Sketchbook: A beginner's sketchbook

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A beginner's sketchbook

I joined this site back in April, and it has been a good kick in the pants for my artwork. I think I have already improved a lot since I started here, but there is still a long way for me to go. I few days ago I bought a new sketchbook, and it seemed a good time to start a newer, more focused one on this site.

I really need to improve my anatomy, for right now that is my main focus. I work mostly from anatomy books and photo ref (I know that this isn't as good as life drawing, but I can't afford a class and I don't have time during the day).

I'm looking to improve as much as I can. Feel free to give me all the comments and critiques you want, just try to be as specific as you can.

None of these drawings took more than ten minutes, they were just some exercises to help get me going.

Hopefully I'll be able to post some more by the end of the week.

Attached Images Attached Images                        
    Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendigo View Post
    I really need to improve my anatomy, for right now that is my main focus. I work mostly from anatomy books and photo ref (I know that this isn't as good as life drawing, but I can't afford a class and I don't have time during the day).
    You posted on the CCS thread awhile back and it's good to see you drawing here, but as with your Angel project thread- I think the people there critiquing your stuff there had some really valid points for you to draw from real life.

It's not about taking a formal life drawing class at times. What about just drawing people you see on Woodward Avenue? People walking up Cass? The folks in line at Subway for lunch?

As busy as my students are in class and work, they still manage to doodle & sketch in their sketchbooks. And most of their sketches are less than ten minutes too.

I can't implore how important drawing from life is. It makes all the difference in the world in trying to make something look right because right now, all you're doing is copying something that is lifeless. Drawing reality is an attempt to capture life in that split second, trying to convey a story- the drawings here don't capture that essence yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey ... nice stuff

i really like ur hand and finger proportions but im just curious r u able to do them on a much smaller scale. just asking coz i can do them big also but trying to do it on a character at a much smaller size i have a lil bit of trouble.

but good job ..

i actually did life drawing not so long ago and its good experience... and theres always time to do somethign like that
    it actually showed me where my weak and strong points r.
    and i think ud learn alot through it
    well keep up the work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah man, do some life drawing. I have the same problem as you do about life drawing classes. well there aren't any offered around here and I don't have the time or money. What I have been doing is just drawing stuff around home or where ever when I get the chance. Your studies look great keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks for the replies

Storyboard Dave- Tell me if I am being stupid. For the reasons I already stated, life drawing simply is not practical for me right now. What I'm trying to do now is simply improve my ability to draw stuff from reference before I try and draw something that moves around.
    I don't think I'll actually have time to do any real life drawing until summer, but I'll try and fit some in sooner.

gkrit- I actually do have trouble drawing hands on smaller scales, but I can usually force them to look fairly good with enough time and effort.

Anurizm- Like I said to Dave, I do intend to start doing some life drawing in the near future. I'm going to keep practicing with photoref until I have the skill and time to draw from life.

I meant to post some new stuff last week, but I was too busy sudying for a physics exam. These drawings are all I managed to do since my last post, they are just some head studies, the first couple didn't turn out all that good, but I think the last three turned out pretty good.

Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wendigo, you're starting to get there. if you can't do life drawing, try photo refs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendigo View Post
    Storyboard Dave- Tell me if I am being stupid. For the reasons I already stated, life drawing simply is not practical for me right now. What I'm trying to do now is simply improve my ability to draw stuff from reference before I try and draw something that moves around.
    I don't think I'll actually have time to do any real life drawing until summer, but I'll try and fit some in sooner.
    I'm not sure you understand exactly what I mean when I say "life drawing". I'm wondering if your interpretation of life drawing means something as formal as having a model stand around motionless for moments on end. It isn't! I'm not so sure what you're alluding to by the impracticality of drawing from life now. I'm suggesting something as simple as taking a small sketchbook (like a tiny Moleskine sketchbook) and just scribbling down people as they walk around you, as they sit in front you... SKETCH THEM! Whether it's pencil, a ball point or a Sharpie marker- just quickly try to capture their movement. Quit trying to do finished art in a sketchbook. Loosen up!

I look at your drawings here and they look so stiff, like you're trying to get them to be perfect. And yet you still miss some very obvious things like the proportion of the head to the figure, the size of the lower lip in comparison to the upper lip, how a smile forms on a face, etc.

My best suggestions would be for you to just scribble in getting a quick gesture down. Understand how you can capture the moment of how the human machine moves, reacts to gravity, its balance, etc.. It really takes very little time to sketch- and I'm willing to bet you it takes less time to sketch than it does to do these drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i can tell u, while u start sketching real fast, u dont wanna do something else for a long time
    it really rocks when u start to be able to capture a gesture fast

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ajvenema View Post
    i can tell u, while u start sketching real fast, u dont wanna do something else for a long time
    it really rocks when u start to be able to capture a gesture fast
    Amen! THAT's what I'm talking about when I mention sketching in a sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, I brought my sketchbook with me to school yesterday and tried to sketch some people walking around between classes (when I probably should have been studying for my Calc 3 exam)

The first page I did at home to practice drawing small figures really fast (I just used naked people I found on the internet for ref.)

