Art: Go Boy 7 inks
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Go Boy 7 inks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Go Boy 7 inks

As some of you know, I'm working on a tutorial for Sketch Magazine. The actual tutorial that will print will be focused on some part of the digital coloring process. But, I wanted to create a tutorial showing the entire process from beginning to end of how I (atleast the way I'm doing it this time) go about digitally inking and coloring. This entire process will be featured on my site when I get it done, but I've already finished inking the piece I plan to use, so here it is for you all to see. I'm considering the inks finished, but I still love to hear your opinions, good or bad.

Finished Inks:

Original Pencils (by: Jon Sommariva):

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Eraserx

Both pieces are cool. I like the style you have and the inking is immaculate.

The only crit I have is his torso, maybe more muscle? Or light detail to show a mild six pack. At the mo, his torso looks quite feminine

- why don't you try changing him to a her?

Molly xx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, EraserX. Try to keep the angularity of the pencil lines- for instance- on the edges of the cuff of the foremost hand you've softened them up with sinuous curves- sam on the torso. That imparts a feminine feel, and relaxes the figure. Those subtle, crunchy little segments give a lot of energy to the illo- maintain that. You've got to pay better attention to faces- your work on the eyes looses the weight given by the penciller, and that effectively "calms" the character down. You lost details on that raised fist- why? It's flattened out. You could amp up the linework around that fist to pop it forward more- the penciller 's lines are a bit thin here.

Add abs? No way! he's a frikkin' kid! Molly, that kind of thing's up to the penciller. If this was a layout or a loose drawing the inker would be expected to finish the art, but this is obviously a finished drawing, and EraserX's job is the ink it. Cleanly tracing the art in black and correcting lineweight is what's called for. It ain't necessarily glamorous....

One bit of opinion form me: I'd have left the circle element open for color. I appreciate the white outline you've used to preserve volume-imparting lineweight, but it all gets kind of cluttered in these small spaces. Then again, spotting blacks is another key element to good inking....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys.

chukw: Thanks for the crits man. I appreciate it. I don't get to ink very often so it feels new almost every time. I'm actually a colorist, so a lot of the things I do when inking are because I'm thinking about coloring. For example, I filled in the black area the way I did in anticipation of holding it as a color later on. Anyway, good crits, though.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.