Clone Gunner

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Clone Gunner

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Clone Gunner

Here's a little WIP i've been working on for a few days. little bit of fun trivia- this is probably the best digital piece i have ever done. i'm rather proud of it.
    but i still want it torn to shreds by you gurus out there.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but the minigun does more damage.

Amateur Arist Looking To Be Mentored
    Clever - Loyal - Open Minded
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1) I can't think of any good reason for the feet to be chopped off like they are.

2) The lighting is completely inconsistent. On some parts you have it lit from the left, on some it is lit from the right, and on some it is lit from above.

3) The guy in the armor would have to have the anatomy of a flesh-less skeleton to be able to fit inside there. Parts of the suit are just too narrow.

4) A background would be nice.

Start with these, then show it to us again.

As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great advice Mephisto, and thanks for taking the time to critique. The feet chopped off was a consequence of canvas size... which I'll remedy. You're completely right about the lighting. As for the armor, are there any specific parts that look too narrow? I did build an anatomical frame for the torso, but my anatomy isn't all that great. So the inconsistency in the armor reflects the inconsistency in the anatomy.
    A background you want, a background you shall have.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay i have some input for you.

- minigun, angle of barrels doesn't match the angle of the boxy bit (technical term) so he'd pretty much be shooting upwards all the time. Unless that is part of the design. Also i'd like to see a bit more detail on the main boxy bit of the gun. I know pesepctive on firearms is a pain, but really you want to elaborate on the shape of that part of the gun. Also where the barrel joins to the rest of the gun i'd like to see it... a mechanism or something rather than it just getting cut off.

- i quite like the stark white background... and it can work well eg: http://www.kempart.com/coppermine/di...?album=3&pos=3 i guess it depends on whether you are treating this as a character design or as an illustration what you do with that.

- also check the above link for metal effect and general kick ass lighting.

- finally try to clean up. for an image like this the appearence of slickness and of hard clean shapes is very important, your edges are a bit fuzzy and muddy in places due to the opacity of the brush you were using and... this undermines the material properties of the suit.

finally finally, i'm glad you are proud of this piece, i take it that it has been a learning experience, that you can take on board and make your next one even better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm...........is that a gun in yer pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

The gun should really be on a tripod. The way he is holding it looks either very uncomfortable or very suggestive......................and still uncomfortable.

Honest, I don't try to be an asshole, it just happens!

http://evildragonfire.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhythmus View Post
    As for the armor, are there any specific parts that look too narrow?
    The suit as a whole is very skinny and tight, but I think the right shoulder, left elbow, and waist are the areas that bother me the most. The guy inside would really have to be anorexic to fit in there.

Remember, the clones are copies of Jango Fett. Maybe get some reference of the actor that played him in Attack of the Clones to see how big to make the guy in the suit. Then build the armor around that size person.

As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    robotnik- Roger that on the minigun. As for the white background, I'll probably put in a bg, but my main focus is on the clone, so I'm focusing all my efforts towards that at the moment. you're quite right on the kick-ass sterile feeling i'm going for... although, to be honest, i have no idea how to do that. sharper lines, you say?

evildragonfire- I'm just happy to see you. You know, I forgot to put in a shoulder strap. I think it was because some media of the character (to go all Star Warsy on you, the statues and figures that have him wearing a regular ARC helmet and pauldron) has the shoulder pad while others (statues/figures with an AT-RT helmet and no pauldron) do not include the strap. I'll add that in there.

Mephisto- Nice to see you again. Right shoulder, yeah, left elbow, yeah, and waist... ouch, how did I miss that? He's got Paris Hilton's waist. yikes. A Temuera Morrison ref... ingenius.

Maybe I'll just make up the back story, namely "TK 5887 was always picked on for his receding hair line and imperfect genes, so he stopped eating and carried a huge gun to compensate for his lack of self esteem."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay so first thing i suggest you do (after or during correcting the anotomical issues highlighted thus far) is loose the outlining because it is creating a rough edge, and also flattening the whole piece.

So i'd start to paint out the outlines with white the same as the background.

Then you'll want to go back in and define the shape of the armour, but tonally rather than by separating if from the background with a line.

and if you were to leave the background white there may be areas where the actual edge of the armour is the same tonal value as the background. i did do a quick paintover but i'm on my laptop so, couldn't get a satisfactory result for you.

also check your shading and try to replace oobvious gradients with more... confident planes of colour. it will make things look far more solid. if you study the image in the link that i posted you'll see these techniques in action.

lastly i'm not an expert, but i think that these things are worth a go. i'm sure you'll post up your progress as you go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, as well as some as minor anatomical corrections, I tried to make the angle of the minigun's barrel(s) so they'd be straight with the "boxy bit."
    Haven't started getting rid of the outlines yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by robotnik View Post
    also check your shading and try to replace oobvious gradients with more... confident planes of colour. it will make things look far more solid. if you study the image in the link that i posted you'll see these techniques in action.
    Sorry, little green here. that sage statement went straight over my head, but it got me interested. Can you explain a bit more?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i tried typing what i mean out in words but couldn't make it make sense. so i did a picture. This is what i try to do in my work at least. Maybe it will help you out too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, here he is with his outlines erased. I tried to use tone and value to indicate where the armor ends, but I'm not sure that I've got the hang of it. I may try an off-yellowish color, or possibly even a bluish tint to go with his markings.
    Also tried to use different gradients. Obviously haven't rendered the minigun yet. Tell me what you think.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.