Thanks

Wax pattern/ steel casting

Ok. This is my first, but not my last time posting in the sculpture forum. I dont have a digital camera as of right now, but I hope to change this within the next couple of days... Right now I'm just using my phone camera, which will not do at all.

I have here a wax pattern I will soon cast and then pour with stainless steel. Its not completely done yet, so hopefully when I find a camera, you will be able to see more of the details...

But I would like a critique even though the image quality completely blows. what its about: I wanted to make a sort of robotic/mechanical infant skeleton. This is supposed to represent how I feel about the use of lives in war; because life is lost so much, to the point they are running out of soldiers, the military begins to make their own soldiers. What I want to do is mount the finished casting inside a jar and add wires and tubes from the piece to the lid of the jar. Then possibly build a light box to sit the jar on.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Wax pattern/ steel casting

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    From what I can tell it looks pretty cool. You wont be able to cast in stainless though. As far as I know that's a heavy duty process that requires gigantic machines and multi-thousand dollar metal molds. You could do pewter though.
    "Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

Thanks
    That baby is going to be a bit of a bitch to cast, but it will look very sweet if you can do it.

I don't know about casting in stainless steel, but I have cast in iron, bronze, and aluminum. Getting that fine detail in iron can be pretty difficult depending on your set up. Bronze or aluminum you could definitely get it done, though.

You're going to need a LOT of air bubble vents, but I assume since none of those are done yet, you have yet to do so and know what you're doing for those. Be careful about that ribcage, though, it seems like a big potential trap.

I really like the figure overall! My only worry is that his hands might be a little too close to his pelvis, at least for a blobby fetus body. And the The feet are really sweet. The femur seems a tiiiny bit underdeveloped, as if you just took one of those wax tubes and didn't change it that much. I'd either add a little more mass to make it look more like a bone, or further emphasis it's mechanical nature so it's obvious the very round pipe look is on purpose.

Cool project, make sure to post it when you're done too!

Thanks
    Actually it's all in who you know. There is an airplane factory near me that a friend works at, he lets me do steel casting with the machines that he works on for the cost of the steel, usually about 50 bucks. It's a fast noisy process but it will vacuum every detail in, down to eyelashes.

Thanks
    hm, cool, a bit hard to imagine what the final casts will look like; can`t wait to see them:-)

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments guys.

I go to school in atlanta where we have a machine specifically for stainless steel in our foundry. We also have one for bronze, but I decided I didnt want that for the final material.

As for my success in pouring it in stainless, its up in the air. We just need to get the steel a few hundred degrees hotter than needed to get it into all the little spaces. I vented the crap out of it, especially in the ribcage, and areas where flow would be limited.

I hope it pours okay, but I wouldnt be that against vacant vents after the fact. An incomplete, partial casting might add to my desired effect for the piece, so I am optimistic. If it pours alright, Im going to polish off the top layers and leave the blackened raw steel in the crevasses.

Again, thanks for the comments! I have the mold sitting in front of the furnace right now ready to heat and pour tomorrow afternoon. If I crack it open tomorrow, I'll take some flicks and post the unrefined form before I do any sanding.

Cheers, Doctor Robotnik

Thanks
    very cool piece, it will be nice to see how this pans out

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Robotnik View Post
    Again, thanks for the comments! I have the mold sitting in front of the furnace right now ready to heat and pour tomorrow afternoon. If I crack it open tomorrow, I'll take some flicks and post the unrefined form before I do any sanding.
    I'd love to see that! Heck, I'd love to see the steel casting room too, but I know that would be asking for a bit much.