Scanner/Scan issues

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Scanner/Scan issues

Hello everyone. I'm an aspiring character designer and animator. I'm very new here but I'm raring to get involved. This is a fabulous site, I'm lucky to have found it!

But before I post any artwork, I'd like to ask you other artists about this scanning problem I've been having for a long time. I've tried at least three different scanners (Epson, Brother, HP), and every time I scan artwork it becomes stretched vertically, slightly. My faces become longer and the facial proportions look odd. If I had scanned in a perfect circle, it would come out on the screen looking like a slight oval. I cannot find any more settings to tweak on the scanner/printer I use now, the Brother, in order to help preserve the original look of my sketch or traditional piece.

Advice please? Any of it would be much appreciated. u_u
    Thank you. Sorry about the n00b-ish question. ^^;

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, since no one seems to know what I'm talking about, I'll try a different approach at fixing the problem.

I'm not sure if this is the problem that I have, but can someone tell me how to get rid of the pinched sides/edges of a scan?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It could be your display is not set up with the right pixel x and y proportions. Check it as this would cause the problem you describe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Baby View Post
    It could be your display is not set up with the right pixel x and y proportions. Check it as this would cause the problem you describe.
    First of all, thank you very much for replying. u_u

I tried to see if there was anything I could adjust, relating to what you've mentioned...the x and y proportions. But it seems to me that that setting is non-existant on the type of scanner I have. Unless you meant general/adjustable width and height. I've got a picture of my scan display down there. Hopefully it will show...

By the way, the characters are not mine. It's a piece of fanart I just used for the 'demonstration'. They are copyright DC Comics and Neil Gaiman. (LOVE the Sandman comics. >_<)

Her face is a fair bit rounder and smaller in the original piece! :/

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What i meant to say was check your display settings on your monitor. For example my monitor is set at 1280 by 960 but there is the opportunity to set it at a different ratio. The monitor will adapt to that size but it will throw off circles, squares etc. Sometimes monitors will have inbuilt test patterns which will allow you to see grids and circles which allows you to check for distortion. When you draw a perfect circle in photoshop does it come out as an oval. If it does then it's your display.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Baby View Post
    What i meant to say was check your display settings on your monitor. For example my monitor is set at 1280 by 960 but there is the opportunity to set it at a different ratio. The monitor will adapt to that size but it will throw off circles, squares etc. Sometimes monitors will have inbuilt test patterns which will allow you to see grids and circles which allows you to check for distortion. When you draw a perfect circle in photoshop does it come out as an oval. If it does then it's your display.
    I know now that it probably is my monitor. Thank you for that.
    However, twice I tried to change it to a higher resolution (using Reschanger 2005) and twice it ended in disaster, resulting in the 'VIDEO MODE IS NOT SUPPORTED' screen of death. I needed to use Nvidia to change my settings back. T_T 1024 x 768 seems to be the only one that fits my monitor.

I guess, it's just something I have to cope with?
    So long as the artwork will not look too distorted on other viewer's monitors. I am a bit disappointed though...
    Anyway I greatly appreciated your help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i don't know how to fix your problem but a workaround for it might be to scan a circle, then fixing the distortion in photoshop. if you record the transformation you do on it to get it corrected, then you could just play that as an action on everything you scan. i know - it ain't pretty, but until you get things really fixed this seems like a fairly easy thing to do.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tensai View Post
    i don't know how to fix your problem but a workaround for it might be to scan a circle, then fixing the distortion in photoshop. if you record the transformation you do on it to get it corrected, then you could just play that as an action on everything you scan. i know - it ain't pretty, but until you get things really fixed this seems like a fairly easy thing to do.
    Alright, thank you so much. u_u
    I thought I would have to do that...
    The only thing is if I fix the image to fit my resolution...it may look odd on other monitors. (ie. other people looking from their computers)

x_____x;

But anyway, thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Are there no options on the monitor itself to change the relative proportions of the display?

My cheap, ancient Samsung has them marked as "H-size" and "V-size", they're usually tucked away under a menu somewhere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    Are there no options on the monitor itself to change the relative proportions of the display?

My cheap, ancient Samsung has them marked as "H-size" and "V-size", they're usually tucked away under a menu somewhere.
    Nah, I've only got the H position V position...
    but thank you. u_u

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't want this to come across as me being an ass,I just don't know how experienced you are with this kind of thing.

You could right click on your desktop>properties>settings

Now look at your screen resolution options. There should be a slider and when you slide it there are a bunch of different options. Some newer machines won't even allow you to choose ridiculous settings, so don't worry to much about screwing anything up. If the screen goes black, just wait 15 seconds and it will revert to what you had before.

This is the only thing I can think of. I see you tried what looks like some kind of second party resolution changer, maybe windows just doesn't like it?

Play with it.

ps-maybe it will help to scan a perfect circle and have that on the screen for reference.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.