Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Yngling || Scribbling and scratching on the paper...

Thanks
    Some more random stuff for the book. I scanned a few pages from my small sketchbook, where I occasionally just sketch away. One was done with a calligraphic pen. I like calligraphy, and especially arabic, because it's more like a form of art than just writing. This is just a weak imitation, but fun to do nonetheless. Perhaps something to explore in the future? Others are just anatomy practices and some attempt at working loosely with charcoal. Lovely medium, but very vulnerable when not fixated. O and yes, a little thumbish picture of one of the assignments I'm working on. I'm going to do 4 pieces, 2 good things about living in this age, and 2 bad. This one's about mass culture, which I don't like too much, I'm a man of obscurities. The tv is supposed to be a symbol of that. Anyway, need to work this out quickly, have to do all 4 before friday next week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I somehow got the idea of drawing a 'chess knight', a knight based on the shape of a chess piece. Unfortunately I am not a chess connaiseur so I mixed up some elements, but it turned out pretty good. I think I'll do some more of these (and with some ref!).

Thanks
    I'm in a great mood! Last friday was chance #2 to get into art school next year. If you read back a little, I've been declined on one already, which was a real dissappointment, but also a learning experience. This time I was more prepared. Anyway, the admissions lasted a whole day this time. In the morning, I had to leave my portfolio on a table for the first round of selection. The teachers would go over all portfolios (there were about 80 entrants!) and decide who would go on to the next round (it was almost like one of those horrible idol-programs). After a awful 3 hours of waiting, which was truly nerve-wracking, the lucky few were announced, and guess what, of all 80 entrants only about 15 were selected, including me! After this there were individual interviews, and we had to work on an assignment for the rest of the time. All in all, I'm really optimistic! The interview went well, the assignment (which will be judged as well), although not finished, turned out pretty well, and there were some nice people among the selected. Only thing missing is the official confirmation. Still, I guess I'd better wait for that before I jump tot conclusions. Nothing would bring me down more than another 'no'.

On to some pictures. Here are my 4 pieces for the assignment. They are all comments on modern society, but in a different jacket. 2 of them had to be positive, 2 negative. These were done in 3 days, I had to work very hard to get them done in time. Perhaps pencil wasn't the best choice, but I made it anyway. There are perspective problems, compositional things I'm not too happy with, but for the short amount of time, not a bad result IMO.

Thanks
    Hello again! To my utter surprise I got a letter yesterday with a confirmation of my suspicions: I've been admitted at the HKU in Utrecht! I'm really looking forward to go there, getting into it is one thing, but the adventure only really starts here. I'm very happy I did it.

Today was (and still is) a lazy vacation day. It's raining outside, so I've been fooling around a bit. First up is something unique for me...some years ago, for some reason, I gave up on aquarel (watercolours) because I couldn't work with it. Stupid of course, because it is a wonderful medium and I've seen beautiful works done with it. Now I'd like to try and become more confident with it, so I've done this little thing. I didn't work from a sketch, so it got a little off, the eyes are not properly aligned and that sort of trouble. Still, I had fun doing this, so more will follow, with (hopefully) better results.
    Second is a sketch of a tree with charcoal. I love trees, I love charcoal, so it's definitely something to do more often. Last is my humble attempt at impressionism. It's pretty small and done quickly, but I discovered yet another interesting technique that I might be experimenting with more in the future.

Thanks
    This is it...I'm quitting CA.org for the next 3 weeks! Seriously, I have my final exams in only 1.5 week, and CA is waaay too distracting for me. I'll be back when exams are over. In the meantime, I have only this to show you. See you in 3 weeks!

Thanks
    So...I didn't quite keep my promise, I had a shot at some work for Deep during my exams (not much, but still...). In the past few days I've been sketching some too. I actually bought myself a fancy Moleskine sketchbook, it looked so classy, I had to have one. Besides, I like the yellowy paper much more than the ultra-white paper I usually draw upon. So here you have some Deep sketches, something from my Moleskine book and a couple of rather crude anatomy sketches. I absolutely need to do more of those, if only to get rid of that horrible, sculptoresque linework. It actually feels like I need to hack out the shapes instead of loosely putting them down. I hate that.

BTW, I'm in a really good mood today because our cat just brought four wonderful kittens into this world. I might be a guy, but even I can't resist the charm of the little creatures
    Last edited by Yngling; June 4th, 2008 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks
    Trying to get ideas flowing for the Deep contest. This is a little sketch I did for an environment, some sort of entrance to the Great Shell, a huge shell-like construction hiding a vast and lively city. Not sure yet if this is the way I want it to look, but it's a nice start and a chance to practice an underwater colourscheme.

Thanks
    This sketchbook is really looking solid. Keep focusing on your studies and keep practicing. Good luck with design school as well. For me it was a great experience and it looks like you've got a head start. Keep it up.

Thanks
    I can't believe it's been more than a month already since my last post...due to some hectic times involving attempts to get work and the purchase of a brand new laptop, I just couldn't find the time to scan some stuff. Now I've finally but barely managed to scan a bit. There's more to come, however.

Here's some 'ancient' stuff from when I foolishly attempted to get something together for the Deep contest, while also learning for exams, which I passed wonderfully BTW. Also included are some sketches from my Moleskine sketchbook.

I'll try to bring my SB more up to date soon.
    Last edited by Yngling; August 17th, 2008 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks

Thanks
    And again some more...First one is still WIP, done in acrylics. Need to finish that one some time soon.

Thanks
    More sketchbook scans. Somehow I haven't got the scanner set up properly, for I need to adjust each and every image to get something that resembles the original...

Thanks
    More...
    Last edited by Yngling; August 17th, 2008 at 12:31 PM.

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast