My options(my dilema)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My options(my dilema)

Well I'm currently attending a community college.But I don't want to stay here all 4 years.This is my first real semester and I can tell its not enough. Taking some of the basic classes(art history,Writing,comp lit). I totally messed myself up by taking a year break after high-school and working some shitty minimum wage job. I'm now 20 and feel like I'm getting to old for a 4 year college (I hope not).

I'm pretty sure i wont be able to make it into any of the colleges this year. As I don't have a portfolio and haven't drawn in a year(till recently). I'm currently considering Ringling(that way I'm not so far away from home).

So the plan is to start drawing again. I'm making a sketch thread right after this.

But i was wondering what I should do in terms of college till next year.Should i just do some of the required courses to save myself some money? Or try to get some drawing classes to work on my portfolio?

What should i do to find out what classes i could take at a community college?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're seriously considering transferring to Ringling, I'll first off say that you definitely won't be out of place. There are quite a few non-traditional freshmen/transfer sophomores here this year. A couple of my friends who post on this forum are 25 and just now starting over, so you're not doing too bad at 20.

Second, it sounds like you're doing the right thing. Start drawing again. Keep going to community college, take those basic art courses, and get some basic liberal arts classes out of the way. If you do that, there's a good chance that you can transfer to Ringling as a sophomore. That'll save you some serious time and money.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeom View Post
    Well I'm currently attending a community college.But I don't want to stay here all 4 years.This is my first real semester and I can tell its not enough. Taking some of the basic classes(art history,Writing,comp lit). I totally messed myself up by taking a year break after high-school and working some shitty minimum wage job. I'm now 20 and feel like I'm getting to old for a 4 year college (I hope not).

I'm pretty sure i wont be able to make it into any of the colleges this year. As I don't have a portfolio and haven't drawn in a year(till recently). I'm currently considering Ringling(that way I'm not so far away from home).

So the plan is to start drawing again. I'm making a sketch thread right after this.

But i was wondering what I should do in terms of college till next year.Should i just do some of the required courses to save myself some money? Or try to get some drawing classes to work on my portfolio?

What should i do to find out what classes i could take at a community college?

Too old? Pshaw on that! The average age at the school where I teach (CCS in Detroit) is 23. You'd still be a baby there and I'd be willing to bet that'd be true of most major art colleges.

And it's never too late to jump back into the game.

My best suggestion for you would be to keep cranking out some gorgeous art and make that application to Ringling. How you get that art done- whether it's with supervision at the CC or on your own is up to you. But do keep doing it; it's your one salvation to getting back into the game. If you want to find out what classes are transferrable from your current community college, ask the Registrar at Ringling and they should be able to provide you with a list or at least advise you.

If it's truly in your blood to get back to drawing and go to a legit art college, then do it! While you might've made some iffy mistakes in the past (by your account)- it really doesn't matter. What matters truly is where you plan on ending up.

Good luck with it all!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Storyboard Dave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're not too old, and you haven't messed up your life. In fact, by delaying, you may go into college with much more adult intent and dedication, which will help you fantastically.

In the mean time, whether or not you take community college classes, check out the Concept Art 101 link in my sig. You can use those assignments to get yourself prepared.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
    You're not too old, and you haven't messed up your life. In fact, by delaying, you may go into college with much more adult intent and dedication, which will help you fantastically.

In the mean time, whether or not you take community college classes, check out the Concept Art 101 link in my sig. You can use those assignments to get yourself prepared.

As an instructor, I love having "non-traditional students" (the fancy term for an older student such as yourself) in my classes. You've already gotten some life experiences under your belt. You've already sewn some wild oats. You know the reality of the real world out there. Don't look at your age as being a detriment and instead look at the experience you've got over some of these baby-faced, fresh out-of-high school kids. It'll serve you in the long run.

And please do listen to Seedling- she's got some wonderful advice in her sig line there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Must say I feel a bit more confident now. I'm going to start drawing a lot more. Now that I don't have a job I have a ton of free time.So 4-6 hours a day shouldn't be a issue.

Sketchbook
    Looking for mentor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeom View Post
    Must say I feel a bit more confident now. I'm going to start drawing a lot more. Now that I don't have a job I have a ton of free time.So 4-6 hours a day shouldn't be a issue.
    Consider this the first whip crack over you head to get some work done then!

Go and crank out some gorgeous pieces, get into school, bust ass, get employed and live out your dream happily ever after. Simple?

But seriously, it's never too late to follow your dream. Again, good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah def not too old, im 21 now and am applying for art schools (few years off to cure my laziness lol)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.