i really need some help/tips/comments/advise...

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink i really need some help/tips/comments/advise...

alright i have a bit of a problem.(at least i think so anyway). i grew up loving to draw and examining other people's artwork. mostly pencil drawings and finished colored drawings. heres the issue... i am now 18 years old and i still love to draw. i am enrolled in BROWN INSTITUTE next october so i have a year until school starts. im studing game art & design. the MAIN reason im studing that is because i've always loved the concept design of the games and it's my DREAM to be a concept artist. now im realising that i need to start drawing alot more that i've been doing because i 've been setting it off alot. i have a sketchbook and it's only about 1/4 full... now as far as my skills go... i am really,really,really good at drawing from reference, but i need to develop creative drawings. i have a ton of ideas, i just can't seem to draw the human bodies right and i get frustrated. my main focus is warfare (samuari, archers, chariots, swordsman) and fictional creatures (minotaurs, cyclops, leviathon). i am now devoting atleast 2-3 hours of my day drawing. unfortunatly i dont have a scanner (yet) so i can't post my work. any advise on where to start? or to even get better at drawing the human body? any advise helps... thanx

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sounds like you just need to study anatomy...as in get some books (I like loomis, but there are plenty of others out there) and learn actual muscles, where they are, and the right proportions-if you draw them enough you'll learn where they are and you'll be able to pick them out of your head easier(there are also a bunch of guidelines in Loomis' stuff that can help you with your process). Don't be afraid to use reference at this point-anatomy knowlege doesn't just pop into your head, all reference drawing will help re-enforce your anatomy study, but when you are working from reference try to pay attention to where things are and why-rather than just mindlessly copying. Also, if you can, life drawing classes would help a lot-most art schools have them so just pop to your local school and ask about them. Good luck, I'm sure you'll have a blast on the course when it comes

-D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man thanks for your help it really does help alot. im still taking advise though. drawing from reference is really easy but it doesn't seem to help.. i'll take your advise and think of why im drawing the stuff where it is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's one way to jump from reliance on reference to using that reference to develop an inner source: draw something that you find fairly easy to draw using a reference. Now draw it again with no reference. Those bits that are tough to draw are the bits you need to better observe and internalize. Do this for all the things you find trouble drawing. When it comes to bodies in the right pose, stand up and act out the pose, taking note of where the various body parts lay in reference to each other and the surroundings.

This will work with all kinds of things, by the way: time durations, measurements... lots of things.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.