Sketchbook: Sketchbook of Dawnland

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook of Dawnland

Greetings!
    A friend of mine made me realize how much I've missed drawing.
    At work, I mainly work with layout, websites and logo design so the drawing is always secondary.
    To get me motivated to draw more I registered here at CA.

First of all I will post images drawn for more than ten years ago (which I've had plans to digitally colourize for some years now).
    Later on I will post more recent artwork.

Feedback and critiscm are most welcome.
    (I fear that I won't take the time to do the same for others since I have very little time for this "hobby" of mine. Thanks in advance). I am here to learn and well - I really should give it more time but there is none for the moment, sorry).

Last edited by dawnland; February 10th, 2011 at 11:12 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Zodiak of Chaos

6 out of 14 images from the Zodiak drawn 1996.

0 - The Fool
    2 - The High Priestess
    5 - The Hierophant
    10 - The Wheel of Fortune
    12 - The Hanged Man
    18 - The Moon

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Zodiak of Chaos

Drew the whole Zodiak (mainly to have a theme) back in 96.
    6 out of 12 added here (pisces, aries, gemini, virgo, libra, sagittarius)
    As these images are drawn in the same style as the Tarot they may seem redundant...

All for now
    /Daniel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, glad to see you starting a sketchbook, they are an excellent marker for progress over time. Because the pieces are so old, its hard to comment at the mo, have you got anything newer to post? but welcome to ca.org...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RandAlThor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Computer colourized stuff (old)

Thanks for the reply RandAlThor.

I still want c&c on the old stuff I posted. Haven't drawn that much since 96 so my artwork will not be improved, ha!

Here is another old thing, colourized in the computer back in 96 (I was inspired by some comic cover named Alien Sex Fiend and thought -wow - one can colourize things in phothoshop). Did not turn out as well as I intended, but anyway.

Newer stuff will be posted later this week.

/Daniel

My sketchbook (images from 1996 to present) - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=108653

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the first pencil stuff, even if it is old. The couloured ones dont seem to be as good, but i will wait for some new work

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jiga For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHOW86, the Junk Collector

True Jiga. I agree. I did not put as much time and effort into the coloured stuff. It was supposed to become a comic and I was in a hurry (no patience, wanted to be finished right away.)

The coloured stuff are really bad, but I wanted to post it to have something to compare with when I (someday) will post new coloured stuff, ha!

The only colourized image I've made since then (except for some vector art) is this one for the Character of the Week #86. But it still need another hour or two to be completed but it was great fun anyway. More recent stuff to come.

/Daniel

My sketchbook (images from 1996 to present) - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=108653

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches.
    Study some anatomy and proportions.
    Dont be so rushy on colour pictures.
    Post on my SB ^^.

sujak nx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to throtailer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Comic - November

Found this old drawing from 1996 and felt like posting it before uploading new stuff (which I'll probably do tomorrow)
    This is page four from a comic that I started to draw with a friend. As usual we didn't finish it.

Know that it's quite pathetic and cheesy, but it's nothing compared to the script and dialogue, ha!

(traditional charcoal sketch filled with black marker. (before the computer age - now it's a lot easier to just "fill" the black.)

As usual - c&c are most welcome, all to make me better!
    Thanks!

/Daniel

Last edited by dawnland; October 23rd, 2007 at 09:57 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Childrens book 2005 (or something)

Different style than my sketches. Mainly I only have two "styles". The Zodiak and Tarrot of Chaos style and this inatile, fast drawn style like these. Use to draw and paint illustrations for my "day time work" in this "style".
    My wife wrote most of the script with some help from me on the vacation two (or was it three?) years ago.

Being registred here I hope to develop at least 3 other styles of drawing, but time will tell.

All for now.

/Daniel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Drawings 2007

Finally I took the time to draw. This summer on the vacation in Greece.
    4 images drawn with the black pencil (without sketch and the ability to erase which is a quite good challenge/excercise)

To have a concept this time I gave the characters from a game I made on the amiga (for more than 15 years ago) a new look.

