living on a canal boat in bristol!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    If anyone would mind answering a question for me, I'd be very grateful!
    Well I am looking at Uni's which do art courses, as I want to know which Uni's I want to apply to early, as I like to plan ahead. I was wondering if anyone studys art at Loughborough? If so, would you be able to tell me what the art courses there are like? I'm thinking of making this one of my options, as from what I've read on their website it sounds quite good, although I'll be going to open days etc to make sure.
    Thanks!
    A bit late for me to reply to this now that everyone's applied and had interviews (but might as well give a shout out for Loughborough), but it's definitely a good course. The course is pretty well structured, where we can easily contact our tutors, we have weekly group crits for project work, along with basics on life-drawing by experienced artists (check Paul Wright), and computing, etc. I'm coming to the end of my first year, and it's gone pretty well to be fair, a lot of the concentration this year has been for us to widen our horizons with how we can approach illustration and develop working methods to deal with large amounts of work. (I'm currently juggling 6 projects) The art department has a great deal of resources (with a brilliant animation studio), along with a decent reputation that goes with it. (Most University league tables I've seen place L'boro in the top 5 for Art & Design and our course tutor is president of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters)

My sketchbook, if you really want to see it...

"Picasso is a painter, so am I;... Picasso is Spanish, so am I; Picasso is a communist, neither am I." - Salvador Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, Kagemusha22 for answering that question, a lot of useful information I'm considering going to Loughborough Uni next year myself, to study Illustration I think... the only problem is that apparently I need to have done a foundation degree first, I'm not sure if its a necessity or not though!

This is a long shot... but does anyone here study art at Falmouth University? It interests me a lot, but seeming as it's in Cornwall I'd never be able to get down there for an open day as it's about 6 hours away from me. I'd be taking a risk if I chose to go there without knowing anything about it, apart from what they have told me, so any extra information would be amazing
    Edit: I almost forgot, if anyone is studying at Aberystwyth, what are the art courses like there, too?
    Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A foundation year isn't always necessary (there's a couple of people in my year at UWE who didn't do one) but I'd recommend it, it gives you an extra year to to experiment and work on your art and portfolio, and you don't have to pay if you start before you turn 19, or something like that.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shantih For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree, my foundation was free, it was awful and only 10 of us were on it, but i spent the year working on my portfolio to how i saw fit, and got a lot of work together for it, and i improved because that was all i was doing for year. So if you're stepping up from A level, im not sure how old you are) its a good idea as you can figure out what sort of illustration you enjoy ( you said you think, so you might change your mind after foundation) , and also for portfolio benefit, i'm pretty sure i wouldnt have had enough for a good enough portfolio before foundation

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lefran For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lefran and Shantih, thank you for the replies
    I did want to do a foundation, but I'm not sure where i'd do it. There is a college nearby which offers it, but I'd have to check if it's free or not as cost is the issue for me really. I'll look into it more though, as I would like more time to get together a decent portfolio, definitely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey spirit, im off to falmouth for a foundation year then probably to the fine arts course there, or might edinburgh/glasgow if you have any questions about the application process I would be more than happy to tell you.
    Drop me a message if you want
    Chris

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey ive got a question for the guys from UWE, whats the workload like? i only ask because my money situation is pretty dire and i want to come down a little early to try find a job, but if the workload is super intense (which i want i do want to be clear ) then i think i need to wait till im sure about what hours i could squeeze in, ahh lifes a bitch

dan's sketchbook

The ssg with no name.. for now
    NRX - Frasermct - Walid D - The wannabe Dr, Mr Phil - Dilated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I work two days a week and it is doable, but the tutors are pretty unhelpful about it, they seem to think only people who can afford not to work should be there. What I did was just work weekends until I knew what weekday I could do when I got the timetable. You pretty much always get one weekday without something scheduled, but it changes term to term.

I'd advise starting the job search ASAP, there's very few part time places available and once all the other students arrive it'll be even worse.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Shantih For This Useful Post:

Nrx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I work weekends in Bristol and I haven't had any problems, especially for first year. The tutors like to think you are putting your time into nurturing your skills or something but if I didn't work then I could pay for food and luxuries, and it's not like you can jump onto the street waving bits of art in people's faces. There was one girl in my year who was working part-time in 'London' so John was asking Cafes in Bristol so she wouldn't have to travel all that way. I suppose you could feed off any loans and bursaries but it won't leave you enough to enjoy time off in the summer, things other than drawing or sticking bits of card.

