I'm on a mission to improve
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I'm on a mission to improve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm on a mission to improve

I haven't received any helpful critique from any other communities I am a member of, which I find...very frustrating. I really want to improve.

If you like, you can critique the individual images or my art as a whole. I appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thank you. :]

I hope my images aren't too large, eep...

Last edited by GlitterGuts; May 6th, 2010 at 05:59 AM.
    Portfolio
    Never play leap frog with a unicorn.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think studying human anatomy (and animal) is important for you, proportions and anatomy. Maybe it's better to do loads of studies rather than doing finnished pieces at this moment? Perhaps start a sketchbook and try to update it often.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Sarcophagus: you need to try to get some of the basics down before moving on to these large finished pieces. The painting in some areas is nice, in a sort of primitive style, but I'm pretty sure that's not what you're going for.

Additionally, I can't tell what's happening in any of these paintings. Maybe that's just because it's not my thing.

blue's sketchbook
    Someone gave me this custom title and I will never, ever change it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefooted View Post
    The painting in some areas is nice, in a sort of primitive style, but I'm pretty sure that's not what you're going for.
    I don't understand what you mean by primitive style. Could you please elaborate...?

Additionally, I can't tell what's happening in any of these paintings. Maybe that's just because it's not my thing.
    Do you mean that the images are too busy, or that you don't understand what they're about?

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcophagus View Post
    I think studying human anatomy (and animal) is important for you, proportions and anatomy. Maybe it's better to do loads of studies rather than doing finnished pieces at this moment? Perhaps start a sketchbook and try to update it often.
    I already do that, and I draw a lot of anatomy illustrations in my spare time. I understand that I'm not the best at it, of course, so could you tell me where my anatomy is most lacking?

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterGuts View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by primitive style. Could you please elaborate...?
    This is an example of a 'primitive style' painting:

Obviously, that's not what you're going for.

Do you mean that the images are too busy, or that you don't understand what they're about?
    I mean I can't figure out what the characters are doing, where they are, what they are, basically anything that's happening.

I already do that, and I draw a lot of anatomy illustrations in my spare time. I understand that I'm not the best at it, of course, so could you tell me where my anatomy is most lacking?
    All of it is lacking, really. Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear.

blue's sketchbook
    Someone gave me this custom title and I will never, ever change it!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You lack the skills in the fundamentals of illustration to tell such complex stories successfully. What you need to do is spend some time individually on each of the following subjects: perspective, anatomy (both human and animal), color, value, and composition. It is the lack of knowledge in these areas that is making your art primitive. If you would like some help with these things, there is a link in my sig called "Concept Art 101", and another called "Perspective 101", both of which have exercises that could get you pointed in the right direction.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is an example of a 'primitive style' painting:

Obviously, that's not what you're going for.
    I apologize for being a hassle, but I still don't understand what characteristics a primitive style has. I appreciate the example but by looking at it I can't see how it has a likeness to how I draw.

All of it is lacking, really. Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear.
    Haha, no worries. I'm here for critique- It's what I expect to hear.

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
    You lack the skills in the fundamentals of illustration to tell such complex stories successfully. What you need to do is spend some time individually on each of the following subjects: perspective, anatomy (both human and animal), color, value, and composition. It is the lack of knowledge in these areas that is making your art primitive. If you would like some help with these things, there is a link in my sig called "Concept Art 101", and another called "Perspective 101", both of which have exercises that could get you pointed in the right direction.
    Ahh, I see. Thank you for your help and for clearing up what the primitive thing was about. :]

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The posted painting is quite primitive because it's got bright, saturated colors and a very skewed, non traditional perspective (draw the vanishing points on there and tell me what's going on with the angle of that bed! )

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.