My intention is still to colourize these using painter (as well as some of my zodiak drawings) but I haven't taken the time yet.

/Daniel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP - colourization of Wee - the Witch

First piece made in painter except for the CHOW above.
    I want to learn and therefore I post some WIP. Don't know if they are too many?
    Non-colour original above.

I had a hard time to decide if I should keep the thick black lines/contours but I finally decided to remove them.

I made her taller half way through the process after a comment from my wife and added a visible lightsource yesterday after a good advice from my painter-friend. (haven't worked on it at all yet)

This one is drawn in A5 size at 300 dpi (1600 x 2400 pixels). I've come to understand that this is a bit overkill since one can resize the image before going into details instead, but I learn with time I hope. The wip are shrinked 33 percent except for the last one that is at 100 percent and croped.

There are a lot more to do on this one but I hope for some creative criticsm. (you can see which parts I haven't worked on yet etc)

All for now and thanks in advance!

/Daniel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, that last one turned out well. Good to see your process.
    one thing you might wanna try, make sure you set some drawing time aside for just anatomy and figure drawing and such, should help overall with everything else if you keep at it regularly.

and again, that last paint came out nicely, no real crits from me on it (still really struggling with painting myself >_<)

keep on drawing
    cheers,
    chris

Ninja code forbid me to use door

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

i can haz folio wip: WEBSITE

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nizza_waaarg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!

Glad you're back into drawing!!

You have a neat style, I think! There's something a bit wild about it! I like those Zodiac drawings...crazy and expressive!!

A couple things you should work on, as others said, are anatomy and proportion. For the woman in red, I'm curious if you drew her body first, or if you just drew everything at once--clothes, uncovered body parts, etc. I think the clothes look a little off, in the way they hang on her. Before you get them on, just make sure you have a grasp on her proportions, including the foreshortening. It's a little tough, I find. Still, it'll be good practice after all this time of not drawing!

As for the clothes, it will be good to study how clothes hang from the body, how gravity affects folds and such. There's a thread about folds somewhere on CA. Just make a search and you should find it!

Also (this is the last thing!), I notice the drawings overall are kind of stiff, as if you're just drawing, not getting the feel for the bodies and different forms. A good exercise is life drawing. Do it anywhere, and try to get a loose gesture going. People may be in the most boring stances, but believe me, the practice REALLY helps out!

You're pretty good with lines, though. Just keep working at them! Maybe worry about them before colour, but hey, enjoy colouring still! You surely don't have to stop! That's good progress from the '96 pictures!

Never give up, even when times seem really tough!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks for the feedback!

Nizza_waaarg: Well - I've found it interesting to see peoples WIP in several steps so I thought that it could be nice to do the same. (the "final" one posted here are not the final final version thou - some more hours remain)

JazzW: Thanks. Missed it (even thou all my interests tend to create something for the mind eye and/or ear). Re the woman in red. I did draw everything at once with black pen (no charcoal sketch or eraser) to practice. Agree re the clothes thou (but it's still not the final version)
    Thanks for telling.

Most fitting in your crits/comment is this: drawings overall are kind of stiff
    You couldn't be more right! The zodiak is probably supposed to be that way, but the others have the same... stiffness!
    I will think about that in the future. More "try to get a loose gesture going"
    Once again - thanks for the long cc!!!

To all:
    And yes - as you and others have told me - Really should study more anatomy and proportions (even thou many of my characters are supposed to be more of fantasy/comic characters meaning the head is intentionally drawn too big etc) - So - I should do more of those - study drawings, but as my time is very limited (children house wife make music- create stuff-interests) I chose to just draw more fun stuff when finally take the time, ha!

/Daniel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another post with 1996 drawings

HR Giger Inspired landscape and some girls.
    More new and old stuff to be posted later this week.

/Daniel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sb man. if you want come join the Spartan thread. great exercise for drawing figures. check it out
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110065

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Recent design - Dusk Dwellers of Dawnland

Tshirt designs and site from 2007.
    Characters drawn in my fast sketchy lineart style (as the childrens book etc above) in Illustrator (after some handdrawn sketches on paper)

As these can be printed in 2-3 colours and thereby suitable for tshirts I decided make a site for them with downloads and a store. http://dusk.dawnland.com

Not really sure if these qualify here at conceptArt thou.

