Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Yngling || Scribbling and scratching on the paper...

Thanks
    A little late, but here is a selection of some skecthes I did during my vacation. Scanning these I noticed how much open space I leave on my pages...I'll try to fill them more next time...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nothing like spending a sunday morning painting! Here is the result. I'm quite happy with how the forms and the lighting came out, I feel like it's really a bit of a breakthrough for my digital skills. I had some trouble with the foreshortened arms, but it looks ok now. I don't really know how to take it further, perhaps I'll pick it up later and finish it.

Thanks
    Another update! I revisited an oil sketch I made a few days ago. I really ruined it by trying to color the background, so I scanned it and reworked it in Photoshop. The result is pretty nice. There's something about the turban that's not really right, but it was only a quick sketch and I'm very satisfied with the face especially.
    Last edited by Yngling; November 4th, 2007 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks
    Well, it's a bit of a lousy update but I've been really busy lately. I'm doing an oil painting for my stepdad who will celebrate his 50th birthday soon, and that combined with some important school tests has left me with very little time to sketch...here's a quick PS sketch I just made, and another one from a few days ago. PS is still hard for me, but I'm learning it.

Edit- I've added a more refined version of my goblin sketch. I like the outline effect I made, but I'm unsure if it fits the image. I was just toying around a bit.
    Last edited by Yngling; November 14th, 2007 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks
    So, I've been away for a while, due to some business that demanded a lot of attention (damn holidays). It's not that I haven't sketched in the mean time, but I lack the time and will to scan stuff so I'll just present you a WIP piece, very unoriginal but hey, perfect for practice. What started out as a simple linedrawing (which kind of sucked, I'm horrible at drawing good lines with my tablet) has now been coloured. When the whole end-of-year ordeal is over, I promise to be a little more active in this SB.

Thanks
    I'm planning on doing a series of paintings, either digital or in oils, with music as a theme. I've chosen a few songs form bands I like, and will try to capture both lyrical subject and musical mood in one picture. First one I'm going to do is the song "The Hanging Tree" by progrock band Arena. That song just gives me the goosebumps everytime, and it's so wonderfully calm. I want to portray that lonely feeling, of a traveller who returns to the "roots" of this massive tree that calls to him. I've done a quick study in aquarels, to get an idea of the mood I want. Aquarels are really hard for me, but they're great for studies like this.

Thanks
    I've decided to try doing the Hanging Tree in digital, quite a challenge because I'm not too experienced with it. But I'll never learn it if I don't try to use it. So here's a little WIP, mainly focused on getting the colour right. It will become darker later on.

Thanks
    What can I say? Another update on the hanging tree...

Thanks
    So, it's been a while since my last update! I guess when my agenda becomes busy, it's the internet that has to wait. Not sure if that is a bad thing though...Anyway, I've sketched around a bit lately, partly for CHOW 100 and also some random stuff, like the extremely colourful head below, or the man in the suit. And yes, also a little christmas card...

Thanks
    After several attempts at doing my sketches digitally it was a relief to come back to normal pencils again. Digital media are great, especially in the hands of professionals, but for pure working pleasure I absolutely prefer good old analog media. I'm still thinking of doing the final for CHOW 100 with oils.
    Anyway, here is a sketch I'm very satisifed with. I dug up some reference on Greek clothing and found some interesting styles and patterns that I've tried to work into my sketch.
    On the character side of it, I read some versions of the Medusa myth and fell for one particular story, with Medusa being not so much of an evil lady, but a mortal woman who has become victim of yet another quarrel of the gods.

Medusa was originally the high priestess of a fertility cult worshipping the sea, and one night, during a sacred ritual, Poseidon himself came to visit this cult. He slept with the priestess, and made her pregnant. Athena punished her for doing this, and turned her beautiful hair into a nest of snakes. She also tried to steal away her beauty, but the power of the half-god growing inside her prevented the curse from fully taking effect. Her gaze however was so frightening that it turned men into stone. Therefore she covered her eyes, and lived on blindfolded. This was not enough for Athena, so she sent the hero Perseus to kill her.

This version of the myth makes Medusa a more tragic character, victimized by the wrath of Athena.

Thanks
    Medusa is nicee! You should make it more interesting though, make her do something. Add story to your piece.

Keep it up mate! Do some more studies?!

Good luck to you,

Frans
    Digital Painting | v8ART.net
    Visit my Blog for a Crazy Adventure down the Art lane - v8ART

Best educational digital art blog ever - Ctrl+Paint

Pillage & Plunder - Sketchbook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Vigilandus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Woo! A comment Dank je, Frans! You're right, it's all a bit static right now, but this is not the final pose. It was more of a study for the dress. Now I've got to bring her alive! Not sure how though, I'll keep doing sketches for the next couple of days. January 6th seems so far away, but I know I'll have to step on it now. As for the studies, I really, really should get a good anatomy book...can't seem to find anything in the bookstores, maybe I should try the internet.

Thanks
    Make sure to upload the sketches. About the books: Ask nicely and maybe some'll send you some good loomis pdf's or whatever on IRC.

And UPDATE! I want to see more.
    Digital Painting | v8ART.net
    Visit my Blog for a Crazy Adventure down the Art lane - v8ART

Best educational digital art blog ever - Ctrl+Paint

Pillage & Plunder - Sketchbook

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Vigilandus For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast