Sketchbook: cyb's sketchbook (Beginning Art)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

cyb's sketchbook (Beginning Art)

Hello, I've been a member for a while, as I love seeing other people's artwork and coasting off that amazing inspiration that hits every time I take a poke around.

Since I do not have much time to attend local workshops or classes, but aspire to improve my art, I thought it finally time to start a sketchbook online here where other artists (not just family/friends who are biased one way or the other) can impersonally critique my work to assist in the enhancement of my artistic abilities.

I understand that the key to art is practice, but sometimes we all get stuck in a rut where improvement is a hard thing to come by that would be made much easier by simple commentary from a more advanced artist. Often we forget simple concepts when working on a piece or area of interest for too long, and need a good revelation to make ourselves step back into perspective.

Without further ado, I upload my range of concept work (for mostly sci-fi, since it is my favorite genre yet hardest to draw for myself) in recent years.

Please do comment and critique my work, as this is purely for learning. I would also appreciate that if you critique, let me know what is going strong and well in the image, so I know what holds up and what doesn't.

Thanks,
    -tachyon (Derek Reese)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by cyb.tachyon; September 23rd, 2011 at 03:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Concept art for HALO: First Offensive back when I first starting doing real concept art. (2005-2006)

Here I first started focusing on shape and design aesthetics, not worrying about value, color, composition, or any other of the equally important aspects of art.

It's a bit old, but culminates in my first ever attempt to do anything with digital color and composition in photoshop, and a quick sketch for a weapon.

Last edited by cyb.tachyon; September 23rd, 2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Removed the stuff I put 0 effort into.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more recent concepts that are for Supreme Commander: Space Mod come next. I started using pen (India Ink, real nice and fun to use) exclusively for sketching, since it forced me to have some real ideas before taking up a full page for a single design, and I really love the way pen looks.

You may also find a pen+watercolor work somewhere in there. Most concentrate on shape still, with only a few being real promotional pieces. These are closer to my artistic ability now, so any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apparently playing around in paint when bored (over a course of a couple weeks) produces art. These are more sketches than finished compositions, and are more fun to look at than a real display of skill. Definitely made me look at reference differently though, and each character has many variations.

Pixel art FTW.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo, nice start. I really like the paintings done in Paint (Microsoft paint right?). You should work on drawing basic shapes, cubes, spheres, elipses, etc and once you have them down, study some perspective. This will help you improve your concepts solidity.

Keep it up man, wanna see more. And draw as often as possible!

p.s Sorry if I sound like Im telling you to suck eggs lol.

Whos God?!?.....'God... well you know when you really wish for something?'...yeh??.. 'He is the guy that ignores you.'!

My SB

is the Elixer..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Arekkusu: Thanks for the tips. Yes, the HALO drawings were all done in paint over a couple weeks, mainly to alleviate boredom and provide a friend with some good material for a parody. I have a couple of studies of primitives I'll upload, and I'll work a bit more on my understanding of perspective.
    -Your sketchbook has great anatomy and great life. Inspires me to go back to anatomy study myself. I'd love to see more forays into value there.

Until I get back to my scanner, here's some quick concepts for a 3D Surreal Movie I am helping to make.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick basic shape study. (Old, but a reference for some of the new primitive studies I'll hopefully do).

My HP psc 2110 all-in-one will print still when disconnected from the computer, yet it does not scan (i.e. usb is plugged in, everything's been working fine for years, but software says printer isn't there for some reason all of a sudden). I might have to resort to photos... who knows?

And no.. I don't normally use Macs.

Last edited by cyb.tachyon; October 12th, 2007 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Forget scanners. Anywho, as a brief break from starships, I thought of doing something nice, organic, and curvy (sorry, no breasts ).

I'll post my process in case anyone feels like telling what the hell I'm doing right/wrong. I know the guinea pig looks really plastic, I'll try and fix that by toning down the highlights a bit. Guinea pig is referenced from life, background from my head.

I'm pretty slow at this, seeing as I'm a beginner.
    (9 minute sketch) + (6 minute value)
    -
    (17 minute color blocking)

This is about a 1/2 hour's progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ::Quick color study of a bat I'm painting for a halloween party.
    Once that was done I proceeded (with the help of my girlfriend) to paint for the first time in acrylics the bat based off of the color study. I've never really taken to traditional painting, as its (relatively, to my wallet) expensive and time consuming, so this was pretty fun.

Once the bat's paint is done, I'll post a picture of the amazing 11 foot wingspan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been working on a battleship concept for Space Mod, possibly the ModDB concept art competition...

Here's the process. Critiques please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished my 1:30 3D short film animation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uyBbNjsmYM

Doing some more concepts for H:FO.

-Busy as all heck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At UCF for digital media trying as hard as I can to get better. Being a programmer by nature, art is more challenging (and therefore more attractive and interesting).

2.5 hour sketches follow, and one test 3D fur rendering (Blender):

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.