Sketchbook: Nate's Sketchbook || Filling the art wasteland that is my sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nate's Sketchbook || Filling the art wasteland that is my sketchbook

Hello there CA. This is my sketchbook, I hope to truly improve my art prowess here. I'm ultimately trying to get myself to a level where I can draw industry grade comics with ease. Thanks in advance to all who help me out and/or encourage me. I will take all help and try to apply it in my next studies. Without further ado, my drawings will continue on the next post on.

Just for the sake of the thread picture:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Flakari Leader; October 19th, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to do some figure studies using the simple skeleton structure that is in Andrew Loomis: Figure Drawing for all it's Worth. I used dA stocks along with some figures in his own book.

The first two pages aren't too good when I looked at them again. The final pages were when I think I hit my stride, out of all 13 figures it seems like I improved. =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to the sketch board journey!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dstudio: Thanks a lot! I hope to learn a lot here. =D

Now, I decided to do more skeleton figure studies, only the top left is from reference, I tried to make some from memory. I also studied the muscles in the upper body.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think somethin wrong with neck muscles and deltoid (somethin strange on deltoid) and nice figures. Keep it up.

sujak nx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @throtailer: Thanks for your observations, I got the reference from:http://www.anatomyatlases.org/atlaso...nkarmant.shtml, in-case you can clear things up. About the neck, I went off what I saw on the left side, I probably should've drawn the other side of the neck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update: I now have a ton more time to draw. I quit my engineering college to pursue concept artistry without interference.

I worked on this piece for 8 hours and experimented with coloring digitally. This was made for a panel tag on EnterVOID, this is the sixth panel so don't worry if you're confused. All C&C are appreciated.

I'll start posting daily, I need to get my drawing groove back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    draw from life to put a realism layer on your figures.
    study figure drawing,anatomy,perspective,etc.there is a lot of topics to learn.
    practice,practice and PRACTICE.This the key.
    And i think "How to Draw Comics The Marvel Way" will be helpful beside your studies.
    Keep it up

Need your critique
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update:

Did a self portrait (Needs much work) and did a nude study.

I need to learn how to shade better with a pencil or with anything for that matter.

What would be the best tool to use to grasp shading well?

Last edited by Flakari Leader; December 13th, 2007 at 01:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anything can be quite good to use for shading. for myself, i manage with a pacer, but that only takes a lil longer than it probly should depending on how rich u want ur shading to be. but best, rough and quick shading can be done with a full graphite pencil (after its been worn down a bit is best). but really anythign good .. u just have to spend a little bit of time on ur work to achieve good results. THEN, if u really wanna get a good variation of values (contrast), use diff types of pencils (im no expert in that department, but have known other to do so).
    and...
    for faces -- take it in steps. practise eyes/lips/nose etc on their own. put them together to make a face (practise head structure first). do diff angles with faces (profile, head on, 45 degree angle etc).
    thats pretty much wat i have done, and u build up more confidence in drawing those types of things. anyway this is pretty long so ill stop now and u prob know all this...
    but keep it up. and post more

Check out my SKETCHBOOK ...looking for helpful advice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yoyo! i love it to see people that like me quit their college to do the thing they actually like Thumbs up! i hope u will be in a art college next year, just keep up the hard work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @gkrit: Thanks for you input, I might checkout those pacers you were talking about. I've heard about drawing the parts of the face individually before but for some reason never put it into practice, but now I have. =D

@ajvenema: Thanks for stopping by. I'm actually trying to get into the CA Atelier so my next year will be spent in a community college and then I hope to go to Cali in '09.

Quick update, did some eye studies. I'll post more later, for some reason I just feel drained. I can't do all my studies at one time right now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, you've got the eyes down rather well! Welcome to the board btw.

What's just as important as studying individual parts of the body such as eyes as you have here: is that you need to know how to make them all meld together. I have a major problem in drawing that I have is I draw "an eye", then "another eye", then "a mouth" on the spot instead of plotting them out with basic shapes etc first.

Plan your drawings out. You get amazing artists that don't need to plan out their pictures, but they did at one stage. If you think to yourself "this pic took too long to draw " then tell yourself: "Wait... no it didn't..." simply because you're still walking in the shallow end of the pool, not quite up to par with the guys doing backflips and cannonballs into the deep end.

Anyway, don't be afraid to take the process slowly, and when you're drawing from life, draw from the overall shape first (plot things out) before focusing on the nitty gritty details.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the lack of updates, had to get some things straightened out for my new school and the holidays got in the way, but I did some things done.

The last picture is of the same character for EnterVOID on his character sheet four months apart. (It was pure coincidence I drew it that day. Haha.)

Oh, I got the studies from mentler.

Last edited by Flakari Leader; December 26th, 2007 at 11:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More studies today, I have to work more, I'm slowly progressing in the amount of time I draw each day, but it's not enough. Hopefully I can draw much longer tomorrow. Did a study of A skull (gotta do more of those), one pic from Loomis and two real life studies. (Well, pictures) I also got myself away from petting my lines and drew with solid (semi-)confident lines. I hoping to improve quickly by using that method.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update: 12/29/07

Update for today, did 30 60 second figure studies from posemaniacs for warm-up. Did some Loomis studies, bit of movement and the thing I'm really bad at, foreshortening. Plus I drew some hands. Time spent drawing-wise: I'm doing better, still feel like I didn't do enough.

I also need to work on hands holding objects, that hand holding the pipe just looks bad. D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last update of the year, here's to 2008 being the year for great progress!

Anyway, I'm posting my warm-up of 22, 60 second figure drawings from posemaniacs. Did a small Loomis study regarding the bones of the arm and the scapula. I also did a half hours worth of 5 minutes figure drawings. I put an * by the one I liked best from each page.

I learned two things this time around, 1. I draw very slowly, I can barely make the 60 second mark on my warm-up and on my 5 minute drawings, I have about 2:20 seconds left to refine(fix) the figure and shade, 2. My feet suck, especially when looking at my last 5 minute study on the bottom of my last picture.

Comments very much welcome, I'd like to get some feedback on different things to study in order to speed my progress or if I'm already on the right track.

One more thing: starting tomorrow, as part of a new years resolution for 2008, I'm going to draw a self-portrait every day I possibly can.

Again, happy 2008 everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Couldn't get too much done today, many distractions. I promise tons of studies tomorrow. The SP is coming, gotta do it quick.

Just did my warm-up, did 3 5 minute studies and a page of mentler's anatomy studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finished my SP, it's a quickie, but I think it's better than the one earlier in the thread. Sorry for the extra posts, I couldn't find where to manage my attachments when I edited.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice eye studies, looks like you observed them very well to get the realistic result. Also, the posemaniac quickies looks pretty good, keep them coming !

On the last SP, it looks like you draw "what you think you see" not what you actually see. Look at the shape of the features especially the mouth and compare it to the real thing to see what I mean.

You should check out this thread, I find the method very helpful when doing figure studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    enrigo:Thanks for stopping by, I know I screwed up on that self-portrait, I was quickly doing it, but it's not an excuse for my lack of observation skills. I actually bookmarked a post here containing those same links. Thanks for posting them here, plus the extra "On site" ones. (I didn't have those links)

A new day, a new post.

I bought George Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life this morning and did some studies off it. Continued my warm-up with 15 more figures.

About my self portrait, I had one light source that made some strong shadows, I kind of look like a insane homicidal maniac. (I assure you I'm not.) I still have much work to do. Good thing there's always tomorrow. I'll post a happier pose next time to bring light to the thread. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The new self portrait looks much better than the last one, but I think something looks wrong with the right side (our right). I think the ears are not lining up with the head's angle, and the chin don't line up with the features. That's what I think, but I might be wrong

25. The Following User Says Thank You to enrigo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    enrigo: I saw your comment while typing this, haha. It's amazing what happens when I don't rush and take suggestions. I seemed to move my head a bit when looking down to draw so I must've saw many different positions. Have any ideas how to remedy this? Oh, I just saw your image, all I have to say is, ouch. I'll look at that from now on.

It's a new record! I've now updated 4 times in a row! (I actually wanted 3 days in a row but I forgot I updated on the 31st. xD)

Anyway, did some rhythm and balance studies from Bridgman. Today I started a new method of how long I actually drew, it came out to be 2 hours and 1 minute. I implemented this because I knew I thought I was drawing more than I really was, now I can find out when I'm slacking and kick it into gear. Drawing 2 hours in a fifteen hour period is downright depressing. I'll try for four hours tomorrow. I need to be more dedicated if I want to be accepted to the CA Atelier this summer.

Oh, self-portrait coming soon. I felt like I needed to get this done and out. Dunno why.

Last edited by Flakari Leader; January 3rd, 2008 at 11:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got my self portrait done, I'm disappointed, it still doesn't look like me. It's not quite there yet, I can't even see that it's me just by the picture. I just can't wait until I can get it to where I can recognize myself. Maybe the Bridgman head and face studies will help. I think it's just my observation skills, they're not up to par yet. =(

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Self portraits can be hard thats for sure, what would probably help is some studies for the head and face specifically

I said and still sometimes say the same thing
    Mine didnt used to look like me at all and now their starting to at least haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should try shading your portaits. Set up a light source next to your face and you'll get great contrasts and your drawing will immediately look more 3 dimensional.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is always nice to see a progress in anyone's sketchbook. Keep it up!

I have one question for experts here about the basic pencil shading technique; it is a good way to make parallel lines to achive a halftone? Or maybe something diffrent?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I read from a lot of books and they all say beginners should use cross hatching for pencil shading. They say it's because smudging the picture can easily make it look flat and also lose the contrast.
    http://www.portrait-artist.org/basics/shading.html has a lot of information on portrait drawing that I think is pretty useful.

Here's a picture from the book "pencil drawing techniques" that uses cross hatching.
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/enrigo/shade2.jpg

Last edited by enrigo; January 4th, 2008 at 05:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by enrigo View Post
    I read from a lot of books and they all say beginners should use cross hatching for pencil shading. They say it's because smudging the picture can easily make it look flat and the lose the contrast.
    Thanks a lot, I will try this soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's great to see you working so hard to succeed, keep it up! Do some co-ordination exercises once in a while too - they will really help define your lines and make your hand do what you want it to do. Draw vertical parallel lines, horizontal parallel lines, circles, ellipses, squares and fill a page with them every so often. Do blind contour drawings to help loosen up your arm and draw what you see. And then, do some 3d cubes, and check the perspective with a ruler - then draw them again. These exercises may seem boring but they can help so much.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to thek For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1