Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Game Asset

Thanks

Game Asset

Here's some of my 3D models from school.
    Last edited by cubesoflard; November 18th, 2008 at 01:59 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I can tell you worked very hard on this model..

My only suggestion is that you should work on the wheels and tires a bit more. The tires need to have crevasses instead of just protruding bumps.

Keep it up.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Doctor Robotnik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Robotnik View Post
    I can tell you worked very hard on this model..

My only suggestion is that you should work on the wheels and tires a bit more. The tires need to have crevasses instead of just protruding bumps.

Keep it up.
    I agree whole heartedly agree with ya but because its so cartoon-y looking when I originally looked at the picture i noticed the tired right away but i kind of like them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to artisticdork For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Starting up Maya

Maya's a new program I'm learning and already I'm loving it so much more than 3D max. Here's my latest assaignment. Sorry about the rendering quality. I'll get better as the term progress's. Thanks guys for the comments also.

Doctor Robotnik: thanks for the crit. My tires did come off a little to simple but I think the bevel can make up for it.

Artisticdork: Ya I was going for the toy, cartoony, plastic look. I added a lot of bounce light to get off that affect in 3D max. It gives it a clean look. You won't see me do that no more cause I just discovered mental ray last week and that stuff is sick.
    Last edited by cubesoflard; October 20th, 2007 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks

Unrwwap

Here's my first attempt to unwrap an object and failed miserably. I was trying to go for realism but didn't quite knock it off. oh well. Its a start.

Thanks
    Cubesoflard - the machinery model is a start, I think the biggest detractors the very shiny surfaces and the sharp edges on a lot of the model. The textures look a little too 'big' and pixellated, and some areas the UVs seem to be out. If you were looking for 'realism' I would model some of the details like bolts etc. but it depends on what you'd be using it for and how many polys you want in the scene.

Unwrapping UV's can be a bit of a pain to get right but for basic shapes the best approach can quickly become second nature.
    MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

10. The Following User Says Thank You to D-Holme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    well if you were to first finish un wrapping that model and then fix that lighting to match the photo you start to make things happen. also it doesnt look like you have a diffuse map on your model, is that just a bump, spec, and color?
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert.B For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My Previous tank

D Holme and noshadowmaster thanks for the crits. Ya, it was my first time unrwrapping with mentle rays. Hopfully I'll find time to polish it up this week.

Thanks
    Here's my second assaignment for my material and lighting class. All this unwrapping is still really confusing for me so I just got to work harder.

Thanks
    The second military vehicle is pretty good.
    Try beveling the edges, they will look more natural. And try observing how light behaves with different materials.....you should make that ball and the rainforest book less glossy...try to make that highlight more spread out(especially on the ball). Also try to modulate the specularity/reflection with maps. the floor from post#5 is pretty bad.
    The hand is not good. the anatomy isn't there and you have too much sharp edges, even after smoothing the mesh.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to iatriki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    updates.

Thanks iatriki for the great crits.

Thanks
    put a diffuse map on that basket ball and make that bump map excave right now its looking kind of concave. Also looks like your using a 512 maps make that thing huge like 1280/1024 or higher.The hat needs to be subdivided a level up which is why it has those hard edges, your shadows have no penundrum/decay so they have very hard edges. Unfortunatly 3d shadows add unlike real shadows so you have to tweak them. Take a look at your photo again see how soft those shadows are?
    the carpet is looking like granite or cement i would just try and find a hihgres photo of some carpet and just use that with a shader assigned that doesnt have any specular highlights and try applying the same image a bumpmap and see how it looks.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert.B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Iatriki: ya I really need to play more with my diffuse and glossy maps to get better results for my materials.

noshadowmaster: Thanks for the crit and the info on my text size. I was working a lot with low res polys and it shows. As for the shadows, me and my teacher were trying to feather out the edges by ajusting the sample bias somewhere in the shadow parameters but couldn't get any results. the carpet was hard too. I originally had a bevel map on the carpet but it looked like some kind of strange plaster.

Thanks
    sure thing dude keep on rendering and learning your doing good
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks
    Do you plan on putting a skin on the tank? It looks pretty awesome, and the comment about beveling the edges is a good suggestion. If you gave it the worn painted look, and played with light behavior, I think you would have a really solid military vehicle. Keep it up! You're going in the right direction for sure.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Doctor Robotnik For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Stuff

Doctor Robotnik: Ya, I think unwrapping the thing would be portfolio material but as for right now I've been so busy with school plus i'm trying to prepare for the workshop and junk. You know how it is.

