Sketchbook: Yngling || Scribbling and scratching on the paper... - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The fun has only just started! I've begun rendering the fleshy bits, perhaps a bit of a waste because some of it will be covered by the dress (there will be one later!). Doesn't matter, if I continue at this pace I will have no problem finishing before next sunday. Some parts were a real pain, such as the right hand. I'm still not sure if it's ok this way. Also, the head caused some trouble as I hadn't figured out how it would look. All in all, I'm satisfied with the progress, I've even put on a colour layer to see what it will be like that way. I see now that I need to 'push my values' a bit, the light parts aren't as light as they could be.

*Edit* : Wooo! Page number twooo! May there be many more!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some last minute sketches...not that much, but I'll show you anyway. After all, this IS a sketchbook and I will fill it with all the good ones, and possibly bad ones, I do. But only if it's worth scanning of course That cat btw was drawn from life, though cats don't make very good models. When they're not wandering about they are asleep, and twist themselves into the oddest shapes so you wouldn't even know where the head is...why don't they ever just sit still?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy new year to all of you! May you grind many pencils to stumps this year! I'll kick off the year with some studies, nothing spectacular, but all too necessary. First up is a skeleton study, from the head so not very accurate. I did these with some very large charcoal sticks, which was a pain to work with so small. Should buy me some smaller ones. I see now that it was damaged a bit, charcoal is so delicate! It comes off all too easy when not fixated.
    The other is another sort of study. From the head again, so it is no wonder the back is a bit screwed...I like the pose though, I'm not all that good at getting the lines to flow and creating dynamic poses. She's a bit of a midget really, looking at her legs more carefully...I should REALLY watch my proportions. The other head is a bit off, I know, something I still struggle with.
    About the CHOW piece, I'm working very hard to get it done, but progress is very slow now with all the details going on so I'll just give you an update when I have made some serious progress. One can have too many WIP shots too...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went to the library the other day and to my surprise found a copy of some book by Burne Hogarth (don't know the title, it was a translated version). It seems like a nice book so I'll start copying some work from it before I have to return it again. Starting off with some hands, they're one of my weak spots, along with feet. It was pretty fun to do, with all the flowy lines and such, but man, that Hogarth draws some boney hands! Exaggeration might be a good way to learn I guess...O yeah, I ordered Bridgmans Constructive Anatomy and A Hundred Hands today too! I'm all set for some anatomical studying!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmm perhaps an update on my CHOW again? I really have to wrap it up now, because my deadline will be coming friday, due to being somewhere else in the weekend. BG needs more work, I focused mainly on the figure. The underside of the dress is in the middle of refining, the throne needs some attention and the whole thing needs some colour. Lots of work to do yet!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a sketchbook, so let's bring on the sketches! I have some for you. They're not all very good, but fun enough in their own way. First is small character sketch, and a loose Hogarth copy again. Next one was more of a test for my new colour pencils, Derwent Coloursoft, so never mind the odd characters going on. Before you ask me, I'm not french, but somehow whenever I have to name a character I always give them french names. That paired with my limited amount of knowledge of french might very well result in some heavily incorrect french, sorry about that! Last up is an A4 full of little gesture-ish poses. It was a little excercise for me in coming up with flowing poses. It was fun coming up with all sorts of weird movements and such.

Edit: Some more gestures added. Very quick sketching in PS.

Last edited by Yngling; January 4th, 2008 at 05:57 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hurray! CHOW finished and posted in the finals section! Please, do vote for me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook, Yngling, you seem to be making good progress :)

(Btw, gezien je Nederlands bent; ben je toevallig dezelfde Yngling die vroeger op WoW-Frostwhisper speelde? Zo niet, negeer dit gedeelte dan maar :p )

9. The Following User Says Thank You to somnus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I ordered some Bridgman books (Constructive Anatomy & Book of a Hundred Hands) and now that they've finally arrived it's time for some anatomy study! Not very sure how to go to it though. I tried copying but it's not very fun to do, so now I'm just mastering the principles and see if I can apply them myself...I did some in PS, and in pencils. Also included are some early sketches for the next CHOW. The last one was very much a personal success for me and the ideas started coming quickly after seeing the topic. I'll see if I can finish something in time.

Somnus: Nee, dat zal we toeval zijn...ik heb nog nooit WoW gespeeld! Yngling is gewoon een aanpassing van mijn echte naam, Yngwie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was just throwing some ideas around in PS for the next CHOW and I suddenly found myself painting a whole piece! I'm becoming more and more confident with PS. I'm not sure on the colours yet, I find it hard to come up with a good colour scheme. I've als done some more Bridgman studies in ink.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yet more Bridgman studies, and a bit of doodling in PS...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A page full of heads, some dull, some coulourful...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I photographed some old paintings of mine. By "old" I mean more than 2 months ago to some years ago. Voila!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really think it is extreme unfair that you didnt received any comment so far. You studies look amazing, all of them.
    Your stuff looks promising! Keep it up!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Carbono For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phew! Back at last! I had a test week (I'm in my last year of high school right now) so I couldn't update. Today I went to see one of my possible future schools, and I must say, I was impressed! Downside to it is that I have to move and rent a room, since it is too far away to take the train every morning.

