Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Buglands (miniatures sculpting)

    Hi all, for the past 3 years i have been learning to sculpt 28mm miniatures with Kneadatite Duro (greenstuff) in my short freetimes.
    Still a long road ahead but i hope to improve with the help of such talented sculptors and art folks here at concept art, so please feel free to comment and critique heavly i have thick skin and i need to improve.

    For those that dont know i started small converting gamesworkshop alien race the Tyranids but im aiming more and more for full sculpts as time goes.

    You can find all my convos and sculpts here at my site.

    http://buglands.moonfruit.com/

    but i will post some pics for the lazy ones

    (green parts are my sculpting)

    Buglands (miniatures sculpting)

    Buglands (miniatures sculpting)

    Buglands (miniatures sculpting)

    Buglands (miniatures sculpting)

    Buglands (miniatures sculpting)

    Buglands (miniatures sculpting)

    Buglands (miniatures sculpting)

    Buglands (miniatures sculpting)

    Buglands (miniatures sculpting)

    Buglands (miniatures sculpting)

    Buglands (miniatures sculpting)

    Buglands (miniatures sculpting)
    Buglands (miniatures sculpting)

    not 28mm but i have been working on this titan (still wip)

    Buglands (miniatures sculpting)

    Buglands (miniatures sculpting)

    oh and on buglands theres a couple of tutorials of the little i know...


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    252
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Cool work. That is an Eldar Titan isn't it? Is that the one from Forgeworld? good stuff.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks. Its a Eldar phantom titan from pre forgeworld days, its when armorcast did GW big resin kits.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    252
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Ah, cool. I must say I my favourites are the one with big claws and the small one that looks like an Eldar something or other.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    359
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Cool stuff! I especially like the one that looks like an Alien/Predator cross

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    315
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Wow! Those are some fantastic finishes and details. I love how well you combine the mechanical and organic parts. Are you going to paint them soon? I wanna see!
    "Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks guys

    Currently i have like 50 convos tyranids alone to paint
    , even if i intend to paint them in a near future for now im concentrated on finishing titan sculpting.

    Its hard to make time to learn a bit about miniature sculpting... also next step maybe a diferent scaled creature, bigger one, but with 28mm detail work, i will have to find a cheaper material also since greenstuf is on the expensive side but it holds detail so nicelly.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North'n Ironed
    Posts
    857
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 287 Times in 202 Posts
    Apoxie sculpt, Nav. You should've heard me 'n' Trygon bang on about it enough. Bulk out your freshly mixed GS with it, to bulk out your work; although the more AS you put in, the softer it'll be than what you're probably used to.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    Apoxie sculpt, Nav. You should've heard me 'n' Trygon bang on about it enough. Bulk out your freshly mixed GS with it, to bulk out your work; although the more AS you put in, the softer it'll be than what you're probably used to.
    hehe hi there Vermis, glad to see you again bug brother

    Yes i remember trygon's formula i was just fishing for more tips and options from pro's here
    One thing i never asked trygon does apoxie cures on normal enviroment or does it need to be baked?

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North'n Ironed
    Posts
    857
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 287 Times in 202 Posts
    No worries.
    And nope, no baking.

    I have to say I haven't seen your titan before, and I'm impressed with what you've done with it. I'm going to have to finally click on a sig-link.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dover, NJ
    Posts
    1,133
    Thanks
    472
    Thanked 336 Times in 172 Posts
    I just ordered both Apoxie Sculpt and Apoxie Clay after reading this thread. I'm working on a project for GD 2008 and was hoping for something a little easier to work with than GS. I can't make power armor out of GS to save my life, but something more clay-like usually I can always produce better results.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    No worries.
    And nope, no baking.

    I have to say I haven't seen your titan before, and I'm impressed with what you've done with it. I'm going to have to finally click on a sig-link.
    Thanks for the tip mate, guess i will try out Trygon power combo formula
    Titan its still not on buglands, i will only post it when fully finished... begining of next year if all goes as planned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pezzle View Post
    I just ordered both Apoxie Sculpt and Apoxie Clay after reading this thread. I'm working on a project for GD 2008 and was hoping for something a little easier to work with than GS. I can't make power armor out of GS to save my life, but something more clay-like usually I can always produce better results.
    Yes sharp angles are not a easy task to do with greenstuff, good thing i do mostly organic themes with it... keep us posted with the GD entries progress.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North'n Ironed
    Posts
    857
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 287 Times in 202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NAVARRO View Post
    Titan its still not on buglands
    So I see.
    I think I remember you mentioned your job sometime before, but I never realised how... household-name it is. You're a pro!

