Sketchbook: Yngling || Scribbling and scratching on the paper... - Page 3

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Yet another page of gestures? Yes indeed! As fun as they are, I feel I am repeating myself a bit much...perhaps I should just find another 'sketchercise' ( O that's so bad... ). Anyway, horrible wordplays aside, here they are!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    So...hot from the press, or from the pen really...I finished my Poe illustration! I'm not too sure if it's the result I hoped for, but for a second try at such an illustration I guess it's alright. I did discover I love inks, and next time perhaps I'd like something more dynamic and clean, instead of this crazy hatching that takes a lot of time, and somehow feels too static.

Last edited by Yngling; February 29th, 2008 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks
    yeah, man, your inking is nice. post more of your inking stuff.

Thanks
    Working hard on my admission assignments now...here's one I'm working on. I had to choose an article from a magazine and make an illustration about it. I chose something about digital media and the overflow of information. The idea for the illustration was to show a person who's become 'zombified' by the chaos of data, represented by the (still rough) zeroes and ones in the BG. Her eyes have become blinded by it all, and she's in a state of indifference. In a way this theme continues on something I did earlier. I hope the message will be clear enough, that's always hard to get right. Don't mind the colours, I have just splashed it on to see what it would be like.

Last edited by Yngling; March 4th, 2008 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks
    So...I'm thinking of calling this one done. Only some minor cleanup to do I guess, and signing it of course! The others are coming along nicely too. Still, I'm already a bit nervous for next monday. So, to loosen up a bit, I did some mindless sketching last evening. Always fun.

edit - Oh and by the way, yesterday was my eighteenth birthday! I can call myself 'adult' now, at least acoording to the law.

Thanks
    Soo...I have had my little 'interrogation'! Yesterday was admissions day, and I guess I rolled through pretty well. I had to talk to two teachers from the Illustration department, you know, about my motivations, about my goals etcetera etcetera. I had some things with me as well, and I had hoped to get at least some feedback on my stuff, but these people were unreadable! I couldn't even see whether they liked what they saw or not, nor did they say anything...how frustrating! Now I'll have to wait three weeks before I get a response, before I know if I'm in or not...

Ok, no whining without some pictures! Here's the final result on the assignment and some random faces. I should work from life more, my faces need it.

Thanks
    Hey Yngling you got good sketchbook shaping up here. Those facial studies are looking great. Keep pushing those!

I like the digital piece also but maybe think about pushing your shadows just alittle more next time.

Thanks
    I feel bad for not updating for a whole week! I have school exams to blame, but there should be no excuse for not drawing. The only slightly worthy thing of posting are some character sketches I did of some old characters from a story of mine. I want to revisit that story, that world, and get some sci-fi work done! Feeling guilty, I also did a speedie this evening. Can't have taken me longer than 2 hours, just messing around with textures and colours, but I like it enough. Should do this more often.

Last edited by Yngling; March 22nd, 2008 at 04:15 AM.

Thanks
    Great versatility you got! Nice sketchbook, keep it up.

Thanks
    Continuing on this little project...some more character sketches. I'm a bit down right now because I got rejected for the study I wanted to do. Don't know why, probably because of my presentational skills, I'm not a very good talker at all. Could also be the assignments, I felt a bit unsure what to do with them. It really sucks, I thought I had done alright...well, better luck next year, or at another school. I still have a backup option but I'm a bit out of confidence for yet another interview. (Sorry for the whine, I felt the urge to write it away. I won't give up!) I have the plan to participate in a CHOW, COW or EOW every week, when I have the time, to get some training in following a brief. I think I will also try my hand at some more book illustrations, for the same reasons. That oughta help me!

Maidith: Thanks. I'd like to be comfortable in a wide array of mediums, so I can always pick the one that suits me best for a specific task.

Thanks
    Happily continuing on some designs for (maybe) some comic work?! At least it gives me a project to work on for now. I tried to design some clothing styles for this universe, but I'm no good at fashion. I need reference! The character piece needs more darks. There's also a little midget-y guy who just leapt onto the paper for no obvious reason. A bit stiff, I could do with some more action in my poses. Back to some gestures?

Thanks
    Alright, I've begun on this weeks CHOW (#111), and what an excellent topic is is btw. I set out with some random sketches for ideas. I want a bit of a comic-like style, it is for a children's book after all. I had this pirate sketch that I liked very much so I went further with that. The colour version was a test, I'm not completely satisfied with the scheme so I'll need some work on that. I plan on doing all four characters, so lots to be done yet.

Thanks
    More sketches...

Thanks
    So...back at last after some important school tests. I sadly missed the CHOW, but then again, it was quite overconfident of me to think I'd be able to finish this AND learn my tests AND all the other things I had to do. I did work on it however, so I've had some excercise out of it. I know now that I was rejected because of 'a lack of personal touch' and 'a lack of originality'. I want to focus my attention on those areas and improve enough to get into the next school. The question is, how? If anyon has some suggestions about how I can practice these things, or improve them, don't hesitate to tell me!

Alright now, on to some sketches. First is something for CHOW. I had the idea to design a nautilus ship for the pirates, and the idea still intrigues me. Perhaps I'll do something with it later. Next is a page with faces, in some different styles/techniques. Next are two caricature-like, or comic like characters. The sherrif's head was inspired by a 'sculpture' i did with my kneadable eraser. I sometimes do that when I'm stuck, it's great fun. Last is a page of anatomy practice. It was all done from the head, no reference used. That way, I can spot where my weaknesses lie and do more studies of those.

Thanks
    I created this little excercise for myself. I noticed I was not really creative when it comes to associating things, I always came up with the clichéd, straightforward solutions. What I am trying here is to go a little deeper, come up with associations that are not obvious, or at least a bit more imaginative. Not much going on technique-wise, more of a creative training. Don't know if it'll work though.

Thanks
    Ahh! Only..two...more...days! I have been way more busy than I'd like, with my exams coming and all. I also have yet another admissions interview/day scheduled in three weeks. Have to work on that assignment as well, don't know how yet. I have to select 4 events/situations that have happened recently, 2 positive 2 negative, and comment on them by means of 4 different pieces.
    I'm really not that good at these assignments, I don't feel comfortable with them. The fact that it should be recent events doesn't make it easier. I could do some political cartoons or something like that but I'm really, really not into that. My initial idea was to unify these 4 pictures under one theme. Something that does 'fit' me. I know I have the habit of turning assignments around in such a way it fits my idea, rather than the other way round, but I might be onto something.
    I wanted to do a series with the theme 'modernization', highlighting some negative and some positive aspects of it, at least how I see them. It is something that crosses my mind often, for all the comforts and pleasures it brings, there are some dark sides, things that get lost, and I think I'll be able to make something out of it. It's not really a recent 'event', but I hope it classifies as a 'situation'.
    I really want to do this well, so if you think this strays too far from the assignment, let me know, I still have time to make up something else. I'll have some sketches ready soon, and I'm curious what the responses/crits on it will be. I made the mistake last time to keep these assignments for myself and not ask others what they think could be improved.

My policy is 'no post without a picture', so here ya go, a recent photo of a painting of mine. The photo kills it though, nasty glares and all. Still, enough for an impression (of an impression...).

Thanks
    So here I am once more...with some speedpaintings/WIPs. First up is a piece somewhat inspired I guess by mr. Jones. I love the way he is able to put energy into a piece with his bright colours and brilliant use of geometric shapes and random cliparty stamps. This is only a far cry of his work, but it was nice working with some brighter colours and a more relaxed stroke. Second is of a whole different order. Somehow I got the idea to paint a flag bearer, and this is the result of hardly half an hour just laying in basic planes. Fun to work with backlighting as well.

Last edited by Yngling; April 8th, 2008 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks
    Some (shaky-lined!) cowboys and an update on the flagbearer for you! Damn i need to work on my brush & ink skills.

*edit* Wow, I have just been promoted to the rank of Catervarii! I don't think I've ever written so much posts on one forum!

Last edited by Yngling; June 4th, 2008 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks
    Some more random stuff for the book. I scanned a few pages from my small sketchbook, where I occasionally just sketch away. One was done with a calligraphic pen. I like calligraphy, and especially arabic, because it's more like a form of art than just writing. This is just a weak imitation, but fun to do nonetheless. Perhaps something to explore in the future? Others are just anatomy practices and some attempt at working loosely with charcoal. Lovely medium, but very vulnerable when not fixated. O and yes, a little thumbish picture of one of the assignments I'm working on. I'm going to do 4 pieces, 2 good things about living in this age, and 2 bad. This one's about mass culture, which I don't like too much, I'm a man of obscurities. The tv is supposed to be a symbol of that. Anyway, need to work this out quickly, have to do all 4 before friday next week!

Thanks
    I somehow got the idea of drawing a 'chess knight', a knight based on the shape of a chess piece. Unfortunately I am not a chess connaiseur so I mixed up some elements, but it turned out pretty good. I think I'll do some more of these (and with some ref!).

