Thanks

tall figure/ monster

HI!
    I'm new to sculpting but started to build things out of plaster in the last time! Because i really enjoyed it i began to create my first serious work - a tall creature (over 2 meters). I started to form the shape out of a wire mesh which i covered with plaster afterwards. The base shape is finished but i still will add a few things like a tongue.
    Then i painted the whole thing with varnish (painting not finished yet). Unfortunately i had to support the figure by a pale.
    c&c very welcome!!!
    cheers

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Wow i applaud you for your ambition, but alot of things with this figure just arent meshing very well and there is so much dispraportion which im sure probably comes from the work flow in which you crated this figure. Have you ever seen the work flow of Ron mueck he realy has the best process for making large scale sculpts.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    this "disproportion" was on porpuse! it wasn't my aim to sculpture a creature which is based on the human being's (or any other real existing creature) anatomy! i.e. i know that the forearm is nearly two times as long as the upper arm and so on.

Nevertheless thank you for your comment!
    cheers

Thanks

Wink

there can be a lot of disproportions in an imaginary creature, but it must always have a harmonious flow to it's shape. Your sculpture looks like a bunch of body parts stiched together. You must study how the shapes flow in animals and humans...you must study a bit more anatomy. At the moment it doesn't look right. The fact that it is an imaginary creature is no excuse for bad anatomy or shapes.

Keep it up!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iatriki View Post
    Your sculpture looks like a bunch of body parts stiched together.
    hmmm well i know that there are parts that don't look flowing but i really wouldn t say that the whole figure doesn t fit together! in my opinion legs, arms, hands are of the same style and match to the torso.

it would be nice and helpful if you could give me a concrete example (i.e. a special part of the figure...) of what you exactly mean!
    thx
    cheers

Thanks
    Hey solid I whent ahead and pointed out some of the areas that me and iatriki were mentioning and that you could improve upon. I think whats important for you to concider in the future is that once you have you the anitial character idea concider his design through function and environment, think about what his skeleton might look like and how it can support his muscle and what ever else you include. And always keep some anatomy reference close by let it be your bible and guide you through any rough times you encounter.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Y'know, direct building at this scale without doing a maquette first is a very tricky way to work. Plaster is not a media that lends itself well to finding shapes; you should already know the shape you are creating before you mix the plaster.

Did you do sketches either on paper or in clay before starting this? If not, you might seriously want to consider it next time. It helps to get the forms clear in your head before you start in a fairly unforgiving medium like plaster.

Thanks
    HI!
    @noshadowmaster: thank u for ur reply! Still i have to say that most of the areas u spotted were planed to look like they are - but anyway if u look at the sculpture regarding anatomy - i understand that there are many things to criticize!
    Moreover i wanted u to thank for the link of ron mueck! great artist! u said that i will find some information about his working technique but the link u gave me just leads to a gallery. do u have any idea where i can find tutorials for building sculptures that size ?? would be great!

@jlamarche
    Quote Originally Posted by jlamarche View Post
    ... Plaster is not a media that lends itself well to finding shapes...
    can u give me any hint for a better material/ technique that i can use to make sculptures that size???

thank u for ur comments
    cheers

Thanks
    wed clay? But then you'd have to mold and cast.. i dunno if i were to do something that large i'd go for paper mache i think, easy to work with, cheap, and lightweight. Depends on what its used for i guess.

And i do agree, even though it's an alien creature, you still need some basic anatomy, it will look much more realistic and believable
    X

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SolidCatTactics View Post
    can u give me any hint for a better material/ technique that i can use to make sculptures that size???
    I'm not necessarily saying don't use Plaster... it's not a bad choice for doing one-of-a-kind large sculptures without having to make a mold. WED clay isn't bad, but you'd have to make a mold, and even a waste mold at that size is going to be a lot of work.

What I'm suggesting is that you do a smaller version (a maquette) first so you know exactly what you want it to look like. You can post pictures of your maquette places here and get feedback before you start using the plaster.

Thanks
    I too admire your ambition...it takes some serious guts to take on a project of this size, and i'm sure you have and will learn a lot from it...i applaud you myfriend...as for anatomy....i guess i will have to put my 2 cents in i agree with the others...although the you want the character to look totally unique and nothing like humanoid or animal....the parts must flow together in a way that visually seems possible...and that is where one must study/analyze anatomy. Once well taken account of, from there one can change, exaggerate, or omit where needed to make totally wacky ideas....but overall i think its a heck of a project keep up the good work!

That thing must be quite heavy...are you going to put it in the yard to scare the kiddies on Halloween?

Have you ever seen the work flow of Ron mueck he realy has the best process for making large scale sculpts.
    is there anything on his process floating around?

Thanks
    Here's a link to a video that starts with showing some of Ron Mueck's works in the Brooklin museum. It also shows some of his workflow: http://blip.tv/file/94203

Thanks
    thank u for the link iatriki! the vid is great!!!

does anyone know if it's possible to work with natural clay without bisque fire it??

thx
    cheers