    Apoxie: 'Tis good stuff. I think so, anyway. Adding it to GS makes sharp edges easier, anyway.
    On it's own, and mixed with GS, it's a little like milliput; except softer (more easily manipulated), less sticky and messy, and less toxic. Much nicer substitute, IMO. Also, in the proper proportions with GS, it acts a lot, though not exactly, like the new procreate stuff.

    Anyway. I think I've hijacked this topic for long enough.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    who teh hell thanks me
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    never heard of material Apoxie, i first thought than those were plastic detail detail ahhhhh

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    126
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    hey guys this is my first post! great work navarro, saw the titan on cmon the other day and loved it! can't wait to see what you do with it. also would love to see those nids painted! that predator rocks!

    @vermis - you the same vermis from the forum of doom?

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    So I see.
    I think I remember you mentioned your job sometime before, but I never realised how... household-name it is. You're a pro!

    Apoxie: 'Tis good stuff. I think so, anyway. Adding it to GS makes sharp edges easier, anyway.
    On it's own, and mixed with GS, it's a little like milliput; except softer (more easily manipulated), less sticky and messy, and less toxic. Much nicer substitute, IMO. Also, in the proper proportions with GS, it acts a lot, though not exactly, like the new procreate stuff.

    Anyway. I think I've hijacked this topic for long enough.
    No, no, no hijack... by the contrary this is exactly the reason I posted here, to talk about putty options and tricks... what is your opinion on new procreate putty? so far people seem very pleased with it, although i never really tried it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryoxzonomony View Post
    never heard of material Apoxie, i first thought than those were plastic detail detail ahhhhh
    The only parts i sculpted are the ones in green mate

    Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    hey guys this is my first post! great work navarro, saw the titan on cmon the other day and loved it! can't wait to see what you do with it. also would love to see those nids painted! that predator rocks!

    @vermis - you the same vermis from the forum of doom?
    Glad to see another 28mm entusiast here, i also lurked here for an eternity and just now got the nerve to open a thread... I know i need to get my paints out of box and start painting those nids, they are starting to accumulate on my display and are screaming for colors.

    I guess this tread is starting to make mini artists all over the net to delurk and post... bring it on mates its time to show our stuff here

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dover, NJ
    Posts
    1,133
    Thanks
    472
    Thanked 336 Times in 172 Posts
    Pro Create can be pretty awesome for organic shapes and flat ridig detail depending on your resin/hardener ratio. However, I still await my apoxieclay shipment to arrive in order to compare the two. I like it because it doesnt' try to snap back to its original shape like gum (GS has this annoying quality). It's nice for trying to sculpt, say, fingers.

    Buglands (miniatures sculpting)

    ProCreate with a 60 hardener/40resin ratio is what I used to do his right greave, but it's still a pain to work with.

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the tips, i think i have to try it out. One thing i like about GS is that its very sticky so you can use that to your advantage, like by sticking some parts you can extend it to very thin shapes (thing i havent seen well done with other putties) THe fact its soft makes it also very resistant.

    more wip pics of my workplace with some titan bits


    Buglands (miniatures sculpting)

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Ruins of Kiamo Ko
    Posts
    604
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 122 Times in 108 Posts
    I've always been a fan of the Tyranids. Especially back in the day, around the old Rogue Trader/Space Hulk Edition, when they had Genestealer Hybrids and Genestealer cults wandering the galaxy. Seeing what you've done to add real diversity to your units is terrific. You've really pushed the bio-diversity elements and its certainly going to make for an impressive display on the table-top battlefield.

    As for your Eldar Titan, the details you've added are really filling in the "mystical" gaps that were missing from the original Forge World design. You can't go wrong with coil-ly bits...It looks completely ace, and I'm looking forward to a painted version.

    ~KU~
    ... a cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up, and was never heard again in that age of this world.


  21. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North'n Ironed
    Posts
    857
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 287 Times in 202 Posts
    Flippin' nice. No complaints here, except that I want to see the finished article...

    Procreate: I like it. As Pezzle mentioned, the lack of memory is a big bonus. So is the grey colour, which makes it easier to see details. I've found that these first two properties make it great stuff for sculpting 6mm minis.
    It's ridiculously easy to smooth, if you're used to GS. Also, it's somewhat stickier than GS when freshly mixed, which might be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on your POV, sculpting style, immediate task, or whatever. And it seems to have a longer working time.
    I'm not sure about the different ratios = different properties thing. Some sculptors say there's not much difference, and although I've tried different ratios, I haven't actually tested it or paid enough attention to the results.
    It's supposed to be easier for beginners than GS, and although it took me a while to get used to it I'd agree with that. It's not bad for the more experienced either. It's great stuff, and I'd highly recommend it.
    On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure that it'll replace GS and other putties, as people claimed when it was released. Personally I still like to bulk up with GS and AS; and I'd still use GS, AS and brown stuff for (parts of) the outer skin and details, depending on mood and circumstances (in the case of GS, when I want memory, for certain rounded and organic shapes). Also, some sculptors still aren't fond of it. Kev at Hasslefree recently finished an Elvis impersonator that sat on the shelf for a long while, because he started it in procreate and didn't enjoy it much.

    Yeesh. I've written a lot like that, about putty and stuff, on Warseer and other places. So much so that I told myself I'd write up some kind of primer or tutorial, for what it's worth. I should get round to it...

    Freakinacage: if those links didn't convince you - yes. Yes I am.

    Pezzle: a tad dark, but nice work from what I can see.

  22. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
    seen your work around before, think it was on chest of colours or something like that. as a tyranid fan im really impressed by it all, as a crit, its brilliant stuff though i really wish you'd crack open the paint pots... this stuff would look even more amazing painted.

  23. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dover, NJ
    Posts
    1,133
    Thanks
    472
    Thanked 336 Times in 172 Posts
    Hey, I got my first shipment of apoxie clay and apoxie sculpt yesterday. I did in 20 minutes what took me 2 hours in GS to do when it comes to sculpting power armor. I lay down the initial shapes with straight apoxie clay, shape, and then after it firms up for about 30 mins or so, add Apoxie Sculpt + GS and do fine rigid detailing. It dried rock hard in about 4 hours, didn't even have to keep it at the game store overnight to cure.

    Couldn't believe it. I'm sold.

  24. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingUnicorn View Post
    I've always been a fan of the Tyranids. Especially back in the day, around the old Rogue Trader/Space Hulk Edition, when they had Genestealer Hybrids and Genestealer cults wandering the galaxy.
    (snip)
    ~KU~
    Same here, first time i saw Tyranids was in a old space hulk game a decade (maybe more) ago, since that day Tyranids would be in my brains forever

    Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    Flippin' nice. No complaints here, except that I want to see the finished article...

    Procreate: I like it. As Pezzle mentioned, the lack of memory is a big bonus. (snip)

    Yeesh. I've written a lot like that, about putty and stuff, on Warseer and other places. So much so that I told myself I'd write up some kind of primer or tutorial, for what it's worth. I should get round to it...
    .
    Wow mate thats lots of usefull tips, thanks a lot. guess now I dont have any escuses to try it out... and yes a putty document is in order ( we can even host it on buglands site if you wish to mate)

    Quote Originally Posted by Re@per View Post
    seen your work around before, think it was on chest of colours or something like that. as a tyranid fan im really impressed by it all, as a crit, its brilliant stuff though i really wish you'd crack open the paint pots... this stuff would look even more amazing painted.
    Same heres my sculpts do need colors ASAP... and i also hang out in Chest of colors, great place to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pezzle View Post
    Hey, I got my first shipment of apoxie clay and apoxie sculpt yesterday. I did in 20 minutes what took me 2 hours in GS to do when it comes to sculpting power armor. I lay down the initial shapes with straight apoxie clay, shape, and then after it firms up for about 30 mins or so, add Apoxie Sculpt + GS and do fine rigid detailing. It dried rock hard in about 4 hours, didn't even have to keep it at the game store overnight to cure.

    Couldn't believe it. I'm sold.
    hehe, good to hear, seems like we may have a putty winner on our hands, I really have to try it out Apoxie Sculpt + GS combo.

Similar Threads

  1. Art: miniatures
    By dfangit in forum 3D Art, Sculpture & Toy Art
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 21st, 2011, 03:20 PM
  2. Looking 4 help to ID miniatures
    By sagalev in forum Art Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 8th, 2010, 07:44 AM
  3. Art: Miniatures
    By Mabus in forum 3D Art, Sculpture & Toy Art
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 12th, 2008, 06:08 PM
  4. Art: RPG Miniatures sculpting question
    By Michael Jaecks in forum 3D Art, Sculpture & Toy Art
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 21st, 2006, 12:05 AM
  5. Miniatures
    By Sanby in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 14th, 2005, 09:52 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.