Character WIP

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Character WIP

Thanks

Character WIP

What (if any) colors would reflect off of the shiny chrome'ish metal piece on his belt thing?

Any other suggestions on lighting would be appreciated.

There are no lights in the scene.. so everything you see is painted on the texture.

Ah! Also... how can I keep the focal point off the hands/gauntlet area? While still keeping the gauntlets a very dark color and the gloves white? Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Mistoffeleez Guest
    Looks good for such a low-poly model. Nice texturing.

For me, the focal point was the belt buckle not the hands. If you are having a problem with the hands, then either alter their color or change the color of another area (in the attached example I changed just the facial areas). Personally I feel they look good white. Your palette is mostly dark, so make your focal area something bright.

I thought your guy kinda looked like some sort of Victorian Voodoo badass, so went ahead with that theme.

On the left half - Just added a layer of white and set the mode to overlay to bring out the face more.

Right half - Layer of white set the mode to saturation. Some real quick airbrushing to get the black streaks. Added a reddish tint to the eye and just some weirdo marks to the neck. Looks like someone from KISS or the Crow but oh well...my eyes still go to the buckle - I'd probably dull the buckle down and add some grungy or faded metal effects to it and not even worry about a relfection.

I'm assuming this is for a 3-D game? Which one?

Thanks
    Ah. Good call. I will go ahead and drown out the other white areas and emphasize the face more.

I was stuck on the idea that his face should be dark... but I'm starting to see that that wouldn't work so well.

Thanks!

The character won't be going into any game. I just like to make 3d character models.

Thanks
    this is a sweet model. I love the look your going for. the color of the hands would look cool on his face without the gene simmons make up; kind of an undead gunslinger. a nice blend of different genres. keep posting your updates.

Mitch

There was much rejoicing in the realm of the Harvest Gods when man created the beer, light could not penetrate.

Thanks

Unhappy

Update:

The texture is more or less finished. I'm still getting drawn to the buckle. ARGH. But I don't want to drown out the colors anymore because I wanted them to be pretty white.

The face and hair are considerably brighter now... but the lack of UVW space on the hair shows through. But oh well. Note to self: Give more UVW space to hair in the future.

If anyone is interested I can upload the actual texture in the next update.

I'll be texturing his guns next. And probably show progress for the other things I have planned to go along with the character.

Thanks
    Hey man that is sweet, both in execution, and in concept...I love gothic stuff so this is definatly bad ass in my book. Please put up the textures....how many polys is it? What program did you model this in? any chance for a screen capture with the edges showing? Keep it up man!:rock:

Thanks
    if you are still having trouble with the fact that you're eye is drawn to the buckle, then tone down the detailing on it, as it is the most detailed piece of texuring the eye will most undoubtably be drawn to it, not to mention the contrast of the buckle and the surrounding areas...blearg..just ignore me....*runs away dancing around and chuckling softly

Last edited by smashed_bananas; October 15th, 2002 at 01:36 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.