how's it going?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: how's it going?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

how's it going?

This would be my first multi-character picture. It's not done yet but I'm just trying to see if it 'makes sense' to the eye and whatnot. Thanks for any input.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Aardvarkphil is offline Stepping into the darkness and finding the next step isn't there
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking pretty good but I notice the high lights on the back of both legs. Which would suggest that there is light coming from both sides. But there is no high light on the front of the legs. there are some other high lights over the clothing and hair that seem to have various light sources. So the lighting seems a little confused. I look forward to seeing more of your work. Cheers Phil

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, that's one of the many things I still have to master in my work. I thought about doing both front and back but wanted to avoid the shrink wrap look. I'll put some highlight on the front too and see if it works, thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The girl on our left has a few mistakes-

Her far leg is too thick- there sould be space or a line there. Her hair seems flat... but I'll be honest, I LOVE flat blacks, especially in hair. But it seems out of place, here, since the other girl's hair is so deliciously detailed.

Other than that- I like the style, and I really can't compare. Good show!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I'll admit flat black hair is a bit lazy in some cases (this one included) but coloring hair is still hard for me, and I have no idea how to show convincing light on that type of hair. And I'll try to fix that leg too, thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The one major thing that I think of when I look at this is - where is the other leg of the girl on the right? TO hold that pose she would either need to have it pointing behind her to balance her or if it is being held steady between the girl on the lefts legs then surely you'd be able to see it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverwing View Post
    The one major thing that I think of when I look at this is - where is the other leg of the girl on the right? TO hold that pose she would either need to have it pointing behind her to balance her or if it is being held steady between the girl on the lefts legs then surely you'd be able to see it?
    Well she's holding on to the other girl for some support at least, but that would seem like alot of weight for the other girl, eh? Maybe it'll look better to see at least some of her right leg anyhow, I'll see how it looks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! I like it! I did a quick paintover to illustrate some points:

- The girl on the left has no left shoulder, and her neck doesn't end anywhere. She needs to have a torso, neck muscles etc.
    - The part between the girls heads is very messy. Too much stuff going on there; a medallion, boobs, an arm and two faces overlapping with no space inbetween. Give the objects some space so that they read clearer.
    - There are a lot of highlights with unclear and confusing lightsources. And some highlights doesn't follow the shape of the bofy, like on the left girl's torso. Adding a highlight in the wrong place actually flattens out the form instead of giving it volume.
    - A highlight screams for attention, adding too many will make all the picture scream for attention leaving the viewer confused and unsure about what to look at. You have to lead the viewer in, to show what it is you WANT them to see. I found the most interesting part of the pic to be where the girl's heads are, boobs meet and the medallion, so I added some highlights on the breast and toned down the rest a bit.
    - The legs are a bit off. Try drawing the whole body when you do the initial sketch, even the parts that don't show in the final painting. That way you can make sure you get the directions and volumes right.
    - The pose of the extended arm and hand to the left could be more curved outwards, would read better with the rest of her pose.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Whyatt Thrash; October 17th, 2007 at 12:19 PM.
    - Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man you beat the hell out of it, lol. I'll have to digest alot of this when I have more time, but I agree that the medallion area is busy. Your suggested angle of the medallion arm is logical, but I tried it during the rough-lines stage early on and could not get it to work for this angle. Your leg idea is pretty logical too. Yes the neck needs some attention too. I was trying to make it look like she was shrugging it somewhat but forgot to pay much attention communicating where the neck would be in such a pose. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope you mean that in a good way...

Would be nice to see where this is going, repost in this thread if you do some more work on it.

Good luck!

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.