So yeah you can get away with it. You might want to subscribe to the jobshop on the UWE site for odd things that come up, I know Hotel Chocolat are looking for people or so my flatmate tells me...

Good luck anyways!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i am looking to do an illustration course, i looked at UWE and everyone said it wd be amazing but i dunno i went to the open day and... it didnt seem to stand out to me... i looked at Northampton too and their stuff amazed me... but i dunno, i am struggling to make any decisions and i kinda need to for november *worried face* i was wndering whether people could telll me what they liked about UWE.... seeing as they wont take anyone who dont put them as first choice... just sc ared i am going to make the wrong decision

My sketchbook challenge
    Keep up to date with my daily uploads
    My Deviantart
    all of my other art uploads! featuring furry stuff and traditional
    My IFX entry
    My WIP for Imagine FX's febuary forum contest

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think a lot of places do the whole 'won't accept 2nd choice' applicants, so thats not really uncommon. Uwe has really good facilities for print making if you're into that and you can have access to photography and animation etc, or any other department really like metal work as i've gone in there for a project once. The tutors are pretty good and theres a lot of free reign for what you want to do, they don't sort of steer you into a house style like a lot of illustration courses seem guilty of so i'm told, also the studio is quite small but its a nice creative sort of environment and is right in the city centre. I think one of the most important things apart from the uni, is to consider the area itself, as thats where you're going to be living for 3 years. Bristol is great, good selection of culture with art shows, music venues, theater, film in places like the watershed which shows world cinema. Loads of clubs, bars, pubs, good shops, good museum, whatever you're interested in really. Also consider, if your looking at peoples work alone might not necessarily be the best indication as perhaps not all the best work would be out on display etc, and perhaps might just have a particularly good batch of students etc, which might not have much to do with the university really. I'm not sure what they do at the open days now really for UWE. Maybe take a scoot around on some of the blogs and see what kind of work people are doing there? If its any help heres our main blog http://uweillustration.blogspot.com/ which has some past student links in the side blog ( the rest isnt really relevant to look at)
    And my year groups blog, which will be 3rd years this year, http://uweillustration2008.blogspot.com/ and theres a selection of my year group's blogs in the side bar there too, i'm sure other places like Northampton will have blogs and things available for you to have a look through.
    UWE does have a pretty good record at winning illustration competitions though

21. The Following User Says Thank You to lefran For This Useful Post:

P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah im glad this thread is still alive. im only 17 and im looking round Foundation courses atm so i guess im a year behind everyone else here but is there anyone else at this stage?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffix View Post
    ah im glad this thread is still alive. im only 17 and im looking round Foundation courses atm so i guess im a year behind everyone else here but is there anyone else at this stage?
    Me Trying to skip the foundation course though.

If I get turned down at UWE, do they have a foundation course they could put me in? Or is there at least a decent foundation course in Bristol in general?

I really don't want to be stuck in Newcastle for an extra year

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ayup chucks! I've just started my foundation art course at NCN in Nottingham (which seems pretty good so far if anyone's thinking about it! There's about 200 of us and the tutors are good).

Not too sure what I want to do right now. I used to be pretty certain for a long time but I've had a whirlwind summer and it's kind of confused me a bit. But that's part of what foundation's for I suppose!

I was thinking something to do with illustration or animation and was thinking UWE (wahey!), Falmouth or Manchester Met. Who knows!

Good luck to all of you chucks

What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, time to return to CA with some minor necro-threading as application time rolls around once more...

First of all, my thanks to everyone in this thread just for sharing their experiences and advice in such detail; i've been reading through and it's been a big help in giving me some ideas of where i'm interested in looking.

As it stands I plan to go and check out UWE (as everyone is raving about it and it seems nice), AUC Bournemouth (as I understand that also has good rep and facilities for illustration), and Edinburgh College of Art (which I was quite interested in even before I stumbled across this wonderful thread). It's true that I need two or so more ideas, but right now i'm just trying to prioritise these three, so I figured i'd jump in here and hope all involved were still loitering...

First of all, something that's been bothering me a little, so many people here seem to be singing the praises of UWE, yet it only seems to stand at 30-50th place on most league tables; naturally I take that with a pinch of salt, but why exactly is it?

Secondly, to those who were applying to Bournemouth, how are your experiences with it by now? It does seem nice, but i've heard a few sources saying it's quite cramped, and some saying there's little to do?

Also, is there anyone who could tell me anything about Edinburgh? I have little to no idea about the place let alone the illustration course.

