Sketchbook: Yngling || Scribbling and scratching on the paper...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Yngling || Scribbling and scratching on the paper...

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yngling || Scribbling and scratching on the paper...

Hello there!

Welcome to my sketchbook! I hope you'll take the time to look at some of my scribblings an perhaps leave me a crit or two.

I started this book to set some sort of goal for myself, to really get something done regularly, and of course to hear some comments from you guys. This site has got me all excited about art again, and I'm very grateful for that. I can't wait to go to art school next year!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Yngling; October 21st, 2010 at 07:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here we have some random face and hand studies. For the faces, no reference was used, I just scribble something and just see how it turns out. For the hands I used my own hands as reference from time to time. Should do that a lot more often! The last one is a random robot, mainly meant as a practice in rendering metal.

Last edited by Yngling; October 23rd, 2007 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an inked pice I did recently. I'm rather pleased with it, even though the rendering leaves to be desired. I just love how drawings can just emerge out of a single line, like this piece did.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And finally some digital sketches, one of my window around the evening, and one of some random guy with a glowing hand of some sort. In case you're wondering, the ugly brown strokes on the windowpane are my attempt at rendering the light coming form my lamp...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The inked trees really are great. I don't think it really needs any filling, except maybe the background. Looks complete just the way it is I'd love to see more pieces like that! Nice hand and face studies to boot... keep the posts up

If you're going to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

-Oscar Wilde

My Old SB Needs Your Criticism!
    My New SB Needs Your Criticism! [Last Page]
    My deviantART Page
    iMaiM demands you go see Dennis Currie's Sketchbook!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iMaiM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work with pencil very good and your digital paintings need more and more hours of practice. But don't worry... me too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shankara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shankara:Yes it's true, I'm not too good at digital painting yet, and these pieces show it all the more because they are really quick sketches that didn't take longer than half an hour. So far, I prefer traditional methods anyway, it's just more real and satisfying.

Alright, let's not fill this post with just talk. Here's some more face studies I did, a character sketch, and something I did from reference. Can't give you the ref though, I have no idea where I found it anymore

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good so far! just keep on going now keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm getting the hang of this Here's a piece I've started working on this afternoon, a little rough in some spots but I work rather unsystematic. Well, maybe not that unsystematic, I always start with the most interesting part
    About the subject, it's just your standard galactic overlord on his throne, planning his ultimate attack to ensure total domination, or just enjoying a moment alone in his throne room...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Continuing with some more PS speedpainting...Ik kind of like the mood I got here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I'm back again with some new pencil drawings. First are a few faces (again), and then a little conquistador-esque sketch. I did some PS sketches too, but none of them are worth showing...at the moment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've just come back from my vacation and still have a lot of traditional sketches waiting to be scanned, but for now I have a PS image I redid lately. Looking back at most of my digital paintings I came to the conlusion I was far too shy in using values! Most of the pictures just looked dull and gained so much from just a little tweaking of the contrast. With that in mind I mace some changes to a sketch of mine from some time ago and it came out way better than the original.

The person in the picture was originally just meant as practice, but she has become some sort of cyber-zombie. She has been brainwashed by staring at screens all day, just as I feel sometimes after working on the computer for hours. It always gives me such a headache and I'm constantly staring and feeling numb...I imagine this girl feels just like that, in some future world where there are screens and monitors everywhere, and your senses are constantly bombarded with information. Can't be good for you...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Medusa is nicee! You should make it more interesting though, make her do something. Add story to your piece.

Keep it up mate! Do some more studies?!

Good luck to you,

Frans

Digital Painting | v8ART.net
    Visit my Blog for a Crazy Adventure down the Art lane - v8ART

Best educational digital art blog ever - Ctrl+Paint

Pillage & Plunder - Sketchbook

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Vigilandus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo! A comment Dank je, Frans! You're right, it's all a bit static right now, but this is not the final pose. It was more of a study for the dress. Now I've got to bring her alive! Not sure how though, I'll keep doing sketches for the next couple of days. January 6th seems so far away, but I know I'll have to step on it now. As for the studies, I really, really should get a good anatomy book...can't seem to find anything in the bookstores, maybe I should try the internet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Make sure to upload the sketches. About the books: Ask nicely and maybe some'll send you some good loomis pdf's or whatever on IRC.

And UPDATE! I want to see more.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Vigilandus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, here you go Vigilandus! I did a quick lineout of the Medusa outfit and scanned it so I could colour it in PS, and decide on a colour scheme. This was all rather quick, just checking some possibilities. I like the first one, but it is a bit too light, and therefore I made a second sketch. I think it will be some sort of combination of the two, the layered colours of the underdress from #2, and the rest like #1. It should really be a marine colour scheme if I am to follow the myth, which I'm planning to do.

Oh yeah, I made some thumbnails too about the composition of the piece. It's rather unintelligible, but I like to work messy during initial sketches, as long as I hit a good idea. Perhaps you can figure out what it will be like, because I like this one. Struggling with the perspective...

Also included here is something I did yesterday when I was a bit bored. I browsed through the photography thread here on CA, found this photo by Zemotion, and copied it loosely with charcoal. I know it's not the best kind of practice but it was fun and I learned another technique that way, ie blending charcoal with a brush and using multiple layers. In fact, I was so happy with it I did some experiments with it later on. Both results you see here. Thanks Zemotion for the excellent photograph, and I hope you don't mind me shamelessly copying it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick update for today...I decide on a pose for Medusa, sitting on a throne in despair. I've begun to set up the picture, first with some solid forms, like the throne, and then added the lighting. I've placed a figure in there too, with some crude lighting. It now comes down to getting the shapes right, and maintaining good values. I'll worry about color later, I really want to do it step by step. I'll post more updates as I go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice pose.