The second and third pages are the actual life drawing. I've never tried anything like this before and it really shows. Hopefully I'll be able to do some more of this stuff tomorrow and post it this weekend.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I figured that I might as well post this to, it is my latest entry into the Character of the week competition, it actually got four votes!!
    I'm not planning on doing any more work on this, but feel free to let me know what you think of it.
    Name:  CHOW#93_Wendigo CBP.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  149.8 KB

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

still at it

Normally I would bring my sketchbook to school and do life drawing between classes, but with the semester coming to a close I have been way too busy to take the time to draw between classes.

What we have here are a few pages done from photo ref. Hopefully there is some improvement.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bone Doctor House Call.

Thought is was time I returned the favor.
    Glad to see you are attacking the human form head on.
    Working with the figure lays the foundation for
    everything else you do in art.

Try working looser and feeling the motion more.
    In dealing with the figure function creates form so
    think about what the figure is doing an think about
    how the forms need to relate to do it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mentler-Thanks, I'll keep your advice in mind in the future. And I must say it is good to see that some doctors still make house calls

This is the latest batch of crap I've been working on, because of my hectic work and school schedule I still haven't been able to much life drawing.

I did land a co-op at a local engineering firm so I will have a lot more time and money next semester. That coupled with the fact that the Detroit Institute of the Arts has finally fully reopened will mean that I will have some time to draw and a place to find some inspiration.

I'm not happy with this stuff at all, but I think I'm showing a little improvement. As always, any C&C will be greatly appreciated.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Is there any improvement at all?

Here is my last update of 2007. I wasn't able to be as productive as I had hoped.

Now I seem to be running into a bit of artist's block...

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have the right drive going on, but from what I can tell you are going through what I was with mine they look flat and lack form. this is my own personal suggestion I would step away from learning anatomy for a while and focus on drawing objects from life in different views. Pay attention to the forms and work on perspective. I hope this doesn't sound to harsh, but it's going to better prepare you for anatomy. When you do the life drawings you will seriously notice great improvment each time. Draw what you see, don't let your left side of your brain make you put down symbols of what you think it is because it will be wrong, observe deeply before you lay down that stroke.

there are 7 principles of a good artist
    1: concentration
    2: Study
    3: Diligence
    4: Observation
    5: Patience
    6: Integrity
    7: Willingness to work

Wishing won't make it happen!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

One more naked chick and then some life drawing

Anurizm-thanks, I'll make sure to keep your advice in mind.

I honestly don't know why I've been so damn dense about life drawing, maybe because I was so busy with college...I don't know.

No more excuses!! I have a co-op this semester and I finally have enough spare time to go around and do some actual life drawing. I'm just starting with some stuff that was sitting on my desk, including a manequin I bought several years ago but lost, turns out it was in my filing cabinet. I'll probably be using it a lot.

No more talk, lets get to the drawings!

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good, keep doing those and work on your line. You will get a lot of mileage out of life drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anurizm-thanks, I'm going to keep up the life drawing, and I really need to get my lines better.

This is a little more life drawing from the maniquen and a little more stuff from photo ref.

I'm not sure what is wrong with the attachments, if you know how to fix them please IM ME!
    edit-nevermind I got it

Name:  scan0007.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  33.4 KBName:  scan0008.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  29.2 KB
    Name:  scan0009.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  28.5 KBName:  scan0010.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  29.5 KB
    Name:  scan0011.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  26.0 KBName:  scan0012.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  31.3 KB
    Name:  scan0013.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  30.3 KBName:  scan0014.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  24.3 KB

Last edited by wiggum; January 19th, 2008 at 08:17 PM.
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is just a little more of my stuff. It has a little bit of life drawing, but most of it is photo ref. Most of it is crap, but I think the last few look pretty good.

As always, C&C are always welcome.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some more

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is some more
    Name:  scan0001.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  20.6 KBName:  scan0002.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  22.5 KB
    Name:  scan0003.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  26.1 KBName:  scan0004.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  26.8 KB
    Name:  scan0005.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  45.2 KBName:  scan0006.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  24.3 KB
    Name:  scan0007.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  39.6 KBName:  scan0008.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  28.6 KB
    Name:  scan0009.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  42.3 KBName:  scan0010.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  30.4 KB
    Name:  scan0011.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  26.5 KB
    Name:  scan0012.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  43.6 KB
    Name:  scan0013.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  26.0 KB
    Name:  scan0014.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  28.8 KBName:  scan0015.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  26.0 KB

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is some more

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it has been about six months and I have finally filled up the sketchbook I bought back in October to practice my anatomy/life drawing.

While I didn't get nearly as many responses as I hoped I would, I still think I am better for it.

I'm going to keep this up, but right now I'm going to go back and do some more imaginative stuff.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm seeing some good improvements, it's been a while. I recommend checking CCS if there are any open figure drawing sessions available. figures still need work, but your doing good stuff with the anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good going here so far. It's nice to see people who head in the right direction right off the bat.

One thing that I see here right off the bat is line quality. Try to get control of your line weight, and drawing longer, more flowing lines. It's hard, but it will be worth it.

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Members who have read this thread: 1