WIP - One-Legged Lich
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: WIP - One-Legged Lich

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP - One-Legged Lich

Not precisely a lich, I suppose, but not sure what to call it. A zombie? I've painted it digitally, but I'm also posting the original ink work for comparison. It originally had wings, or the stumps of them - I got rid of them.

I have hopefully begun to imply a swamp. I like the mistiness, but it still feels like it should be 'sharper'. Yet I still like the softer edges. I would like to pretend it's close to being finished, but I know it's probably not. I'm curious about how people react to it.

Now that I look at it, I realize it's missing a leg. Hmm. There probably aren't a lot of one-legged liches wandering around in swamps. I'll fix that... or maybe I WILL make it a one-legged lich.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not too much to crit except maybe a more consistent lightsource, less glow reaching outside the body etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start. Like the hair, how it’s twisting. You could take away and not use the same colors on the hair as on the body maybe. Good anyhow. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's a cool design but yeah I would do something about right leg, sometimes I think I see it there, then sometimes I don't, kind of like a devil's pitchfork thing. But hey, a one legged lich would be cool, i would just move that gauze or indicate a stump of a thigh so we can see what's going on there. also the right arm is way too long to connect to his shoulder. what you have so far is really cool, i dig the hair.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the input. I haven't gotten a chance to work on it...

Good point about the hair. I'm not sure what sort of color will work with it, I'll try a few. I didn't want to use red, it's too close to blood. Blonde... I'm not sure gold really has a place in this painting. Green would be too close to the background color, and maybe a little odd.

You are right - the light source needs work and, yet again, I fall into the same trap of not having a consistent light source. I will force myself to do a black and white value study of this drawing. Thank you for pointing that out.

The 'devil's pitchfork' effect is what kept me from noticing the leg in the first place. I was thinking of perhaps taking advantage of the fact that I haven't added it and having a background element protrude... something she's stepping over, like a log.

I always appreciate any and all critiques, thank you for taking the time to comment on my work. I will post progress when I get a chance to work on it. Can't be all talk and no work, etc...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I neglected this particular one for a little while, but I've gone back to it and have tried taking the advice that was posted here earlier last month.

I fixed the arm, worked on the 'missing' leg - it's now missing, just properly (bone sticking out and all), and tried making her hair a dirty-blonde color. I've been blocking in the background, which doesn't quite match yet since I need to ink it, I just hope for some advice on the composition, interplay of light, etc.

And thank you, all of you, very much for the advice you have already given so far.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.