Indiana University?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Indiana University?

I've been considering Indiana University for an MFA, and wanted to know if anyone has an idea of how good a school it is for illustration. They don't have a specific program for that, but I'm trying to look into the faculty to see if there's someone I could study with in particular. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty sure that my figure teacher got her MFA at Indiana University, so if I'm right, they seem to have a decent program. She was a fine arts major, however, so there might be a bit of a difference. From the way she made it sound, each student is assigned a studio and they work on their own projects at their own pace. You could possibly make the program work for you--keep doing research. I hope there's someone around who knows more about it than me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What is it that you want to accomplish and what are your goals? Fine art is such a vague term now, and can mean anything form high realism to installation art. Are you looking for a career in concept art? Do you want to paint in the "academic" style? Why do you want a MFA?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know several artists who got their MFA at Indiana. One of my instructors got their degree there and even returned to teach for a while before moving to Sarasota. Great school from what I hear. Not sure about what to do with illustration.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My goal is to be a comic book illustrator, but am looking in to an MFA because I want to teach later. The reason I'm looking at IU is because it looks like I'll be relocating to that area come next Fall, and while I'm considering working and building my portfolio for a year or two instead (no rush for the MFA), I'd also like to stay in school for now if possible.
    As for the type of art program, it looks like a good number of the painting faculty lean towards traditional and figurative art, rather than what normally passes for fine art these days. I've written to the head of the department and am waiting for a response, so I figured I'd ask around about the school here in the meantime.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.