Here are some random things, something I did for my younger brother (not completely finished) and a little pen...thing done after watching some great book illustrations and engravings (is that the word?), some of them by the mighty Gustave Doré. Not quite as good, but fun nonetheless.

Carbono: Thank you for your encouraging comment! I was beginning to feel abit lonely here, talking to myself

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been a lousy updater lately...not that I don't sketch, there's no single day I don't, but mostly small stuff, random stuff, unfinished stuff. That combined with my apparent fear of filling a whole page leaves not much to show, so I put some together in one picture. The rest is just scribbles, and another page of small gesture-ish figures. I love doing these, just thinking up all sorts of poses and try to draw them as dynamic as possible with only a few lines. Great practice, as I've noticed, because my lines are getting more confident. Where I needed like 3 strokes before to get a decent line, I'm now actually able to do so in one, with some weight added in the right spots afterwards. Anyway, enough ramble, here's the pictures!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Need...to...update!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Random anatomy doodling, and a factory girl sketch. I don't know exactly why, but after I saw some photograph of a woman assembling tank shells, I've become intrigued by it...

Last edited by Yngling; February 18th, 2008 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In between all the school nonsense and general chaoticness there's still some time for a bit of mindless doodling/painting, so here you have some quick things done in PS. First is a very rough block-in of some astronaut, who has emerged from a few random blotches I put on the 'canvas'. Second is the same story: a rough idea worked out on the go. The background is obviously a placeholder, I have no idea yet what to put there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Progressing with the piece I started a while ago...gave it a more sinister twist and added a background. Second is another page with some faces. This time I went a bit overboard on the rendering perhaps, not focusing on the proportions...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, you're doing great here! You seem very passionate about drawing, great job with all these studies here. Your colour works are on the right track, they seem to get better with each one. I've really nothing to crit especially, you're doing the right things here, now just keep at it!

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

24. The Following User Says Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick brush test with ink...bought myself a brush earlier today. I didn't have any that was small enough for inking, now I have! Pretty fun, but it has mercilessly confronted me with my shaky hand...I need much more practice drawing lines!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been thinking about doing some book illustrations in ink for a long time now, and now I've decided to illustrate Edgar Allan Poe's "Fall of the House of Usher". In less than two weeks I also have an admission interview at an art academy I applied to...would be perfect if I could finish some before that.
    Ok, first page was just coming up with ideas and thumbs for the first image, as the narrator stands before the house of Usher. I went with the third, and then searched the net for some reference on the horse especially, not something I would dare draw without. These are not really 'clean' drawings, whenever I focus on getting raw ideas onto the paper, line quality is something that I don't care too much about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice sketches and studies, I like this little full body sketches, they're really dynamic.

Forgive me my bad english

my sketchbook and my homepage

28. The Following User Says Thank You to skorpi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your inking is really nice. I also like your anatomy study. Keep it up.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to tmyohlaing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last minute update before I'm off to bed: I did an ink sketch of the book illustration I worked on earlier today. It's really rough and messy, and somehow didn't scan too well (blotchy ink, not visible on original?!?) Still, it turned out pretty wel,l and now I just have to work it out on a larger scale and better paper, and with some more patience! Oh yeah, I also have done something...well...out of the ordinary, at least it was a first for me...I'll scan it tomorrow when it's done. Yay for creativity!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 634 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    a lot of different things in this sketchbook, good to see! keep up all the bridgman stuff, it's invaluable. maybe also do some outdoor stuff? photo studies, and atmospheric perspective, and colors. that would be awesome.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AsaB, Skorpi & Tmyohlaing: Thanks!
    Algenpfleger: Thank you! I like to experiment with different media and techniques. And yeah, I need some enviro's in here! I have done some a while ago, but they were speedies and not too impressive. Sounds like a nice idea!

I just love vacations...it gives me more time to draw! Here's something I did this morning. It started out, believe it or not, as a Bridgman study, but somehow the trapezius muscle (I think) turned into a hood, and the rest just followed from that...seemed like a nice enough idea to colour in PS, and here's what I got until now.

Last edited by Yngling; February 26th, 2008 at 10:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, back on popular demand: Bridgman studies! As one of my anatomical weaknesses, hands are one of my favourite things to study. They're so complicated! I don't know if copying really helps me understand how a hand works, I tend to focus more on getting the proportions right than really 'getting' the muscles and bone structures. Still, I guess these never hurt...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been busy the last few days with some pieces for my portfolio. My admissions interview is only one and a half week away...exciting!!! The first is an illustration I've been working on for a while. I posted some studies earlier. It's well underway now, pretty timeconsuming work, but fun nonetheless. Not exactly happy with everything, but still ok.

Second is something I promised to post yesterday...it's for a specific assignment. I had to do something with the theme 'Order in the Chaos', having to do with the chaos of images bombarding us daily, and the assignment was to gather these images and somehow order them to create a new image. I thought immediately of human perception in general: our eyes collect all sorts of data without a specific context, and our brain orders all this into a recognizable image. The idea then was to use random pieces of paper, torn from advertising material, and make a mosaic out of them. A bit different for me but I've had fun glueing this together. As you can see it's not finished yet, flesh coloured bits are hard to find!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1