Space Marine WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Space Marine WIP

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Space Marine WIP

Hello, I've been trying to get a bit more detail into my work and tighten up my painting. There's still a bit to do on this, but so far I'm pretty pleased with it... That said feel free to rip this apart, I'm here to learn.

Thanks for taking a look.

All the best,
    Duane.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by D.Red; October 12th, 2007 at 09:13 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The perspective is off in a few places (the belt, the knees,) and it looks like there is some gadget on one leg but not on the other?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Could you post a close up of the head area?

Still trying to think of a clever saying.

Homocide and Apple Liquid: A Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This painting is really good, but for a space marine its completely off. I realize it may just be extremely stylized but the marines thighs and midsection are so small its hard to imagine how that ceramite armour incases him. Marines are HUGE! and BULKY! thats the only thing I have to say. The rendering of the painting is very good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again. Thanks for all your comments so far. Sorry it took so long to post an update. I've been a bit preoccupied un-frazzling my computer.

Cheers Justin, I've messed about with the belt a bit and moved the left knee down and the right up a bit. It's not exact but should be a bit easier on the eye.

Applecide- New close up posted.

Metal Fingers- I see your point, I usually do draw these a little bulkier. My mind wandered a little when drawing this, that said I don't think it's 'completely off' so much. Space Marines come in all sizes. I think the problem with the mid-rift being too small for his body was because I hadn't rounded the head yet making it look bigger. See what you think now....

Here's the update, cheers for taking a look.....

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "marines are huge and bulky" i thin kthat's the point. the head looks so small and vunerable, it seems like one hit in the face could bring him down.
    you know the game 'gears of war'? check those actors and get your marine some steroides..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the head comment Tighty. I've raised the chin guard to offer a bit more protection.

"marines are huge and bulky", I think that point's already been made. Like I tried to say before, I have drawn these characters bulky before and will again.

I've also drawn more nimble space marines like this one before. I've only just started working on GW stuff. The editor's never aired a problem with the stature of my characters before. What he has asked me to do is step up the quality of my painting. That is what I am trying to work on now and I think I need help. This was the last picture I did involving space marines. It helped me get my first job, but the paint work is pretty loose.

And this is the new one.

I think I've come some way to tightening things up a bit and improving the whole 'grabbable' aspect of the character, but I know it could be better. I'd really appreciate it if some one could boot me in the right direction. Maybe you already are and I'm just not hearing it right yet.

Cheers,
    Duane.

Last edited by D.Red; October 18th, 2007 at 08:34 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.