All for now.

/Daniel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Speedpainting lesson 1 WIP

Since I have a problem with finding the time to draw, I found that "speedpainting" could be interesting to try.

For this self-lesson I drew the image with felt pen on a ferry trip some weeks ago (no sketch or eraser used)

First I thought that 30 min for the colour would be enought, but before I started I changed it into 60.

A friend already told me to work with bigger brushes and at like - 25 percent zoom, witch I will try for my last 35 min on this one.

All crits/comments and help are welcome. Need it, ha!

/Daniel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Speed painting - 55 min

Ok. Another 30 min, meaning there is 5 minutes left on my initial 60 min.

Help!

There is no way that this will be finished after 5, so I will probably expand the time with 30-60 min.
    Right now I think that i will be better if I drop the black contours and merge it all, but that will mean I need even more time.
    Or maybe I just decide that it's time to stop anyway.

Posting WIP from 35, 45 and 55 min

/Daniel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

So much for speedpainting...

Ok.
    My intended time for the speedpainting (1 hour) is now overdue with 50 minutes and it's still a wip.
    Problem for me right now is - when do I stop? Have to print these and see the progress. I am satisfied with the grainyness now, but it's not finished.

So - here is the wip for 55+55 min.
    CC most welcome as usual!

/Daniel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do some more.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Lander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Medusa sketches

Some sketches for chow 100 - Medusa the Queen.
    will probably go with an enthroned one but feedback and opinions are apreciated.

Did a fast black silhouette-thing to see if the shapes are tracable but the throne in the image are making it hard. (and yes - For the moment I'm quite inspired by danzig-verotiks Igrat and Satanika)

All for now.

/Daniel

Hawaii (though I would be happier in a small town)
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook! I like what you have going on here, there is alot of great stuff! Just keep at it and maybe do some life drawing, thats whats been helping me alot lately! and you know what you want so be more confident with your strokes! you can do it! look forward to seeing more of your work!

"the freedoms and prisons are in the mind"
    heres my sketchbook! - http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113580

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Drifter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Medusa the Queen

Althou it was a very interesting subject I did not have/take the time to finish my Medusa.
    Posting the wip here just for fun and hopefully some feedback.
    Time will tell if I ever will finish it, but it was great fun.

I might upload the pencil sketch later.

All for now.

/Daniel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Myling sketches

Some sketches from last year that I feel like posting. ideas/concept for a colab ghoststory.

Later...
    /Daniel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketches jan 08

Just to keep this updated.

/d

Last edited by dawnland; February 10th, 2011 at 09:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Be Buried in Silent Hill

Here's my entry for the Silent Hill: Downpour Facebook contest - Be Buried in Silent Hill.
    (I must say that I really don't like the fact that Konami forced me to join facebook to participate, but I guess I can leave when the contest is over...)

Concept art, sculpture - No Evil - Schizofrenic/Split personality, suffering the life long denial of their "dark" self and insipid rejection of pleasure.
    A3 pencil drawing with some colour added.

/Daniel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help needed...

Sketchbook of Dawnland
    Sketchbook of Dawnland
    Sketchbook of Dawnland

Finally - some illustration work at my daytime job!
    I decided to take on a different approach than my regular, very simple/childish style that I mostly use for these illustrations.

These are work in progress - 1.5 hours, 2.5 hours and 3 hours.
    The image is in it's final phase (I´ve decided to leave the background rough) but I will add some final light and shadows, and perhaps some grain.

Anyway - All comments and critics are most welcome as I have an hour or two to put on this piece - before the time runs out. It will go to print next friday (the 13th!).

Thanks in advance!

/Daniel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bro, you got some nice ideas but.. would maybe suggest to you to practice breaking things (from life/ref) down with basic volumes, keep practicing =)
    Sketchbook of Dawnland

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1