I am drawn to UWE and AUCB as perhaps my first two choices, but i'm somewhat concerned it's because so many people in this thread have been singing their praises; I will be visiting the open days, but I figured in the mean time it would do to get some more (and perhaps more up-to-date) information.

Any help/advice is really appreciated; thanks a lot, and good luck to anyone getting ready to apply.

Sweet is sleep to me and even more to be of stone,
    While the wrong and shame endure.
    To be without sight or sense is a most happy change for me,
    Therefore do not rouse me; Hush! Speak low.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UWE isnt known for its excellence in other course areas like geography, history, whatever.... but it is well known for its art courses.
    So i've been told UWE is in the top few (i've been told 2) to get into in the UK how true that is im not sure, but i know theres a hella lot of applicants for the amount that actually get through.
    I think the most important thing is if you like the place, think the facilities are sufficient for you and things like that, as you can make whatever you want of the actual uni part thats entirely up to you, theres a lot of UWE students in here so we can't speak for any other uni, but i'm pretty sure it'll be the same anywhere, just consider strongly where you'll be living i would suggest, obviously some courses are better than others, but i think you're probably aware of which ones are the highest praised

27. The Following User Says Thank You to lefran For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, (late comer to the thread) In regarding Falmouth I had an interview there for illustration but the interview was terrible, they only seemed to be interested in traditional media and creating children's books ONLY. The interviewer was rather clipped when I asked regarding about teaching and course program and barely looked through my portfoilo and said I was looking for a possible concept artist career and practically turned his nose up at me.

I'm at Cheltenham/Gloucestershire Uni now. I had a chance to go overseas during my 2nd year (now in my 3rd) to Belgium to study Bandé designée (french comics) and learn alot from them and also this final year they're really pushing to make sure you do your best with bookfairs and other conventions where publishers attend to show your work and gather interest and also work on your portfolio.

But I congraduate everyone who got into their uni and wish them all the best!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

UK Illustration courses

Yes camberwell is excellent, but it depends on what you are looking for, i think camberwell are very traditional while others might be more modernised. Look on the times good university guide and pick art and design from the drop down togive you some ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just finishing up my UCAS application now, and I think i'm only going to apply to UWE and Falmouth.

But I don't like what Salavin just said ;_; Makes me feel scared about not getting into UWE and having to go there now hahah.

And Griever - although UWE doesn't rank too well as a whole university, it's illustration degree got 10th best in the world according to ImagineFX (http://www.imaginefx.com/02287754332...t-schools.html)

Hopefully this thread will become lively again pretty soon and I can make some friends c:

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sulphur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for that link sulphur

nice to see two english schools there amongst all the US ones

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Griever - if there's anything specific you'd like to know about Edinburgh, just let me know. I didn't go to ECA (I went to Dundee University), but I now live and work in Edinburgh. It's my favourite Scottish city by far!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the look of Bristol and Bournemouth. Reading through this thread they both seems very popular - can anyone tell me how you find it? I'm leaning mostly towards animation but I also like illustration. I am currently doing my 1st year at MMU (which was convenient for me at the time, but I don't feel I am getting my moneys worth), so I'm intending to switch universities for my 2nd year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    B u r l, I study animation production at Bournemouth(aucb which is the traditional animation course) at the moment. Started the illustration course there last year but switched over as the Animation course as it focuses a lot more on drawing. (so a lot of lifedrawing, locationdrawing and master studies). It's a great course overall, and even as someone not really wanting to be an animator, I feel the knowledge and skills I learn here can be applied to whatever I would decide to do next.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikStorstein For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Zilrion. That seems really great and exactly what I am after! I'll likely try and come down for one of the open days, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, currently i'm studying on my Foundation at Lincoln college, and it's pretty good so far, i'm going to be specialising in Illustration when the next term starts and (suprise suprise) i'm applying for illustration courses at university.
    I've seen alot of people in previous posts say that there isn't much concept art based work in illustration courses, it dosen't really bother me, but out of future interests, what would be the best route after a degree course into such an industry? an MA? or applying like crazy to various design companies etc etc?

Sketchbook
    Blogspot

(Comments, Suggestions and good critiques welcomed!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, been lurking around for some time absorbing all the information I find =) So I'm applying through UCAS for the 2011 and while all the info posted on this topic has been really useful, I haven't seen anyone mentioning anything about how the portfolio and interview stuff works with international students. Any insight on that one?

Last edited by Hanes; October 28th, 2010 at 12:29 AM.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2