The Gate (need some serious help)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Gate (need some serious help)

I was wonderin if there was anyone out there that could help a kid out with his drawing. It needs to look more sinister and dawnting. Its for a religous sinister faction. plz help me!

thanx

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

quck suggestions

Here are some quick suggestions for you to work on. First, do not use black to do your shadows. Use some colors. That means, also, to avoid the dodge and burn tools completely. Use harder brushes and first. Try to create your own symbols for the door. The symbols don't feel like the all unify because they are so different at times, the symbols used do not seem to make sense at all with the concept (I mean, what is the fast forward and checks doing on the door?) and the symbols do not go up in correct perspective, like you just typed out each like and made them smaller. Also, the symbols on top feel brighter than the symbols at the bottom which confuses the depth. You have no clear light source. Also, decide a color palette before you start working. Anyways, I hope you keep at it. I can all the hard work that went into this piece. Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The image is very flat. This is a background, and the funny thing is, the walls look like a background for a play in a theater. While the shading is appropriate, the overall shapes of the columns, the wall sconces, and the red rapes appears forced. A quick study of these 3-D objects would be in order here. I would go back and apply some three-point perspective to this scene, instead of just a one-point perspective view. That way, you could properly render the shapes I mentioned, and crank up the drama by making this more realistic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just like to say thanx for the comments guys they are much appreciated. I'm getting to work on the drawing now. The comments are very thought out and i thank you for taking the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely concur the about the symbol changes. You say that the gate is for a religious, sinister faction, but why are the symbols so random? I see a 'hole in one', gift box, something that looks like a police badge, skip forward and backward sign, and also something that looks like the aliens from Space Invaders. Nothing really makes any sense. If this faction made the gate, why not completely make up a new set of symbols that would reflect this group?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tell me if this looks more dramatic, also i've been racking my brain trying to think of something else i could put on the door instead of writing. If anyone has an idea for the door plz comment.

thanx 4 the help.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you would like some help with perspective, I just posted a tutorial that might help you. The link is in my sig. Cheers!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems as though you didn't really take any of the critiques to heart, you just changed the sky. hm.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Google "Runes" or "Runic alphabet", that should give you some esoteric symbols to work with if you don't want to invent your own.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dose206 View Post
    It seems as though you didn't really take any of the critiques to heart, you just changed the sky. hm.
    I was about to say the same thing.

It seems as though you are trying to save your existing work (every-piece-is-a-masterpiece-syndrome), instead of truly learning from the experience and making corrections.

Stop doing that.

Even fantasy settings are based somewhat on real things. The red drapes should look more like real drapes, instead of what you think real drapes look like. The way the folds at the corners of each one makes a sharp C is simply impossible. The black blocky lines on each side of each column simply cannot be there. When was the last time you saw great big blocks of black on the side of anything, without some sort of light bouncing off of them coming from somewhere?

Just adjusting the sky doesn't make it more dramatic, it just makes it the same piece with a different sky. Even just changing the runes will not "fix" this piece. You must learn to let some things go, and perform the dreaded redraw. Sure, it's a pain, and sure, it is more work. However, you aren't here to get gushing priase, you're here to learn how to make it better, right?

Do yourself a great big favor: Take some time to study about the parts some of us have mentioned in our crits. Find some columns, and study them, and then draw them. Find some curtains blowing in the wind, study those, and draw them. Learn how the light should play on different surfaces when lit by flickering light. Draw that, too. Sometimes treating your problems areas as seperate studies will help you find solutions you are missing when looking at the overall image as a whole.

I know, I know, it means a lot of extra work. So? How else are you going to improve if you don't get in there and strive towards getting better?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.