Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    Thanks
    Last night I sat down and painted this quick still life in acrylics. It's messy, and victim to some...unfortunate decisions, but I like it.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Sooo, I've been taking things slowly...started up a new project for myself. I intend to do some exploration into sequentials and storytelling. In other words, I'll try my hand at some comics.
    To start off, I'm doing my research. Since I plan to have at least one story set within medieval times, that's what I've concentrated on. I went to visit a castle nearby to get some inspiration, and I made a sketch of it. I did another one at larger scale, but somehow my pencil technique lends itself better to smaller pieces...
    Anyway, here's some of the more pictorial pages of my sketchbook, where I note down my ideas. They're mostly character sketches, who might find their way into the cast somehow. Some dodgy poses and constructions here and there but it's the idea that counts.

To end this post, some black-and-white sketches from the same sketchbook. I tried a technique that I used digitally, this time with acrylics. It works lovely!

Thanks
    The studies are looking sweet man, workin that black acrylic!
    Im excited to see what you come up with for this comic! Theres a nice range of characters there. What kind of story where you thinking? Hero vs villian type thing?
    I really wanted to start a comic or something after writing a script this year, best advice I can give you is find someone to be critical with you that really knows good story. If you can
    Oh and what did you mean your pencil technique is better for smaller pieces? Like you dont really have a long stroke? I think Ive gotten more into bigger strokes since I started life drawing haha.
    PS. Sorry about the world cup. But hey! Ireland didnt even make it in HAHA
    PPS. Digital technique using acrylics? Im intrigued!

Thanks
    HOMYYYYGOAD!!!

The last 3 pages were a blast for my eys to take in! you are making such great images in a variety of different ways and mediums. To put it simple there is just so much going on and being put on show here....
    simply flabbergasted.

Thanks
    I love your black acrylic/white paper work, its really interesting and fresh, and I always enjoy seeing peoples sketchbooks.
    thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing some more!

Thanks
    Malakuko: Thank you kindly. The story will probably center around a dukes court, seen through the eyes of a musician, but more on that later... I meant that the way I usually sketch with pencil is in very small format, where a small mark can imply a lot. On a larger scale, this is less so, and I am more confronted with the limits of pencil. It is predominantly a linear instrument that can't handle large areas of tone as well. For that I rather use chalk like Conté, which has some of the best of both. But that's all just a matter of preference.

To the PSes: I don't care much for soccer, but it's a pity yeah. About the digital technique, it's not that exciting. When working in PS I used to start from a middle grey tone and work up towards white and down to black from that. It makes the values more manageable.

Liam Harvey: Reactions like that are always a treat I'm glad you like what I do, I'll keep doing it!

Capital G: Those are so much fun to do. And especially for you, I present:

...more sketchbook pages! During the 3 weeks of holiday I have just come back from, I have attempted to flesh out the concept for my little graphic novel project. Lots of writing and loose ideas but no solid plot yet.

It will be more political in nature, and centers around a possible betrayal to take place during a court feast, but mostly it will be about preventing it from happening. It's like a crime story, but the crime has yet to be committed, or might not be committed at all. So far the vague descriptions...

Here's some pages with text and sketches, some more elaborate than others. They help me visualize the world I'm thinking up. I'm especially pleased with the row of tiny people, that was mighty fun to draw.

Last edited by Yngling; August 7th, 2010 at 05:18 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yngling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok, I'll divide this in manageable portions. During my holiday I also found some time to paint. Not much, but some. I took another shot at plein-air painting.

The first time, I was forced to stop mid-session because of heavy rain messing up my work. Unfortunately, it would continue to rain for many days to come, so there went my plans. To make up for this, I painted the towels from the bungalow I stayed in. Then I went on to do some colour studies after reading a fantastic book, written by Johannes Itten, about colour theory. They were just coloured squares, so I won't bore you with that, but I do recommend that book to anyone.
    At last I found an opportunity to paint outside again, so I did another plein-air. I worked on it for little over an hour, before the park I was in closed and I had to quit. Oh the hardships I had to endure

All were done in acrylics.

Thanks
    I'll conclude this holiday update with assorted studies in Conté (and one in ink) from observation. I took a trip to the zoo, went to a castle, and saw lots of trees...

edit: forgot to add the castle...

Last edited by Yngling; August 7th, 2010 at 05:17 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Yngling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yum. tasty pictures!

thanks for sharing man, it's quite motivating.

but i may be pointing fingers if i keep drawing when it is far more sensible (and healthy?) to be sleeping.

but seriously, excellent work. Dont stop.

Thanks
    Really nice batch of updates, they betray shitloads of skill.Interesting way of using complimentary colours in that forest painting, and the tree drawings have a pleasant vibe too. Always fun to pop into this SB for sure!

Thanks
    Liam Harvey, Walnut: Thanks a lot, guys

Today, I took my 1/2 scale anatomy model and a scarf, and posed it sitting on a drum. I started out with a digital painting, that was well underway when suddenly, my model collapsed right in front of me. In a very awkward way, too. So, I left the digital piece the way it was, and made a quicker charcoal drawing of the poor skeleton. My charcoal handling has become a bit rusty...

Thanks
    haha. loving the updates; great stuff. what's your most challenging medium at the moment?

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Wow great stuff!!! I reallu enjoy these b&w`s
    Cheers!