Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    More face studies. Now with more focus on construction and no values. The nice photo refs are from Mike Larremore.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Less questions. More doing.
    Learn by doing. Learn how to learn without asking a million questions. Learn to trust advice. Learn to go with your gut, to go on your own volition. Go. Do."
    - Kev Ferrara

sketchbook

blog

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey Chronberg, wow so many studies, well done they all look good to me. I am especially impressed with the post #101 glass above the mixer and also I really like the last three in post #103. Really too much for me to comment on but great to look at and the character studies are very fun. I can tell that you are building a vast memory library.

Thanks
    Hey Marian! Thanks for watching. Trying to break away from pure studies and cross over doing a bit of my own stuff.. takes time, not quite there yet, but it'll come I guess :-)

A few more heads.
    Learn by doing. Learn how to learn without asking a million questions. Learn to trust advice. Learn to go with your gut, to go on your own volition. Go. Do."
    - Kev Ferrara

sketchbook

blog

Thanks
    Face construction studies.
    - Kev Ferrara

sketchbook

blog

Thanks
    Nice progress. It's great to see you composing an image as well.

For post 94, since it's digital, you could erase it and redraw the dog in a better pose. I've gone through a painting and then realize I need to redraw some things. I know it slows down the process but fighting through times like that is really important. I think the composition can be improved on as well. I would move the girl away from the edge some more so the flower isn't awkwardly cut off. I would also vary the trees a bit. They look a little too similar. They can still look similar but giving a little variety can help. Also, pushing the lighting on the main figures would make them stand out more.

I would experiment with the body language. She looks upset with the guard dog. Maybe you have were walking ahead of the dog while the dog's body language suggests he is disappointing in himself and is behind her. I don't know. That was just a random idea.

Anyway, keep up the hard work. It's paying off.

Right now

Thanks
    Some more heads and also a few hand studies. Trying to use constructive methods.

Istmin52, thank you for looking and giving constructive critique.

As for the dog/princess image I think I agree with all of your comments. I did however complete the image, not being very satisfied, but having learned some things in the process.

Sometimes I think reworking until it feels as good as possible is the way to go, but I also feel that it can be a good thing to finish off a piece and start another one (especially if it's for practice anyway). I have a bad habit of never finishing stuff.. not being satisfied. I guess it can both be a curse and a blessing, depending on how you look at it.

Anyways, I need to learn and practice the fundamentals (most all of them) quite a bit more to be able to create and also rework stuff with some degree of certainty and speed, which is why I'm mostly doing studies at the moment. After that I hope I'll be able to start expressing my own ideas a bit easier.
    - Kev Ferrara

sketchbook

blog

Thanks
    A few heads.
    - Kev Ferrara

sketchbook

blog

Thanks
    More head/hand construction practice.

Name:  misc_faces_hands.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  205.7 KB
    - Kev Ferrara

sketchbook

blog

Thanks
    A few head studies..
    Name:  mal_face_002b1.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  89.5 KB
    - Kev Ferrara

sketchbook

blog

Thanks
    A few more head studies.

Name:  mal_face_003a.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  274.7 KBName:  mal_face_002c.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  99.1 KB
    - Kev Ferrara

sketchbook

blog

Thanks
    Hello, nice work, I enjoyed a lot your caricatures and cartoon stylized studies.

Best regads

Thanks
    Some more head studies. Still using the excellent photos of photographer Mike Larremore as refs.

Hey pauloricardo! Thanks for your kind words. Yeah, I will probably do some more "finsished" stuff later on again. It's fun.
    - Kev Ferrara

sketchbook

blog

Thanks
    continued..
    Name:  mal_face_005.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  244.0 KB
    - Kev Ferrara

sketchbook

blog

Thanks
    Haven't been here in a while. It's great to see you tackle facial expressions.

Thanks
    Some boxes.. back to basics again.

Hey Istmin52! Yeah, faces are fun. Need loads more of practice though, but I'll keep at it!

Name:  boxes.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  212.2 KB
    - Kev Ferrara

sketchbook

blog

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast