Sketchbook: Yngling || Scribbling and scratching on the paper... - Page 6
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Yngling || Scribbling and scratching on the paper...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nettle: Thanks man. As it is, I agree, it's pretty rough, but it was just a spontaneous idea. Maybe I'll polish it up digitally.

This afternoon I sat down somewhere in Utrecht Central Station and just sketched people passing by for about 1,5 hours. I'd never done this, but it turns out it is a perfect excercise in drawing FAST! It also greatly helps the hand-eye-coordination, as you simply don't have time to look at the paper while scribbling. Sometimes it gets all over the place, sometimes it works. This might just be something do to once every week, like half an hour or so. See if it will improve.

First two are not from the aforementioned session, btw.

Edit: Scanner decided to quit on me, but the rest wil follow shortly, I promise!

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man i really enjoyed the set with this one
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1232489172

i like where you're going with these "scribbles", getting some really interesting groupings of line

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If scanning does not work, photographs will!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fun with coloured pencils. From the head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More sketches from today. In some I tried some different approaches to capture movement, with varying success I guess. Sadly, my scanner refused to do anything but black-and-white scans after the first image. Ah well. Next week is vacation time, so expect plenty of sketches to come!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Dadu!

Some fresh stuffs from last week, and some older sketchbook pages I hadn't shown before.

Sorry about the quality

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the hand, its alive! aaaaaaaaah
    good job dude, like how you did the veins, looks like i can look through the skin! drawing the veins makes a hand much nicer i think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks AJ, glad you like it. I was actually working in different layers and materials to get the translucent effect, and it seems to work. Will do me some more like this I think.

Here's another approach/attempt. It has its qualities, but in terms of texture and layering it falls a bit short for me, compared to the other one. It's all about getting the most 'skinlike' feel, and I feel I'm not quite there yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great sketchbook. love your stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MeTaL-Mike: Thanks man! You going to the worskhop as well?

I can't believe it all went so fast. It's been a year already since I started studying Illustration at the HKU. All I can say is that I learned a LOT during this year. I'm sure some of it shows in my work. Still, there's so much room left for improvement (isn't there always?).

That's why I'm very much looking forward to the next workshop in Cologne! It's a great chance at a great time. I hope I can make it!

So that I don't go unprepared, I really feel I need to do more digital painting. It's something I've still to get comfortable with. I want to get at least the basics and the feel of it down before the workshop. I'll make that my goal.

On to the actual reason for this post. I did two quick head studies in B/W to train my lighting and modeling skills. Even though they were the first digis in a while, I'm fairly happy with them. Maybe I'm not as incompetent with PS as I thought. I'll go study much much more the coming months, that's a promise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did another one, working pretty quick this way. After three of these I already feel more confident. This next one can't have taken me more than 20 mins. A bit more caricatural. Discovered that simplification works wonders.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Yngwie!
    I started digitals as well again funny how that's the first thing we both do as school finished.
    You might want to consider getting the newest download on portraits? I think it has lots of usefull information. I haven't got it yet because of a lack of moneys, but I think I will soon
    Anyway, I have to go now, my train leaves in 20 minutes
    Keep up the nice work ^^

Love
    Marleen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Marleen. The download you mentioned was kind of what inspired me to do these. Don't have it though, just saw the preview. I'm saving for the workshop, so it'll have to wait I'm afraid.

Next one from this morning. Spent a little longer on it, polishing some metallic surfaces and trying to get varying textures/feels. Face is kind of skewered, but sometimes I don't really mind. People aren't symmetrical. Still, more care in earlier steps might help some.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another quick one. Tried to go for a more subtle approach this time, with less harsh contrast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're a busy boy today
    i cant really give crits on the digi's, since ive zero experience with that, but it seems that ur picking it up fast! i think analog painting is more interesting though, start doing that again as well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jaja, een ding tegelijk! Maybe I'll paint some analog portraits later today. Still, I think digital painting has it's charms as well, just need to find out how. It's a practical way to study anyway.

This time around I did a referenced value study from a photograph. Turned out a bit...dunno. It's a bit sloppy. Need to watch my edges more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Back to analog it is...I'll try to find a healthy balance. In this batch I've got some quick linear drawings, from observation. I realized I really don't do a lot of work from observation, but it's good practice. Things like this are great for training spontaneity in my drawing. It's harder than it looks, that's for sure.