So I decided I need to get back into skulpting so I dug up all my old tools and did a quick portriat of an old geeser while watching some seinfield. Sorry about the pic qaulity.

Thanks

This Week

Here is this week's assignment. I modeled out a concept piece from halflife2 . The first image is the concept.

Thanks
    thats pretty close man the only thing I would do is lower the ambient light, take down that red point light a bit, add some softer shadows and then add a film grain to the final image. What software are you creating these with?
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert.B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ya, I'm using 3D max. It was really frustrating trying to get all the lights working properly but I finally managed to get some kind of resembalance.

Thanks

Mat and Lighting

Hmwrk from this week.

Thanks
    since your using max i strongly suggest taking advantage of mental ray and final gather. trust me you will be glad you did.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks
    Ya, ever since my teacher showed me mental ray, thats all I ever use. Most of my textures are arch and design materials with gloss, bevel, and diffuse maps. I need to experiment more with other methods though. The material editor is so vast and complicated. I only touched a tip of the iceberg so far. But as far as my project goes, I was really struggling with the mental ray shadows from my omni lights. they came out too hard and jagged so I went into the mental ray shadow maps rollout and played around with the sampling and the shadows didn't respond. I had the sampling range up at a million at one point and still I got no results it just remained solid and hard edged. Does anyone know why that is?

Thanks
    that halflife two image is looking good maybe add some fog to get some of the atmosphere, like the staircase from the skillfull huntsman, i love that art book

Thanks
    Thanks man. Ya, I bought the book over a year ego and I still can't stop looking at it.

Thanks
    try giving the cam in the halflife pic a fisheye lense or whatcha call it, will help with showing more windows and make it look more like the ref pic. xD
    I totaly Suck at 3dstudio but thats just my two cents.
    keep up the great work.

Thanks
    Cubesoflard – I like to see how your work is progressing. I’ve not used mental ray much so I’m not sure about your shadow problem.

A bit of critique:
    The first banner on the left has misaligned its mapping and the texture on the banners looks a little too ‘strong’ the dark areas look odd, might be the bump is on too high. A higher res’ texture will likely help too as it is a little blocky, the same is true for the carpets (both of which are usually harder to texture than solid bodies).

The arch and the curve of the painting could benefit from some more sub-division.

I haven’t been able to see a copy of the reference image so this might be intentional but the pillars look a little too reflective, it looks more like metal than stone. Not knowing how you’ve done it the material, might look better with a reflection map matching the texture to give some variation to the reflections as imperfect stone might.

Hope to see how the next work looks….
    MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Thanks

Comments, Crits and some Help

You stated that you are just starting in 3d so your models are looking pretty good. One thing that I would suggest when presenting some of your models and renderings is to provide a wire frame view as well. This will help people see how your model really looks and help in pointing out any geometry issues you may be having.

Along the lines of your models and geometry... are you trying to keep all of you models really low poly? Because I can see tessellated edges everywhere. Best example I can point out in in your wheels... wheels are round and you should not be able to easily see where the geometry is turning. If you are making them out of cylinders then I suggest you increase your side count. (It looks like you only have 12-18 sides on your current wheels). Another good example is your industrial scene with the in caged sphere. Your version is quite obvious that you used a geo sphere.

Its already been mentioned that you should try to bevel/chamfer your edges. They look more realistic because rarely in nature are you going to fine such a sharp edge. And depending on where your object is in the scene and how close it is to the camera a single bevel/chamfer may not do...

Also in posts 9 & 11 take a look at your uvw mapping on your Rainforest book. In the same post, look at the bill of the hat. You need some more geometry there to get the bill of the hat to round off better.

To answer you mental ray shadows question... If you are getting jagged shadows you need to increase the mental ray shadow map size, not the samples. Using the sample range and samples will allow you to get softer shadows. Your lights and material properties are going to play a big roll in the over all outcome of your render.

Here is a little something for you that might help explain a few things. Hope it helps. Keep up the good work and good luck.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to AphexTweak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks man for all your help. This will help me a ton.

Thanks

Dirty Room

Here's a simple room. I decided to focus all my attention on my textures and try to make it look realistic.
    Last edited by cubesoflard; November 29th, 2007 at 07:45 PM.

Thanks
    you getting the hang of it now throw a bump map on the door, and the floor.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast