Loss of talent.

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Loss of talent.

Unhappy Loss of talent.

My worst nightmare has occured. I lost my artistic talent. well maybe not my talent but def. my inspiration. As much as I love art, i just don't feel reletive to it anymore. I want to persue art, but I just can't do it anymore. Any advice to get my inspiration back?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Without more to go on:
    Concentrate on the 'what' rather than the 'how'.

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

I think you need to sit down and think long and hard about if you really want to pursue art as a career.
    Doing art as a career will require much much more than 'inspiration'.
    When you need to be cranking out works, you'll be running on inspiration probably 5% of the time, the rest is up to skill, determination and a real love of the craft.

I'm in my 2/3 year of an animation diploma and I've been stupefied by the amount students who have left. It costs seven and half grand a year, that's nothing to sneeze at.
    Why did they leave? Because they all thought they liked drawing, but sadly, $7,500 or even $15,000 dollars later, they realized that they actually don't.

EDIT: I feel stupid now, because you didn't actually mention 'career'... But if that's the way you're heading then I advise my advice.

You need to forget for a while about anatomy, rendering, perspective and all that technical stuff and focus on subject itself.
    Illustration, concept design and drawing from imagination in general need something more than just interest in art. When I was much younger, I played lots of computer games and as a result all inspiration came from them. Right now I don't do this so I'm trying look for other things and that pushes me forward.
    Get yourself pulled into life and into what others have created. There are movies, books, comics, photo albums, artbooks, games. You can look into history, architecture, industrial design, paleontology, astrology, astronomy, psychology, poetry, cultures, geography, religion, biology, sports, technology and many, many other things.... It's also inspiration from life and it's all awaiting for you to get discovered .

98% of art is implementation, not inspiration. Can you draw an egg or a box or your own self-portrait and have fun while doing it? Chances are it's not a lack of inspiration that's hindering you, but a lack of technical ability that's preventing you from expressing your inspiration. In other words, practice doing the “boring” academic stuff to build up your artistic chops so that later, when inspiration comes along, you’ll be prepared for it.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

My worst nightmare has occured. I lost my artistic talent
    I'm no big expert when it comes art, but, what I do know is....

If I'm really scared I'm going to fall off of something, I'll proabley fall, not because I failed, but because just falling, and getting it over with is better than sticking with it, rideing it out, and scariest of all...Real Failure...

(Just keep in mind Real Failure is just giveing up...for good)

-just some thoughts, take them with a clove of garlic, or a grain of salt! whatever you like!

You're being a bit vague. The dichotomy here is:
    I want to persue art, but I just can't do it anymore.
    Why can't you do it anymore? I would first try to examine yourself and your own life (keep or start a journal on your computer or in RL and try to write how you're feeling and what problems you're having, writing things often helps you problem solve and analyze better). It's hard for others to help when you are so ambiguous with your few sentences though.

SSG 37

ok I'll go deeper. What I am trying to say is, Late last year, I drwe every day and it looked good to me and those around me. as the year progressed, I noticed a decrease in the quality of my art. when it hit it's all time low, I didn't know whether or not I wanted to continue the persue of art. I chose to continue, but sometimes I feel like it's in vain, and I don't do things in vain (hence the I just can't part). Since then, I don't feel inspired to draw anymoe. I used to wake up and want to draw. Now when I do it, I sometimes feel forced, and it's less enjoyable. I need advice on How to get back into the art world. I still have skill, I just forgot what it felt like to WANT to draw.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...kage_tagge.jpg

I wasn't looking at a pic when I did this...

The quality of what you do and the desire to do it are often caught up together. It works both ways as well - If things are not coming out too well then the desire to do it diminishes and visa-versa. This will never go away and is something we all live with. You can have exhibitions representing years of work and not sell too much i.e. nobody wants what you are spending your life doing. Even if you are very successful there comes a time when things are less successful or you have been encouraged to work to a formula, all the praise in the world is only so much noise covering the truth of what you know in your heart.
    And there is the key. Don't betray what you most love. Paint what you love. Because that is the only thing that will not let you down, even if there are times when you cannot do justice to it - it will always be there for you, because it is the closest thing to you. The world doesn't give a toss about art or artists and you have to learn that early on to find out if this is really what you want to do.

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

Maybe watch those Bobby Chiu video podcasts. They really motivated me.

First one is in the post #14.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78304

Well, I agree with what Chris said. I think most of us feel the same way at times. I personally don't have as much fun as I did (or as I imagine I did, the memory can mislead you), but I am still making the effort to lighten the mood because for me, I know I would be worse off without art. Your perception is important, when you are drawing try to take note of how tense your breathing might be, sometimes it's like your chest is a tightened fist. Relax. Breathe. If you've been wrapped up doing studies, lighten it up and do something you want to do for a change. Maybe draw some funny stick figure comics like I do sometimes, I dunno, just take some time to lighten it up. Stop obsessing about results for a day and ask yourself at the end of that day if it was still fun.

Also, I would drop the mindset that you 'don't do things in vain'. Nobody likes to do things in vain of course, but you could psyche yourself out of anything with that mindset. That sounds like fear. You're afraid to invest your time and effort into something and come up with nothing. In the end, you've got to figure out if this is the road you want to take.

We all lose inspiration sometimes, I have many times. How far you go with this is in proportion to how much willpower you have.

SSG 37

Quote Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
    98% of art is implementation, not inspiration. Can you draw an egg or a box or your own self-portrait and have fun while doing it? Chances are it's not a lack of inspiration that's hindering you, but a lack of technical ability that's preventing you from expressing your inspiration. In other words, practice doing the “boring” academic stuff to build up your artistic chops so that later, when inspiration comes along, you’ll be prepared for it.
    Quoted for truth.

Art is hard; you really have to work at it if you want to improve. If you're not putting in work, you won't see results. And by work, I really mean 'work' - it has to be difficult and challenging or you're not improving. If you're finding it easy then your just treading water - that doesn't mean it can't be fun, but you really have to earn it. So forget about this 'I don't feel inspired to draw' nonsense - especially since you clearly want to continue pursuing art - if people only did things when they were 'inspired', nothing would ever get done. I think this myth of 'talent' and 'inspiration' destroys people's motivation because they believe it should either come easy or not at all. Do yourself a favour - rather than look for inspiration, change your attitude. Otherwise any inspiration you find will just be temporary and you'll be constantly searching for more reasons to go on. The best way to pursue any endevour like Art is to build up the internal strength so you don't need to sit around on a mountain waiting for a roast duck to fly into your mouth.

thank you guys. I'll take in all of your advice and work at it. I'm sure this is what I want to do, but lately I've been focusing on my other talents as well. I don't multi-task too well. =/. but thank you anyways!!

~Tai

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...kage_tagge.jpg

I wasn't looking at a pic when I did this...

About this whole "doing it in vain" part of the discussion.

http://www.robolus.com/h.dunn-eveningclassroom.pdf

this really helped me.

I had the same problem when I first started takeing art seriousley, and decited to invest my time into it.

16. I get this from time to time. Its just normal. Just take a break. If you really love art, you'll find your way back to it.

Diana Levin Illustration
    A Whimsical Fantasy
    Portfolio: www.dianalevinart.com

What I do to get inspiration is to do weird things...Thing I never done before. Look around you, there is always something to inspire you.

When you run out of inspiration, draw from life, things you don't need to ''think'' about. Your subject is just there, look at it

What I do to get inspiration is to do weird things...Thing I never done before. Look around you, there is always something to inspire you.

When you run out of inspiration, draw from life, things you don't need to ''think'' about. Your subject is just there, look at it
    A handfull of old printer paper, some pastels, and a dozen or so old, crustey, globbey paint pots, is enoughf to let me scribble around on a piece of paper untill I get loose enoughf to ease off the deathgrip on my pencil.

Kinda like when I play the paino...well, its eletric, but yea I mess around with all the synths untill I just get bored with it, and then go back to the "grand paino" Clears my head of junk, and lets me move on with what I'm inspired with.

So long!

i felt this way myself for a long time. i was happy with what i drew, but the more i looked at the great artists and artwork out there i got discouraged. everything i created seemed to be sub par, and i remember getting really frustrated because i couldnt get down ideas in my head on paper. what you have to realize is that all artists go through this, the ones that excel at art are the ones that keep going and kept pushing there skill and love for what they do. when i realized this i felt better, and now im drawing every day as much as i can. now although i dont claim to be an expert heres some tips ive picked up i think might help you

1)draw from life-doing this will increase your ability to see, improve hand eye cordination, build a visual library, improve your technical ability, and help you to better understand how the world around you works

2)never give up-everyone feels like crap about there art from time to time, what you have to do is try your best at everything and fix the mistakes you see in your art.

3)look at old work-keep all your work dated so that from time to time you can look back and see the progress youve made.

if i forgot something ill edit this post but i do highly recomend you read the lectures in this link, especially lecture 1.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/for...c&daysprune=-1

i wish you luck.

i go in and out of these little tangets now and then where i am far from motivated to draw, the thing is sometimes you need to step back and take a break and ask yourself what was it that inspired me before and what can i do to make it enjoyable or get back into it. realise the triggers that make you feel unmotivated and the ones that do motivate you.
    personaly the things i look for when im out of it is:
    1)am i over analyzing my drawing?
    2)am i doing too many studies and not taking the time to throw out the rules and just have fun with it?
    3)am i comparing my work to someone elses or what i would like it to be?
    (realise perfection isnt a constant state its an ever changing state of growth, no artist started out nearly as good as they are now)
    4) how does this compare to my past work?
    (look back at something old you did, not just a few weeks or a month ago but a while back, people have a tendency to glorify the past and try to compare it to the present, if you do this your only damning yourself so look back at how horrible you were and seeing your growth will be a motivating experience)
    With what ever you do dont force yourself into doing it, and try to avoid seeing it "as work" or an "obligation". its easy to become busy in life and your hobbies and the things that you enjoy start to suffer because they start to "take up time" and you begin to associate negative connotations to them in regards to the things you have to do through out your day such as work or school.

you dont have to use those specific questions if they dont apply to you than find those that do (questions that motivate and are productive to your ultimate goal) so dont ask your self "why you are not motivated" ask "how can you become motivated". if you ask yourself a question with a negative connotation then you will provide yourself with a negative answer, if you pose to yourself a positive question you will obtain a positive result.

Members who have read this thread: 29