Some first attempts need help

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Some first attempts need help

Here are a couple of my first drawings/sketches. The first is my first actual sketch at trying to draw people. I've made a few changes since this picture, but I'm hoping to get some helpful feedback nonetheless. I know that there's some quite apparent things that I need to change....such as her profile. Her chin is out too far for one and her profile overall is off. I've worked on that some. I have also re-worked the tattoo going down her back and evened out the spacing/etc.

The second is a horse I attempted, though he looks quite cartoony. Any constructive criticism/help for either is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance! (And I know I should be drawing from real life as opposed to from a picture (as I did for the 2nd pic- wich was actually drawn before the other, but I wanted to try my people skills before I attempted doing something of an actual person.)

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Nukeya; October 15th, 2007 at 07:33 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad. The horse has a better haircut!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right off the bat you should check your values. Here answer these questions and you'll know what I mean...

What is darker?
    The bridge of the nose or the background?
    The top lip or the bottom?
    The cheek or the nose?

You don't always need liens to seperate these things. Try taking away the line that makes up the mose and just use the darkness of her skin a bit more. If you look at reality. Nothing is completely enclosed in line.

I see,
    Nose is darker
    Top lip
    Cheek

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Judging by the first pic, you have a good initial grasp on observation; You can spot dark darks from light lights. Continue to draw from life and this will get immensely and exponentially stronger. The horse appears to have a flash-bulb being aimed at it- and I realize the gloss of a horse's pelt, but here it does look a bit more like a flash photo than a drawing from life. Perhaps go draw the horse again, draw the basic gesture, then block in only shadows. This will challenge you to look harder at light sources and see how the form and light interact with one another. It's a strong start, now make a sketchbook in the sketchbook section and keep it going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The horse looks cartoon-like, which may not be intentional. The eye is the most cartoonish feature.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the wonderful feedback! I'm taking my first drawing class since the required art classes in junior high, so I admit, I'm still quite a novice. I appreciate those of you who have taken the time to give me your thoughts and advice on improvement. I made several changes on the Victoria picture and worked some more on her profile, moving her chin back and lowering the tip of her nose a bit and she looked a great deal better. I also lightened the lines which separate the edge of her face from the background and lightened up the background so that she didn't blend in with it quite so much. As I was working on it in class today (drawing lab), my teacher took it and asked that I allow him to submit it for consideration for an art show at one of the other local colleges here in the area, so I guess I will have to wait until I get that back to be able to show you the changes I made.

As for the horse picture, as dashinvaine said, it looks cartoonish and that's one of my beefs with that drawing. I think that with more practice and experience, I can improve with time. Again, thanks everyone for your feedback and help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff!

As regards the portrait - you have done well, but I think you should pay more attention to direction and the angles between features to make it look more believable, e.g., the lips and chin in your drawing are too much forward, in your ref they have more of an angle. Also be careful checking the proportions, you have made her bottom part of the face too long. And as Rabid Peanut suggested try to use shades instead of lines.

As regards the horse - good start! I would suggest though that you find a shitload of refs of horses in different positions and try working out how the horse works, do a lot of them! try doing just the structure, or just the forms, it will help you lots!

Keep drawing, cheers!

SKETCHBOOK

Sinister Six Sketch Group
    Since 2003, sorta.
    Cookiedough Fooxoo Hyver Wolfje character

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.