UK Illustration courses - Page 11

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah the tutor wanted me to take the course, he seemed really enthusiastic but when I saw the work I didnt think it reflected the same standard as the illustartion course, plus it looked almost to post-modern influenced. I just wanna find a place that will stretch me to my fullest potential, or at least motivate me to do so. thanks guys

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My interview at UWE was a big disappointment
    I went on the same Saturday for the Illustration interview.

Here's how it went:
    I spent hours like the rest of you waiting for the interview, which I had specifically been preparing for for the last half a year, and was eventually led into a room with the head of school and another guy.

They didn't ask me any interview questions, nothing that related to my art, what I'm like as a person or my influences. Didn't ask me to comment on one of my pieces like everyone else had the opportunity to, and didn't suggest once that I might not be right for the course so I had no chance to even try to impress them, in fact I came out of the interview thinking, 'wow I didn't even have to do anything, that must have gone well'

my interview took about a minute before they sent me out of the room. no explanation, nothing, just very confusing.

please visit my sketchbook to see the kind of art that I do

My art is good, I'm confident enough in it to say that, and so it should be, I spend every waking second these days just doing art, and I had a shit load of variety in my portfolio, and had answered everything they said to on the brief.

They rejected me yesterday, and now all the plans I had been making, and working towards for months, and pretty much all of my artwork has been completely brushed off in under a minute, with no explanations.

I don't mean to sound cocky, but I don't see any reasons that I would be a bad choice for the course, let alone enough reason to reject me without even asking me any questions.

I'm in the process of writing an e-mail explaining to [edit] ask them how I can improve on my portfolio for my interviews at the other two universities, because I really don't know what I could have done better.

I feel numb, and confused, and I still can't figure any of it out.

And by the way, I had an interview at Anglia Ruskin for illustration, who did talk to me, and they said they loved me and my art, and said that with my portfolio I would get into any university I wanted, no problems.

Last edited by Rob!T; March 3rd, 2009 at 10:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude, i can understand you would be annoyed, but really really would strongly disuade you from writing an email. They won't just write you off, and the majority of the people get in via route B, i had a much much stronger portfolio by that time, so i didnt bother with route A. UWE is still an option.
    If you write an email its sort of like writing yourself off, i think take time out, calm down and reconsider sending the email. The staff are good, it could be that they were only accepting a certain amount of people via route A or something? I'm not saying your art isnt good dont get me wrong because it is good, just perhaps reconsider and apply route B

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and put it this way, it also happens to a lot of other people, if you let it dishearten and discourage you then its setting you back instead of a, ok ill show them how awesome i am type approach. I hope Dan doesnt mind me saying, but Dannysketch ( whom i assume you met in london) didn't get into UWE last year, and he's one of the best on our course, he was accepted this year, theres probably just blips now and then

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The interviews are nearly always that long, in mine I said hi, talked about a piece of life drawing and then asked where the loo was. All done.

Think about it - Everyone spent hours in that room, everyone had a very short interview, everyone's spent months on their portfolio. What will you be complaining about if you write to them - the way it's run or, if you're honest, the fact that you didn't get in? Getting back to your work and trying again on Route B would be a far more constructive use of time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i agree, i think its just a take it on the chin sort of experience. My interview was longer, but that was probably because i was one of the last of my block of people, and they probably just had time to waste, i was in there like 5 minutes, but ive been told that they basically decide before they meet you just based on your portfolio (not entirely but the biggest factor is your portfolio), so the interview doesnt make that much difference i would imagine, i hope this isnt sounding harsh, but i just dont want you to shoot yourself in the foot by sending an angry email

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I explained myself wrongly, I'm not writing to have a go at them and I am not angry at them, I'm just completely lost as to what I did wrong, and quite unsettled as a result, I can't think of a single thing to do better. so I'm writing an e-mail, just to ask what the hell happened. And the fact that I feel they dealt with me unprofessionally (which I'm not going to mention in my e-mail, for obvious reasons), I just want to have a logical explanation for.

I would still give anything to get in, and I'm considering applying to them via route B also, but here are the reason why I think that is not such a good idea:

1) If like you said Lefran, they judged me based on my portfolio and I didn't get in purely because they didn't like my art, then I have no idea what to do, I don't know if I can risk my last choice on applying again to a uni that brushed me off so easily the first time.

2) The benefit of you applying route B was that you had more art, and you were more prepared. It's been a year since I did my foundation, and I've been preparing for uni for longer than that still. I have no idea what they want from me past what I already showed them. Hence the e-mail I'm going to send them to understand what I could do better.

3) Will they just see that I've already applied and failed to get in the first time, then reject me instantly?

4) Right now I feel that however much work I do It just won't be enough to impress them, because basically I think they just don't like my art.

And yes, I'm not going to lie, I'm very annoyed. But I'm not going to have a go at them, don't worry. The angry sounding bit was stupid talk, for the purposes of letting some steam off. I didn't really mean it, your comments are really helpful right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh well thats good to hear, im glad. I think perhaps it would be a good idea to put your portfolio in one place on here, like a blog or something, so everything in there is all together and we can see whats in it, then perhaps ask some people what you could improve upon i know some people you could ask, what did they ask you exactly in the interview?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    also, the sheer amount of applicants they saw is ridiculous- they saw so many rob, i really really doubt theyd remember individual portfolios no offence, and not only that, the tutors will not have time to answer emails like this they are constantly busy. Your best bet is to ask your peers on CA and recent graduates and professionals here on CA who would be willing to lend an eye and opinion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the suggestion Fran, you're completely right, I've just had trouble thinking straight since I found out.

But I still don't know whether it's worth the risk of giving up my interview with Kingston, (which is the only other place I'd be prepared to go) for a second interview at UWE, where my portfolio will only be a little bit better.

I'll scan my stuff in when I can and show everyone, it's a lot of stuff to scan. But there's the much more urgent problem of whether or not to change my route B choice, and If I don't decide before Kingston reply to me, then I won't have a choice. And I can't really have all the questions from the previous post answered unless I hear it from them personally.

I guess I'll probably just risk it all and apply to them again. Hopefully I'll get some amazing crits on my portfolio from you guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, apparently I can't change my route B choice now, In fact I'm just 1 day too late to do so. So that's it. Going to focus on getting into Kingston now.

Out of interest, do any of you UWE guys know whether the course accepts transfers in the second year?

And is anyone else here applying to Illustration and animation at Kingston?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im not sure, i'll find out tomorrow if i remember

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone, I know i'm not a massive poster on these boards but I'm looking for some advice from UWE people. I got a letter from UWE yesterday saying I didn't get into the Illustration programme but did get an offer for the Drawing and Applied Arts programme. I was thinking of accepting the offer then after a few weeks into the course say the it's not for me and change my course to illustration.

Is this possible? Or do you know anyone on the current course who has done something similar?

Thanks for any advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im not sure if this is possible, we've had people transfer off illustration to fine art, but not the other way round as illustration is more competitive and more full as a course, so im not sure, it might be possible though but ive not heard of it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm drawing and applied arts is actually quite different in my opninion... A lot of them there are in the same boat as you. The tutors and campus are completly different. I dont know in regards to drawing and applied arts whether it might be possible to swap over but I overheard an interview with animation student who wanted to come over to illustration. The head tutor deconstructed everything he did and he was rejected.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Zero Sum, I think we got the same letter I too was rejected for illustration but was accepted for DAA,I actually asked in my interview would there be a course more suited for me such as fine art, they were impressed with my portfolio but still sent me to DAA which I had no idea about. The guy there looked at my stuff while I looked around at there work (It was ok but I wasnt uber impressed with everything), but the guy there was like 'I really like you artwork, and please get in touch if when you have the chance'. So I think that question kina screwed up my chances, I was gonna try and do a transfer to illustration a few weeks in but dunno if I wanna risk it, ah well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i kind of think, if they didnt accept you the first time there must be a reason why (sorry to sound harsh but is the truth), when the course is then full, i think the chances of taking on extas is slim in the first place, let alone someone who didnt make it on the first time, i dont think it would be possible

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To true Lefran, By the way RobT, were you one of the last interviewed? I went back into the room to get my coat and wished some guy luck, don't know if it was you or not I cant remember, dosnt matter anyway. It is strange, considering everyone on this forum such as RobT has exceptional talent, point is we werent sent out because are artwork is bad, I saw some of the first year work at UWE, there was one guy who's work was pretty awesome, he did lots of self portraits on bristol board. There were lots of other cool work there aswell, but it was all somewhat animated a bit, almost cartoony. Good luck with your choices though RobT.

Dont really think Ill take up the DAA offer, it was pretty post-modernist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a little confused. What is A and B route? I'm in my first year of A level and I haven't had this explained to me >.<' And is UWE the top Uni for Illustration in the Uk then? Sorry for sounding so stupid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Route A is applying around January time and thats chosing 6 places ( as far as im aware), but you have less of a chance to get a portfolio ready, route be is around april and you apply in rank order to 3 places, bristol only accept first choice applicants. I think UWE is generally considered one of the best yes, but i would take a look at several places and the course contents and have a look round the uni's before just taking peoples words for it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll post my experiences with interviews so far.

Route As

Bournemouth Arts Institute. Before anything we were given a piece of paper to write about one of our favourite things, be it a film book or whatever. After that, a Group talk, followed by 10min interviews after they had observed our folios. We had to present together a piece of work to demonstrate either one of three things she had said, mine being 'overcoming a problem' or something. Interview left a lot to be said a lot about my portfolio arrangement. Loose sheets and unfixed drawings, I can begin to suspect why she said she saw me more as a fine artist, hehe. As a result I wasn't accepted, but it prompted me to look at my portfolio arrangement. If I could suggest anything, be up on your understanding of practices and the like, the course seems to be quite editorial based but that's my opinion.

University of Plymouth. Coming from essex I didnt get much sleep for the day but it was worth going. Interview times are done on an individual basis, first come first serve. They began in the afternoon so we had time to tour the area and have a look at the course structure. The place is new and the levinsky building is a nice practical environment. The interview was relaxed and you had 20-30mins to go over your work. I was offered a conditional there, the guy particularly enjoyed some of the more experimental pieces. Plymouth is a very good place with all-round facilities. They don't seem biased in terms of what sort of illustration you want to branch off to, hell I think some used animation to answer the briefs. They also put a lot of emphasis on employment opportunities.

Route Bs

UWE. I had to produce three influence panels as stated. I got there for the morning session (half dead from flu.) They interviewed in the same fashion as bournemouth, as they were going over everyones portfolio we headed of to bush house too look at some of the first year work. Everyone had a different approach. A few students were there to talk about the course and stuff (one particular one that stood out was Ig, if only because of his name, in a good way hehe) when we got back we were assigned tutors who would call us for interviews. I was assigned Gary and was one of the first. Him and one other saw me for 10mins to talk about a piece of work, my understandings of illustration, influences and questions. I had revamped my portfolio since so when they said the work 'spoke for itself' I would hope that it was in a good way. He liked my models I done as part of foundation (I had previously done architecture so I had a bit of experience from that.) I'll be hearing in two weeks.

Portsmouth still to come, though if I've heard good from UWE it won't matter. It wouldn't hurt to visit, Plymouth holds strong as potential study location, afterall it's what you make of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    market gate is quite nice but more expensive, drake house and nelson house are in the best location, and they are still pretty big, my room is one of the smallest, but is still pretty big, others are much bigger than mine. Each flat has 2 toilets, one with a shower if its 5, or 2 with a shower if 6, so tbh i dont think ensuites make that much of a difference unless your very particular about your space

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never felt the need for an ensuite and I live with a girl and three boys In Fran's flat they've arranged it so that her and one of the guys have one of the loos, and the other three have the other, which I guess would help with cleaning responsibilities if that's what you're worried about.

My room is huuuuuuuge, here's a pic from the beginning of the year -

UK Illustration courses

I've since moved the bed and filled with it a lot more crap, but there's still a lot of room. It's actually bigger than it looks in that photo. It's just plain luck how big the room you get is, but none of them are too small, there's a big desk and floor space in all of them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the onsuite's at market gate are lame. you just get a smelly toilet in your room which take up 2/3'rds of the space which would otherwise be your room. Everthing else is the same.

PS that desk with loadsa self portraits is either mine or Dan's, we both use Bristol board but I'm not sure if he left all his ther

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An update on my university applications:

I got a conditional from UWE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yyyoyoyooyo

got a conditional from uwe. music to my ears.
    anyone else whose heading to uwe to do illustration, check out the facebook group, just search uwe illustraiton 2009-12
    peace XXXX

porn

p.s. blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got an offer to get into Bournemouth, and my place will be held untill 31st of May. . I've been doing 1 year of illustration in Norway, but it has been terrible really, and I'm not going to pay to go there for another year. I was offered a spot at Falmouth as well, but I'm not sure if I still have it. (I'll have to send an email to find out).
    Anyway, I wondered if any students at either school could maybe tell me some about either Falmouth or Bournemouth?

Last edited by ErikStorstein; May 8th, 2009 at 09:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know someone in year 2 at bournemouth illustration, ill point her in this direction for you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a Conditional to Plymouth university for the Illustration degree. And a Conditional to Huddersfield university for their game art and multimedia degree. I already know my grades (mature student) so only need to accept either course to get in

I think I will go with Plymouth, went down there for a 1 week break whilst having the interview and found out about 20 minutes ago that I have got in. Seems like a really nice university in terms of the facility and the staff/students there, the people there were very helpful and friendly both at the university and in the general area. Was really surprised at how close everything is in Plymouth itself.

Only thing left to do now is try to get accomodation, hopefully being 21 wont put me at a disadvantage to getting a place, guess Ill have to wait and see.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2