Thanks
    I'm in a great mood! Last friday was chance #2 to get into art school next year. If you read back a little, I've been declined on one already, which was a real dissappointment, but also a learning experience. This time I was more prepared. Anyway, the admissions lasted a whole day this time. In the morning, I had to leave my portfolio on a table for the first round of selection. The teachers would go over all portfolios (there were about 80 entrants!) and decide who would go on to the next round (it was almost like one of those horrible idol-programs). After a awful 3 hours of waiting, which was truly nerve-wracking, the lucky few were announced, and guess what, of all 80 entrants only about 15 were selected, including me! After this there were individual interviews, and we had to work on an assignment for the rest of the time. All in all, I'm really optimistic! The interview went well, the assignment (which will be judged as well), although not finished, turned out pretty well, and there were some nice people among the selected. Only thing missing is the official confirmation. Still, I guess I'd better wait for that before I jump tot conclusions. Nothing would bring me down more than another 'no'.

On to some pictures. Here are my 4 pieces for the assignment. They are all comments on modern society, but in a different jacket. 2 of them had to be positive, 2 negative. These were done in 3 days, I had to work very hard to get them done in time. Perhaps pencil wasn't the best choice, but I made it anyway. There are perspective problems, compositional things I'm not too happy with, but for the short amount of time, not a bad result IMO.

Thanks
    Hello again! To my utter surprise I got a letter yesterday with a confirmation of my suspicions: I've been admitted at the HKU in Utrecht! I'm really looking forward to go there, getting into it is one thing, but the adventure only really starts here. I'm very happy I did it.

Today was (and still is) a lazy vacation day. It's raining outside, so I've been fooling around a bit. First up is something unique for me...some years ago, for some reason, I gave up on aquarel (watercolours) because I couldn't work with it. Stupid of course, because it is a wonderful medium and I've seen beautiful works done with it. Now I'd like to try and become more confident with it, so I've done this little thing. I didn't work from a sketch, so it got a little off, the eyes are not properly aligned and that sort of trouble. Still, I had fun doing this, so more will follow, with (hopefully) better results.
    Second is a sketch of a tree with charcoal. I love trees, I love charcoal, so it's definitely something to do more often. Last is my humble attempt at impressionism. It's pretty small and done quickly, but I discovered yet another interesting technique that I might be experimenting with more in the future.

Thanks
    This is it...I'm quitting CA.org for the next 3 weeks! Seriously, I have my final exams in only 1.5 week, and CA is waaay too distracting for me. I'll be back when exams are over. In the meantime, I have only this to show you. See you in 3 weeks!

Thanks
    So...I didn't quite keep my promise, I had a shot at some work for Deep during my exams (not much, but still...). In the past few days I've been sketching some too. I actually bought myself a fancy Moleskine sketchbook, it looked so classy, I had to have one. Besides, I like the yellowy paper much more than the ultra-white paper I usually draw upon. So here you have some Deep sketches, something from my Moleskine book and a couple of rather crude anatomy sketches. I absolutely need to do more of those, if only to get rid of that horrible, sculptoresque linework. It actually feels like I need to hack out the shapes instead of loosely putting them down. I hate that.

BTW, I'm in a really good mood today because our cat just brought four wonderful kittens into this world. I might be a guy, but even I can't resist the charm of the little creatures

Last edited by Yngling; June 4th, 2008 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks
    Trying to get ideas flowing for the Deep contest. This is a little sketch I did for an environment, some sort of entrance to the Great Shell, a huge shell-like construction hiding a vast and lively city. Not sure yet if this is the way I want it to look, but it's a nice start and a chance to practice an underwater colourscheme.

Thanks
    This sketchbook is really looking solid. Keep focusing on your studies and keep practicing. Good luck with design school as well. For me it was a great experience and it looks like you've got a head start. Keep it up.

Thanks
    I can't believe it's been more than a month already since my last post...due to some hectic times involving attempts to get work and the purchase of a brand new laptop, I just couldn't find the time to scan some stuff. Now I've finally but barely managed to scan a bit. There's more to come, however.

Here's some 'ancient' stuff from when I foolishly attempted to get something together for the Deep contest, while also learning for exams, which I passed wonderfully BTW. Also included are some sketches from my Moleskine sketchbook.

I'll try to bring my SB more up to date soon.

Last edited by Yngling; August 17th, 2008 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks
    Some more...

Thanks
    And again some more...First one is still WIP, done in acrylics. Need to finish that one some time soon.

Thanks
    More sketchbook scans. Somehow I haven't got the scanner set up properly, for I need to adjust each and every image to get something that resembles the original...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1