The Lonely Soldier (Please help)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Lonely Soldier (Please help)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Lonely Soldier (Please help)

So here is the story as follows:

A soldier kicked open a door tossed a grenade in and ducked out. It exploded. He then ran in and saw that it was a school house.

He now sits on the curb crying at what he has just done.

First off,
    I took out the fore ground such as the blewn up tank etc.
    I just wanted help with the actual figure and the house itself.

I need more detail but I figured I would ask you guys on what I should start with or just scrap the whole concept.

Secondly,
    How do you guys start your concept art? I started with my sketch, did some quick shadow work and then added my color layer.

Thirdly,
    How should I do the background? I added textures, but I don't think it addes to the piece, it makes my drawing look like undetailed poop.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The one thing that I think is better to avoid, is the need to explain the image in words. The image has too speak for itself. Right now, we can see a soldier sitting outside a building. He could be thinking, he could be grieving, he could be taking a smoke. The building itself does not give any suggestion that it's a school, nor that a grenade was used anywhere in its vicinity.

For a scene that would need to convey the soldier's emotions, the shot seems waaaaaaaaay too wide. I think cutting much closer to the soldier so the viewer could see his face would add to the image. He could be staring at a trigger ring in his hands. He could be staring back at a charred and broken school sign with another grenade in his hands... there can be many more possibilities. Try working out some ideas in thumbnails first, while you're not too far along. The thumbnails can be really small, just brainstorming ideas. Then choose the one that conveys the message best and go with it.

After you're more or less settled with the way you want the image to be constructed, start looking up references that can help you develop your idea further. In this case, look at broken buildings, photos from wars or screenshots from war movies. These can help you set the tone, choose the details and so on.

Hope this helps.

The Boulder takes issue with that comment.

Sketchbookedness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA! I'll give you what help I can.

Couple of things. Forget about adding detail right now. Put down your programs for a while because it looks like the piece is lacking in some basics right now. First off, the composition of the piece is weak. There's a lot of empty space around the subjects that seems to downplay the whole mood. Secondly the angle you've chosen doesn't really lend itself to the feeling you're going for. Perhaps a bottom up shot, or maybe something that has his face more in the foreground and the bloody limb in the background might help.

Anatomy-wise, it's really muddled and I can't tell too much about your soldier at the moment, but it looks like one arm is bigger than the other, and the feet might seem a bit small. Though over all, it looks like a decent job. Hopefully somebody more qualified than I will be able to help you out with that.

Story-wise, I'm not exactly buying the scene or events. I would think that there'd be some cues or hints that he was hitting a schoolhouse or at least that there were children present (their voices, whether they be talking loudly, laughing or screaming at each other. These things could probably be heard from behind a door). And... well, I'm not well versed in military procedures, but I would also think that there'd be more soldiers around, working as a team as opposed to sending a single guy into places to clear it out.

I can certainly help you with ideas of how to add detail, but you might want to get some of the foundation down first. As for your questions, drawing thumbnails of what you're going to do is a good practice. Experiment with how you're going to set up a scene with small pictures... find something that you like, then blow up that thumbnail and flesh it out.

Hopefully this helps and wasn't too harsh... keep pushing, I hope I can see you work at this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am well versed in military procedures and I can tell you without a doubt that there would be more soldiers. The smallest number of soldiers we ever had to clear a building was 3 and that was only because it was an extreme situation.

Good advice so far and I don't have anything to add.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA! You seem to be suffering from not enough skills (yet) to support your wonderful ideas. You need a more solid understanding of the fundamentals: perspective, anatomy, composition, etc. If you would like some help with these things, try the link in my sig called "Concept Art 101". Cheers!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright guys
    Thanks for the critique it was very helpful.

I am going to restart the image later on. I am reading through the concept art 101 first. I look at it now and I just cant see what the image is trying to convey you guys are totally right, I need more practice.

Thanks again

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You did do one thing very well in the image that I should have mentioned: the gesture of the soldier. It's a very emotional pose that clearly says something is deeply bothering him.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper34 View Post
    Alright guys
    Thanks for the critique it was very helpful.

I am going to restart the image later on. I am reading through the concept art 101 first. I look at it now and I just cant see what the image is trying to convey you guys are totally right, I need more practice.

Thanks again
    That's a great attitude! I actually want to see how this develops, and aside from all the technical things, I think it could work. Hope to see you churn out something soon. Best of luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.