I like how it is coming along, it really pays off to approach this picture more systematically than I'm used to.
    Step by step = Good tactic

Use lots of layers so you won't mess up like I do.

Keep it up!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Vigilandus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The fun has only just started! I've begun rendering the fleshy bits, perhaps a bit of a waste because some of it will be covered by the dress (there will be one later!). Doesn't matter, if I continue at this pace I will have no problem finishing before next sunday. Some parts were a real pain, such as the right hand. I'm still not sure if it's ok this way. Also, the head caused some trouble as I hadn't figured out how it would look. All in all, I'm satisfied with the progress, I've even put on a colour layer to see what it will be like that way. I see now that I need to 'push my values' a bit, the light parts aren't as light as they could be.

*Edit* : Wooo! Page number twooo! May there be many more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some last minute sketches...not that much, but I'll show you anyway. After all, this IS a sketchbook and I will fill it with all the good ones, and possibly bad ones, I do. But only if it's worth scanning of course That cat btw was drawn from life, though cats don't make very good models. When they're not wandering about they are asleep, and twist themselves into the oddest shapes so you wouldn't even know where the head is...why don't they ever just sit still?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy new year to all of you! May you grind many pencils to stumps this year! I'll kick off the year with some studies, nothing spectacular, but all too necessary. First up is a skeleton study, from the head so not very accurate. I did these with some very large charcoal sticks, which was a pain to work with so small. Should buy me some smaller ones. I see now that it was damaged a bit, charcoal is so delicate! It comes off all too easy when not fixated.
    The other is another sort of study. From the head again, so it is no wonder the back is a bit screwed...I like the pose though, I'm not all that good at getting the lines to flow and creating dynamic poses. She's a bit of a midget really, looking at her legs more carefully...I should REALLY watch my proportions. The other head is a bit off, I know, something I still struggle with.
    About the CHOW piece, I'm working very hard to get it done, but progress is very slow now with all the details going on so I'll just give you an update when I have made some serious progress. One can have too many WIP shots too...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went to the library the other day and to my surprise found a copy of some book by Burne Hogarth (don't know the title, it was a translated version). It seems like a nice book so I'll start copying some work from it before I have to return it again. Starting off with some hands, they're one of my weak spots, along with feet. It was pretty fun to do, with all the flowy lines and such, but man, that Hogarth draws some boney hands! Exaggeration might be a good way to learn I guess...O yeah, I ordered Bridgmans Constructive Anatomy and A Hundred Hands today too! I'm all set for some anatomical studying!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook, Yngling, you seem to be making good progress :)

(Btw, gezien je Nederlands bent; ben je toevallig dezelfde Yngling die vroeger op WoW-Frostwhisper speelde? Zo niet, negeer dit gedeelte dan maar :p )

29. The Following User Says Thank You to somnus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I ordered some Bridgman books (Constructive Anatomy & Book of a Hundred Hands) and now that they've finally arrived it's time for some anatomy study! Not very sure how to go to it though. I tried copying but it's not very fun to do, so now I'm just mastering the principles and see if I can apply them myself...I did some in PS, and in pencils. Also included are some early sketches for the next CHOW. The last one was very much a personal success for me and the ideas started coming quickly after seeing the topic. I'll see if I can finish something in time.

Somnus: Nee, dat zal we toeval zijn...ik heb nog nooit WoW gespeeld! Yngling is gewoon een aanpassing van mijn echte naam, Yngwie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was just throwing some ideas around in PS for the next CHOW and I suddenly found myself painting a whole piece! I'm becoming more and more confident with PS. I'm not sure on the colours yet, I find it hard to come up with a good colour scheme. I've als done some more Bridgman studies in ink.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yet more Bridgman studies, and a bit of doodling in PS...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really think it is extreme unfair that you didnt received any comment so far. You studies look amazing, all of them.
    Your stuff looks promising! Keep it up!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Carbono For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phew! Back at last! I had a test week (I'm in my last year of high school right now) so I couldn't update. Today I went to see one of my possible future schools, and I must say, I was impressed! Downside to it is that I have to move and rent a room, since it is too far away to take the train every morning.

Here are some random things, something I did for my younger brother (not completely finished) and a little pen...thing done after watching some great book illustrations and engravings (is that the word?), some of them by the mighty Gustave Doré. Not quite as good, but fun nonetheless.

Carbono: Thank you for your encouraging comment! I was beginning to feel abit lonely here, talking to myself

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been a lousy updater lately...not that I don't sketch, there's no single day I don't, but mostly small stuff, random stuff, unfinished stuff. That combined with my apparent fear of filling a whole page leaves not much to show, so I put some together in one picture. The rest is just scribbles, and another page of small gesture-ish figures. I love doing these, just thinking up all sorts of poses and try to draw them as dynamic as possible with only a few lines. Great practice, as I've noticed, because my lines are getting more confident. Where I needed like 3 strokes before to get a decent line, I'm now actually able to do so in one, with some weight added in the right spots afterwards. Anyway, enough ramble, here's the pictures!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Need...to...update!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1