Thanks

Question for Everyone

Hello All,
    First things first - I'm new here, and I have a question for everyone and all artist here. I have sculptures, artwork, etc that I'd love to share on the site for feedback and just to see my stuff see daylight in the world, but I'm a little hesitant due to plagarism, copyrights, etc.

Is anyone else fearful of somebody "stealing" your original ideas in these threads and forums? It scares the hell outta me to think that I've worked on something for weeks to months, to have someone see it and steal your thoughts and make a mask or resin-kit out of it and sell it somewhere. (It has happened to me in the film industry once).

..What precautions are there, and is there a way to protect your work on this site and still show pictures safely?

Raker

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raker View Post
    Is anyone else fearful of somebody "stealing" your original ideas in these threads and forums? It scares the hell outta me to think that I've worked on something for weeks to months, to have someone see it and steal your thoughts and make a mask or resin-kit out of it and sell it somewhere. (It has happened to me in the film industry once).
    Hey, it's always a possibility. For the most part, people are here to exchange information and help each other, and I doubt most of us are too worried about "ideas" being stolen. Ideas are easy, at least compared to the the execution, which is hard and takes a lot of time to master.

So, if you post something that's cool and novel and people like it, is there a chance somebody is going to be inspired by it and sculpt something similar? Sure. Is there a chance that somebody could try to copy it rote and pass it off as their own idea? Yeah. Not a huge chance, there is definitely a chance. There's no way to totally eliminate the possibility other than not showing your work to anybody. The other side is that if you don't let people see your work, you also don't get recognition, and that reduces the amount of potential work you can get. Since we're all posting to a public forum, it would become pretty obvious simply by the timestamp on our postings who ripped off whom. I think we're generally pretty self-policing. If someone saw someone else being ripped off, they would likely bring it up in the forums and the community would expect an explanation for the unethical behavior.

But copying is a pretty widely recognized way to learn in sculpture. I mean, look at how many copies of the Laocoön there are floating around. If it weren't for copying, we wouldn't know the works of Polycleitus, Phidias, Myron, or Kresilas. Copying for learning has a long tradition, it's only when people try to profit from copying or fail to give credit to their source where I personally have a problem with it.

Thanks
    Jlamarche,

Thanks for the reply. You make sense and I agree with the reply. I'm glad I found this site, the artist in here are very good. I'm going to wait a while, and get comfortable with this site, because i'm a newbie (before i post some stuff).

Hope I'm not hurting anything
    -Raker