Also included are some sketchbook pages, with the usual random anatomy sketches, and a drawing of a young pigeon we found in our garden this weekend. Last of the batch is a painting I started just now for fun. I've never painted this quickly and roughly before, but it's fun! I think I'll leave this one as it is and do some more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did a session of posemaniacs for the first time, and I had a hard time I'll tell you! I'm very much used to working slowly and carefully, but this is just...good practice I'm sure! I felt like I fell a few seconds short on the first few pages, which improved later on, but I'll need me a lot more of these if I want more accuracy. Right now it's all over the place.

oh and yes, a random acrylic painting of a torso too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Train sketches and a character from my newly-bought a3 sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo dude! very nice to see how you start to discover the faster way of drawing/painting im very curious how you are going to implement it into your future art, i think it will really add a lot! the last face you did looks a bit hurried in proportions as well, is it from mind or reference? the posemaniacs are pretty nice btw! the last character as well, altough im not sure about those underpants see you tomorrow!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the movement you manage to capture in your drawings. Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really interesting work, i can see one serious evolution(in the good way) on your sketchbook too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, you've got some good things going on in here. I was wondering, what would suggest a beginner should work on first? Are there any exercises you usually do?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't know yet. i really want to. hope time will permit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AJ: So far I'm really liking the fast work! Your own sketches have inspired me very much in doing this. The last face might indeed be a bit out of proportion, but personally I don't really mind that sometimes. A little bit of exaggeration, in this case the long neck, the nose and the overall sharpness of the features, can sometimes help establish character. As long as you don't let them become caricatures. Point taken though, the painting was a bit rushed and when speeding my proportions tend to suffer. Hope you had a good time in Belgium!

Slothboy3000: That is a nice compliment. Translating energy and life into drawings is one of my main goals, and it's good to hear it's showing.

Towy: Glad to hear that! My greatest fear perhaps is to stagnate and stop learning. Thankfully there's so much yet to learn!

Demotyme: Apart from the usual answers "study anatomy" and "draw draw draw", both useful things to do, I'd say that attitude is one of the most important things to work on. Try to open up, be eager to learn and have fun in your drawing! Once the drive is there, the rest will be much easier. Devote yourself to getting better as an artist, and not just technically. Try out different things, make mistakes, so you can discover what works for you and what doesn't. Seek feedback, show your work to other people and learn from them as well as from yourself. Be critical and analyze your own work from time to time. What do you need to improve? Work on it! It's kind of scary at first, I've been there and still am in a way, but it's been eye-opening.

As for excercises, I'd recommend to work from life or reference a lot, really look at what you're drawing and store it in your brain. As illustrators/concept artists/whatever you need a visual library that you can use when working from imagination. So study everything, clothing, animals, faces, weaponry, etcetera. Then do some drawings from your imagination, and see if you can use some of the elements you've studied. You'll see your drawings will become more convincing.
    I don't know if this is the advice you were looking for, but it is the most useful thing I can tell you right now. These are all things I'm still working on myself.

Pfew, I'm unusually talkative today. I've just returned from a study trip to Rome, with school. It was a great experience, and a highly inspiring one. We were on a tight schedule, because there's so much to see in Rome, but I managed to draw some as well. Most of it's from my pocket sketchbook I carried with me all the time. Last up is somewhat of a return to an old format, the 'page-o-faces', just to see how I've improved.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo dude! good to hear rome was fun, and you even managed to draw! belgium was a lot of fun as well, life should be more about just making art with nice people
    im amazaed by the loosiness in your recent work, the first one from the plane is lovely, its small, its just an ordinary plane wing, theres not much to see but still i could look for some minutes at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AJ, you're right, it should!

I can't believe how uninspired I am after a week full of inspiration. Now that I'm back, it's the same as always. Just...meh. I can't seem to focus. That's why I've begun to throw ideas around for the New Born contest. I already have something in mind which has potential of being awesome, so we'll see. For now, I worked on the recent portrait a bit, added colour and such, mostly for practice. It's nothing exciting really, just like the other painting, the blue one. I've been studying crows too, they're a recent fascination of mine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, some cool stuff! I like your fast life sketches and all those little studies. Your painting skills seem to develope very well, too. Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GunTrouver: Glad you like the sketches. I feel way more confident in my lines nowadays.

Something from this evening. I'm cooking up something fun as well for the mail exchange (http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=158708&page=4), but I can't post it until someone has received it. Can't spoil the surprise! Oh and nice ideas for Newborn as well, yet no concrete images. Expect some soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Awsome sketchbook
    I really like the lines in your gestures
    Keep having fun drawing/painting -Omerta

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1